What's new

Any guitar players out there?

I dug these two out of my collection for a recording date just recently. I love them. A lot.
$20160529_122946.jpg

Currently I've got;
Takamine f340 (lawsuit)
what I call the franknstrat (its s genuine strat body that has had the neck replaced, I love the new neck profile though...high gloss finish not so much)
squire strat
and am Currently saving for

I would go with a light gauge string to start off with. I like Martin Clapton. That is what I play on my Martin D28. Your action sounds like it is too high. That will make your fingers hurt because of the group distance you have to push the string down to the fret.I would go with a light gauge string to start off with. I like Martin Clapton. That is what I play on my Martin D28. I would also have the guitar set up. Costs about $30ish. Your action sounds like it is too high. That will make your fingers hurt because of the group distance you have to push the string down to the fret.
Thanks for the advice, I will try those strings and have it set up.

Martin extra light phosphor bronze (e=0.010) would suit your needs aswell, I use them on my Takamine and they are just such friendly warm strings

Guess I can provide a list for my pictures:
Samick GB Malibu-2 (first guitar)
Olympic white partscaster, Dragonfire pickguard, squier classic vibe 50's body, cheap squier neck off the bay.
Michael Kelly Hourglass limited spalted maple.
Agile AL-3200 neck-thru P-90s in tobacco burst.
1979 Gibson es-335
Walnut Telecaster w/ gold hardware (first guitar I partially built)
Green superstrat, second built guitar for Dad. (except neck)
Blue flame maple SG, third built guitar (except neck)
Flying V, bought Dean body then stripped and swirl painted w/ matching hardware. Neck from LTD ex-50
Ibanez Soundgear 400 quilted maple bass. Belongs to Dad.
Seagull Maritime SWS
Vox AC15C1 with Celestion Blue and new tubes.
VHT special 6 ultra on cab built by me with Celestion Greenback from Vox
Peavey Classic Chorus 212
Pedals: Korg pitchblack, Ibanez weeping demon wah, Catalinbread DLS MkIII, DigiTech hardwire delay, and Boss ME-50.

Last edited:
Catalinbread, are you associated with the pedal company as well... or a fan? And nice collection!

dave

No, I hope they don't mind the free advertisement :w00t: I simply looked over at my rig when I was trying to think of a name.
Unfortunately I go long stretches where I don't practice playing. In truth I have as much or more fun coming up with designs and building/setting up guitars than playing them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I need to get a nice sounding, yet beater guitar for college this next year... Any suggestions?

I love my J45, but I would hate to see anything happen to her! I've been looking at a Seagull S6.

I need to get a nice sounding, yet beater guitar for college this next year... Any suggestions?

I love my J45, but I would hate to see anything happen to her! I've been looking at a Seagull S6.

I have a Seagull Coastline S6 folk I bought about 6 months ago which my guitar instructor really likes the sound of. Of course, I'm 70, it's my first guitar and I can't play worth ***t, so I wouldn't know the difference. The one thing I do like is that it stays in tune. I got mine at a local guitar shop so I got to hear the store owner play it. Sounded good, felt good, so I bought it.

You might check the nut width on that if wide fingerboards bother you. I believe my Maritime is 1 11/16th and is only guitar in my stable that throws me off for string spacing. If you're used to wide necks or your hands aren't tiny I'd say go for it.:thumbup1:

This arrived today, going to need some work...

Pretty much knotless, "Knotty Pine" Telecaster body. I have no precious guitars and this will fit right in.

dave

Nice. You decided what you're going to do as far as hardware, finish or electronics yet?

so far all tentative nothing decided... for hardware i've been looking at the brass parts from Armadillo, control cover, bridge plate and saddles.

Finish will be natural so maybe Tru-Oil for the neck or Tried & True- Oil & Beeswax, neither of which i've used. I have a rosewood and two ebony fretboard blanks, one of which i'll use for this.

Electronics, no idea other then i'm going to try to find someone this side of the border but i haven't even begun to look yet.

All very sketchy at this point but there's no rush, lots of time for research and opinions. Been watching for a body for a while and this one came up from a maker in Calgary so i bit, happy i did, about 3.5 lbs depending on which unreliable scale i use.

Will be fun!
dave

so far all tentative nothing decided... for hardware i've been looking at the brass parts from Armadillo, control cover, bridge plate and saddles.

Finish will be natural so maybe Tru-Oil for the neck or Tried & True- Oil & Beeswax, neither of which i've used. I have a rosewood and two ebony fretboard blanks, one of which i'll use for this.

Electronics, no idea other then i'm going to try to find someone this side of the border but i haven't even begun to look yet.

All very sketchy at this point but there's no rush, lots of time for research and opinions. Been watching for a body for a while and this one came up from a maker in Calgary so i bit, happy i did, about 3.5 lbs depending on which unreliable scale i use.

Will be fun!
dave

You been over to TDPRI yet? I'm sure any questions you could possibly think of can be answered there, or for a quick question I'll be happy to try and help. In my walnut tele I went with Dimarzio Twang King pups with a 4 way wiring kit from Stew-Mac and soldered it up in an hour. BTW those pups may be some of my favorites out of all my guitars. A lot of my hardware came from some pretty cheap vendors, and while it works I had to file another slot for just the high E string for spacing across fretboard. Rest of the strings were fine oddly enough.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Will be fun!
dave

Dave, consider a nice bone nut or an iboney nut. I put the iboney nut in my Les Paul, replacing the stock corian nut. I noticed a very nice improvement in sound.

You been over to TDPRI yet? I'm sure any questions you could possibly think of can be answered there, or for a quick question I'll be happy to try and help. In my walnut tele I went with Dimarzio Twang King pups with a 4 way wiring kit from Stew-Mac and soldered it up in an hour. BTW those pups may be some of my favorites out of all my guitars. A lot of my hardware came from some pretty cheap vendors, and while it works I had to file another slot for just the high E string for spacing across fretboard. Rest of the strings were fine oddly enough.

Thanks for the offer! So far I've only skimmed the surface at TDPRI, downloaded some full size plans from there on the weekend after deciding i'd be fabricating the neck, now need to find a large format printer.

Was looking at the 4 way switch but i've also used a 5 way in a two pickup Squier so looking over the options. I've used bits and pieces of Guitar Fetish hardware including a couple sets of tuners and never had an issue so, to go with the Armadillo brass i've had my eye on the Guitar Fetish brass buttoned tuners.

Ideas, ideas, ideas, as the funds become available i'll slowly get the pieces together. Two nearby sellers of luthier's woods so maple for the neck is very easy to come by.

Dave, consider a nice bone nut or an iboney nut. I put the iboney nut in my Les Paul, replacing the stock corian nut. I noticed a very nice improvement in sound.

Yup Aaron that's the stuff, bone is the goto, i do have one guitar with a black Graphtech nut, sonically does it make a difference... who knows, was an aesthetic call, vanity...

Thanks guys!
dave

ps. Is there an easy or intuitive way i'm missing to go about multiple quoting?

Top Bottom