What's new

Keep your DE blades sharp !

Hey guys, just to clarify, I'm not making a claim that this works. I'm doing a general observation at this point. I don't want to take the care of being absolutely precise and whatnot - not at this stage. I'm really not biased -- I have no idea if it will work, and I don't care one way or the other. Icebear has formed a hypothesis based on his personal observations. Others appear to be insulted at his suggestion. I don't enjoy seeing someone get mocked or ridiculed. So I felt moved to do what seemed fair and see if I can observe any difference in blade longevity myself. I really think the observation stage is fun and non-laborious. If someone else wants to do double-blind controlled experiments, or whatever, that's great - it's just not my cup of tea. I'll let my general observations either lead me away from this idea or towards use. I'm not learned enough to make a hypothesis on HOW or WHY magnetic fields affect blade longetivity, but if it works, I don't need to know how. I don't need to know how a battery cell works to power something, and except for curiosity's sake, I don't care to know the specifics.

Here's a reminder of the steps to forming a theory, which I knew but had to look up to remind me:
1. Observe
2. Hypothesize different possibilities based on observations
3. Experiment
4. Report results to others
5. Others also test the hypothesis through observation & experimentation
6. Over time with lots of folks doing the-above-steps it becomes a theory

Hi there AnakiMana,

that's the spirit, thanks a lot for being open minded enough to give it a fair try. I was quite surprised by the emotional reactions of some folks but I don't mind. I don't have to prove it to anyone, I'm not selling anything and for me it works, so I just shared an expericence that's all. But obviously it interesting enough for many members to read :biggrin1:

I skipped shaving on Sunday, but picked it up again today. The 4th shave with non-magnet razor was problem-free. In my rush, however, I forgot to perform the aftershave sting-test. I do believe it felt about the same as the previous couple of shaves with this razor. I believe it would have stung just a little, like usual, had I applied the 4711 AS.

Back when I used to do 3-pass shaves with touch-ups, these blades usually got tossed after the 4th shave. Since I'm doing 2-pass shaves with no touch-ups (which I prefer now), I'm still about 4 passes (two shaves) behind my expected tossing-point. I'll keep the updates coming.

Attachments

• $IMG_20120305_225052.jpg
    $IMG_20120305_225052.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 239
I've now shaved 5 times with the magnet-Red Tip SS. I've shaved a 6th time with the non-magnet one.

My shaves with both are still very comfortable. I don't think I've noticed any blade deterioration at all yet. I'm happy that my Feathers are lasting this long, but I can't draw any conclusions yet because they're both about the same.

I will be out of town for a couple of days and I'm leaving these Red Tips at home. Going back to my Merkur slant bar while I'm away. :) It feels like I've been neglecting it for way too long.

Hi there,

you get up really early AnakiMana, you can't wait 'til the morning shave? :biggrin1:
Thanks for the update and have a nice trip.You could take the simple ferrit magnet and use it for the slant while the red tip is resting at home on the neodym version.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think my biggest problem with believing this unsubstantiated theory is simply economics.

We are a niche market with DE and SE blades and the vast majority of people are shaving with multiblade monstrosities that require a second mortgage to purchase.
If this were an effective means to prolong blade life, then there would be a plethora of companies out there producing them, not just the few snake oil storefronts that are selling them.

Profit is a HUGE motivator, and white papers would abound on the idea, but the only folks writing about these (outside our clique) are the folks who are selling the devices, and the folks selling the devices without exception have very dubious claims in their advertisements.

Follow the money trail is a truism that people sometimes forget.
It is my personal opinion that if this were effective and proveable, manufacturers would be jumping on the bandwagon like the New Orleans Saints on an opposing Quarterback.
Just another example of how profit motivates. :w00t:

I think my biggest problem with believing this unsubstantiated theory is simply economics.

We are a niche market with DE and SE blades and the vast majority of people are shaving with multiblade monstrosities that require a second mortgage to purchase.
If this were an effective means to prolong blade life, then there would be a plethora of companies out there producing them, not just the few snake oil storefronts that are selling them.

Profit is a HUGE motivator, and white papers would abound on the idea, but the only folks writing about these (outside our clique) are the folks who are selling the devices, and the folks selling the devices without exception have very dubious claims in their advertisements.

Follow the money trail is a truism that people sometimes forget.
It is my personal opinion that if this were effective and proveable, manufacturers would be jumping on the bandwagon like the New Orleans Saints on an opposing Quarterback.
Just another example of how profit motivates. :w00t:

Hi Phil,
I totally agree that economics is key here but I come to the oppisite conclusion and here is why :

You make more money selling cartidge razor blades that need replacements on a pretty regular basis. Selling something that cuts 75% off these profits on a one time basis does not seem to yield a fraction of the money. I personally wouldn't buy any "blade boy" or whatever being advertised with some doubious "facts" and no real proof.

That's indeed why I went cheap and bought a simple magnet, worth less than a 5 pack of cartidges and .. it works. Why this is has not taken on with more folks, I have no clue. Maybe it's just a matter of economic times until the weekly purchase of cartridges burns so much in your pocket, that it will get some people start thinking how to cut back these costs. I guess that's also why the cartridge blade packs are heavily secured and locked up or directly behind the cashiers desk in a lot of places.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hi Phil,
I totally agree that economics is key here but I come to the oppisite conclusion and here is why :

You make more money selling cartidge razor blades that need replacements on a pretty regular basis. Selling something that cuts 75% off these profits on a one time basis does not seem to yield a fraction of the money. I personally wouldn't buy any "blade boy" or whatever being advertised with some doubious "facts" and no real proof.

That's indeed why I went cheap and bought a simple magnet, worth less than a 5 pack of cartidges and .. it works. Why this is has not taken on with more folks, I have no clue. Maybe it's just a matter of economic times until the weekly purchase of cartridges burns so much in your pocket, that it will get some people start thinking how to cut back these costs. I guess that's also why the cartridge blade packs are heavily secured and locked up or directly behind the cashiers desk in a lot of places.

Sorry for not being clear. I didn't mean the blade sellers would have an interest in making or selling these - of course they wouldn't.

I meant that independant manufacturers would.

If it were possible, there would be a line of people trying to make these things to sell to people who are spending a fortune on carts.

The high price of carts creates the potential for sales.
People will spend money for sharp blades.
The magnet manufacturers will believe that a legitimate product will successfully direct some of the money away from cart sales and into their pockets for the magnet sharpener.

I think that I can sum up my belief as follows;

If it is legitimate, then legitimate manufacturers will try to get in on it to make a profit.
If it is bogus, then unscrupulous manufacturers will try to get in on it to make a profit.

The difference is always in the numbers.

A legitimate product usually has a larger number of available sources for the product. A bogus product usually has a very small set of sources to procure the item from.

Hey guys, it has been a while since I've updated you. Other than 2 shaves that I skipped, I've been continuing my experiment, alternating between the magnet and non-magnet applied Red Tips.

I'm STILL using those same Feathers in both razors!

Both are still shaving alright, and both showing some dullness at the same levels. What I mean is that they're tugging a little bit instead of cutting right through the stubble. I'm still getting troublefree shaves, just not as comfortable as before. No bleeding. Aftershave splash on my face afterwards is producing a 2-second sting. (EDIT: The aftershave test is the only thing that makes me want to change blades. I normally don't use aftershave and wouldn't notice anything uncomfortable except a slight tug while shaving.) I can't believe I'm on the same blades, though. I never kept a blade this long before.

BUT, the magnet doesn't appear to be making any difference in my opinion.

Had I not alternated razors, I would have SWORN the magnet was doing something. But I'm equally impressed with how long the non-magnetized razor is lasting.

Last edited:
Hi AnakiMana,

thanks for your effort, I hope you'll continue your experiment and I'm confident the reference blade will have to be discarded soon whereas the one stored on the magnet will last longer.

I know that some sharpening steels for chef knives are magnetized but I was told the reason for that is to catch up the microscopic parts of the blade that the steel would grind off during the use of the steel.

That being said I saw some website a few days ago that sells a product that does this for the fusion and the claim is it has something to do with positive or negative ions(can't remember which) preventing the blade from rusting therefore not getting dull due to rust. I don't know enough about that particular science to say if that is a legit claim or not and I'm not interested enough to actually research it.

For the cheap cost of DE blades I would just rather use then throw away.

I know that some sharpening steels for chef knives are magnetized but I was told the reason for that is to catch up the microscopic parts of the blade that the steel would grind off during the use of the steel......

Hi Sigthorson,
I thought the magentized steels for sharpening chefs knives were for easier handling as the blade gets automaticly in contact and you just stroke it over the steel. But for sure the steel collects the fine particles and you'll have to wipe it off with some kitchen towel.

Back to the orig. thread: my idea was magentic influence of the thinnest edge of the blade that gets pulled towards the magnet but if the magnetic force does have some positive influence preventing corrosion that could also be a possible explanation why/how it works.This will quickly lead into the area of electrochemistry, interesting field but not my piece of cake. Thanks for any further input on what you have found.

I'm continuing to shave with these razors and will report if I notice any new developments. I really missed my rotation during this experiment, so right now I'm basically going back to these every other day and giving love to my other razors & soaps again in between. Funny, I actually had a bad shave from my slant a few days ago and grabbed one of these Red Tips, despite the crazy number of shaves, to finish up without further damage to my face! I really *don't* *want* to like my SS better than my new slant! Must have been a bad blade or I forgot my technique... :eek: The blade in question was a Feather I had kept out because I thought it had more life in it but wanted to shave with Astras for a while. It sat out for weeks unused before I attacked myself with it. :huh:

Hello AnakiMana,

thanks a lot for your continued effort. I know it can be surprising how long a blade can last and the urge is growing to rotate to other razors. A one time used and then unused blade stored in a razor will corrode overtime (unless of course .... :whistling::wink2::biggrin1:).

Another update. I'm still rotating between these two razors and the same Feather blades. I've been shaving every day, and have been doing 3 passes instead of 2 for quite some time. It has been 6 weeks since I began my experiment, so I have 3 weeks of daily shaves on each Feather blade at this point, minus I think 2-3 days on each when I've either skipping shaving for a day or used another razor. I think it's 19 shaves on each Feather so far, and neither of them seem to be deteriorating at all since my update on 3/17. I'm getting really good shaves and no nicks. A bit stingy if I apply aftershave, but no noticeable discomfort post-shave otherwise. Maybe the Red Tip Super Speed is just that awesome and if I transplanted the Feather into another razor I'd need a medic?

Or the awesomeness of the magnet is spreading beyond the blade being directly treated and is improving everything in your life :wink:

I remove the blade from the razor after every shave, rinse it, dry it, and stand it upright against something all day. The soap residue dulls the blade before the blade becomes dull from shaving. I think I could keep a blade going indefinitely doing it this way but I generally replace after about 10 shaves. Same for SE blades.

Just for fun I'm going to reply to an ancient thread. Wouldn't swishing the de razor in alcohol do the exact same thing, and save time, without removing your blade?

Top Bottom