What's new

Keep your DE blades sharp !

Icebear, I'm not so good with my science facts but I believe nowadays they can fashion a magnet into any shape and size, so going by your theory... a magnetized blade would be the ultimate whisker-whackin' bristle-snapper or am I getting it all wrong again?

I guess not, as well as you can't pull yourself out of a swamp by grabbing your on hair, a magnetized or magnet shaped blade can not sharpen itself.

Magnets don't do anything but attract or repel. They have no effect on the longevity of razor blades. They also have no effect on arthritis, gout, balance, or any of the other many things that people claim they can do.

Having said that, there's probably no harm in resting a razor on a magnet, and what Icebear wants to do with his razors doesn't affect me in any way.

OK folks, I'm givin' in.
Obviously no one is curious enough to try it himself and man enough to admit that it works but maybe in 2 weeks the first converts will show up, there's still a little hope:001_tongu:001_tongu Happy shaving anyway.

Why the hell are some people here so resistant to analysing things to determine how/why/if something works? Why the knee-jerk resorting to sarcasm as soon as they read something they don't already believe in? Jeez.
  • Thin blade edges can be bent over in use (especially by all you "my beard is super-tough, and I HAVE to use a steep blade angle to get a good shave" guys.) *
  • Blade edges, being super-thin, only need small forces to bend them.
  • In the OP photos, assuming the magnet has a pole pointing up (I'm willing to give OP the benefit of the doubt and assume he did so), the blade/edge will be pulled toward the magnet, i.e. in a sharpstraightening direction.
  • Magnetic forces are strong (consider how small a magnet is, yet it can overcome the gravitational field of the entire damn planet.)
  • The magnetic force is going to be focused (strengthened) further by the main body of the blade acting to attract the magnetic field lines.
If you can't see any plausibility in this then you haven't got a clue about scientific thinking.

( * Click for illustration: $alton.jpg)

Last edited:
Why the hell are some people here so resistant to analysing things to determine how/why/if something works? Why the knee-jerk resorting to sarcasm as soon as they read something they don't already believe in? Jeez.
  • Thin blade edges can be bent over in use (especially by all you "my beard is super-tough, and I HAVE to use a steep blade angle to get a good shave" guys.) *
  • Blade edges, being super-thin, only need small forces to bend them.
  • In the OP photos, assuming the magnet has a pole pointing up (I'm willing to give OP the benefit of the doubt and assume he did so), the blade/edge will be pulled toward the magnet, i.e. in a sharpstraightening direction.
  • Magnetic forces are strong (consider how small a magnet is, yet it can overcome the gravitational field of the entire damn planet.)
  • The magnetic force is going to be focused (strengthened) further by the main body of the blade acting to attract the magnetic field lines.
If you can't see any plausibility in this then you haven't got a clue about scientific thinking.

( * Click for illustration: View attachment 219749)

Whow, thanks a lot Ray, a senior member as a supporter after all the fun folks were having :thumbup1:.
The "little" magnet the Mergress is resting on is 40 x15 x 5 mm and holds 9.6kg (approx 21lbs) acc. to specs.
And just to confirm:
Of course the poles are pointing up/down vertically from the flat surface not from the horizontally from the small ends.

I don't need to try bloodletting to cure (fill in the blank) to know that it does not work.

And no, I will not try the magnet trick... I can guarantee that it won't work for me because I shave with a straight and laying the edge down on a magnet would certainly be counter productive.

I don't need to try bloodletting to cure (fill in the blank) to know that it does not work.

And no, I will not try the magnet trick... I can guarantee that it won't work for me because I shave with a straight and laying the edge down on a magnet would certainly be counter productive.

Yeah ! You are absolutely right it ain't working for for straights directly put on the magnet but that's why I called the thread " Keep your DE blades sharp" and posted photos as well:001_cool:.

Last edited:
Data to go with it would be awesome.

Yeah sure, as I don't have an electron microscope nor any other means of scientific testing, this is just based on "consumer perception" that it works. I'm not gonna heavily invest just to show some proof that it works. As I have no financial interest in this , just sharing an experience, I'm under no pressure to convince people to press the "buy now button" on my non existant website. Anyone giving this a resonable tought and who is curious enough can try it himself.

The investment fo $2 to 3 for getting a magnet and potentially extend the usability period of your blades 3 to 4 times is something I'd consider a fair chance. Definately is much less expensive than buying a tub of new soap that someone was raving about and it truns out you don't like the scent.

If it turns out to be working for you, as it does for me, the announcment of shavepockalypse will just put a relaxed smile on your face because you have your secret weapon in the drawer:001_tongu:wink2::lol::thumbup:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I made the world's smallest tinfoil hat for my razor. Works like a charm.

There is no scientific proof of any kind just personal experience.

Not true- there is plenty of scientific proof regarding most forms of junk science.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You have as much evidence of those who claim that chanting "sharpa sharpa sharpa" at their blades 3 times a day aids longevity, which is none

But this actually does work! I tried it this morning, right after bleeding the ill humours with leeches.

Having practiced medicine for 37 years I have seen many discoveries/inventions proffered with detailed explanations of the hard science behind it, all internally consistent and convincing, only to be disproven when more data comes in and, disturbingly, sometimes later proven "true" again!! What we need here is someone with a microscope, some blades, strong magnets, and two of the same razor. Shave with alternating strokes with alternating razors, inspect and if possible take photomicrographs (some members here have done this before) with one razor getting the magnet treatment and the other stored well away. You should have preliminary data in a week. and NO, I won't do this, just a suggestion to put the matter to rest and stop the bickering!

Top Bottom