What's new

Any guitar players out there?

I'm almost 70 and bought my 1st guitar before Christmas and started lessons this week. I bought a Seagull folk. I first tried to talk my wife into letting me buy a 64 Fender Strat at the store for $11k, so she was pretty happy I bought the Seagull.

Keep jammin' my man. If she sees improvement she may let you purchase that '64 Strat!!!

I just picked up my first guitar, an ebony Epiphone Les Paul Special II. First time player so I have a long ways to go.

Just pick it up everyday and you'll see improvement. Even if it's just for 5 minutes. That will eventually turn into 30 minutes and then before you know it you'll be slammin' for hours and hours everyday.

$20160109_120454.jpg

I have a Squire Tele and an Epi acoustic, but they don't get much love these days. I spend more of my time on my Kentucky mandolin and my recently acquired Contessa plectrum banjo. I also have an old bowlback mandolin that I'm slowly bringing back to life.

Just pick it up everyday and you'll see improvement. Even if it's just for 5 minutes. That will eventually turn into 30 minutes and then before you know it you'll be slammin' for hours and hours everyday.

Exactly. And if you practice in front of the tv, you'll be up to hours of practice before you realize it. At least, that's how it worked for me when I started.

Exactly. And if you practice in front of the tv, you'll be up to hours of practice before you realize it. At least, that's how it worked for me when I started.

Word. Heck, that's what I do most of the time now anyway. Turn on a show and just play my electric unplugged just to keep my fingers moving.

Word. Heck, that's what I do most of the time now anyway. Turn on a show and just play my electric unplugged just to keep my fingers moving.

That's how I end most days: turn on Netflix, grab the strat of my wall and noodle around for a couple hours. Perfect way to wind down after work

I need my left finger tips to harden up so I can go more than 10-15 minutes!

Zerogravity- Try a couple separate 10 minute sessions each day, the key is to be consistent and do it every day, your fingers will toughen up and the sessions get longer. Also be sure your guitar is set up properly with the strings the correct distance above he frets, my first wasn't, sky high steel strings, took a long time.
dave

I mostly play a mex telecaster, it's got an ash body 5 years old and has never had a problem.
Often I've thought of trading up to a USA mfg model but when played side by side frankly the
made in Mexico is my axe of choice.

That's how I end most days: turn on Netflix, grab the strat of my wall and noodle around for a couple hours. Perfect way to wind down after work

I often do the same. Have a "couch" guitar (pine Tele partscaster) that is particularly resonant unplugged, so It lives next to the couch. Then there's the next to the bed guitar (Hwy 1 Strat & 5w Blackstar) , the patio guitar (Taylor GS mini)..... gotta keep 'em handy for when a good song comes on.

I've got a quick question. What, if anything, do I need to put on a rosewood fretboard to condition it?

Lemon oil. Used sparingly and not particularly frequently. Usually I'll clean and oil a rosewood board when I change strings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom