What's new

Any guitar players out there?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I can do a little thread resurrecting ... I've gotten a few toys since I last posted here...

ESP Eclipse Amber Cherry Sunburst Barrel Quilt

$ESP MIJ Eclipse.jpg

1961 Gibson ES-330

$Gibson 330 1961.jpg

2016 USA Fender P Bass

$USA Fender P Bass 2016.jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Now I wish I hadn't started this back up :lol:
$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

:lol: I feel you. Probably 90% of my leisure money went into musical gear before I joined B&B. By distracting me with wet shaving, fountain pens, and pipes and tobaccos, I've managed to decrease my GAS (gear acquisition syndrome to non-musicians).

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
:lol: I feel you. Probably 90% of my leisure money went into musical gear before I joined B&B. By distracting me with wet shaving, fountain pens, and pipes and tobaccos, I've managed to decrease my GAS (gear acquisition syndrome to non-musicians).

That is my experience exactly. Before getting the razor collection going, I was good for at least one or two guitars a month, plus the various amp and pedal purchases. Now I picked up those three shown above in December, but they were the only guitars I got for all of 2016. And I sold off more than a dozen. So my GAS is in check quite a bit better than it was.

Oooooohhh a 6120! :thumbup: I'll stop buying guitars when I have one in the Eddie Cochran edition! (possibly?)

Yeah, it's a 6120 1959 LTV. It's absolutely killer. Those Eddie Cochran's look sweet too. I've yet to play one however. Btw, I tell myself that I'll stop buying when I get a certain guitar, but it never fails after about a year I begin to look again!!! :bored:

That is my experience exactly. Before getting the razor collection going, I was good for at least one or two guitars a month, plus the various amp and pedal purchases. Now I picked up those three shown above in December, but they were the only guitars I got for all of 2016. And I sold off more than a dozen. So my GAS is in check quite a bit better than it was.

That '61 330 is sweeeet!!!!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
That '61 330 is sweeeet!!!!

Thank you! It has a bit of a story. I am turning 50 this year. So I wanted a 1967 model Gibson or Fender to mark the occasion. I wanted a guitar that was made in the same year as me. I found this 330 while at a guitar convention down in Florida. It was at a local shop. It was being sold as a 1967. It played amazing, and sounded perfect. It had some big mods (pickups, hardware, finish) that made this one very affordable (reasonably). And those mods made the guitar more desirable to me. I have enough P-90 guitars. And I dont really like having an old relic with a ton of finish checking. So I did a quick check of the serial number. It came up in the database as being either from 1967 or 1961. So that was good enough for me. It was an amazing guitar. So I bought it and had it shipped home. Subsequently, when I did the research, I determined that they went from dot markers on the fretboard to blocks in 1962. D'oh. But its a killer guitar, and therefore I am keeping it as my future birthday present for when I turn 50. It was a valiant effort at getting a 1967 model, and its a great piece of Gibson history with a good story. If I do find a 67 between now and December, I will have a decision to make.

Thank you! It has a bit of a story. I am turning 50 this year. So I wanted a 1967 model Gibson or Fender to mark the occasion. I wanted a guitar that was made in the same year as me. I found this 330 while at a guitar convention down in Florida. It was at a local shop. It was being sold as a 1967. It played amazing, and sounded perfect. It had some big mods (pickups, hardware, finish) that made this one very affordable (reasonably). And those mods made the guitar more desirable to me. I have enough P-90 guitars. And I dont really like having an old relic with a ton of finish checking. So I did a quick check of the serial number. It came up in the database as being either from 1967 or 1961. So that was good enough for me. It was an amazing guitar. So I bought it and had it shipped home. Subsequently, when I did the research, I determined that they went from dot markers on the fretboard to blocks in 1962. D'oh. But its a killer guitar, and therefore I am keeping it as my future birthday present for when I turn 50. It was a valiant effort at getting a 1967 model, and its a great piece of Gibson history with a good story. If I do find a 67 between now and December, I will have a decision to make.

Well, it looks as though you have a player there!!! Congrats on the find.

Try Gruhn Guitar Inc. based in Nashville, TN. Amazing high quality guitars! :thumbup1:

Genres: Trad Celtic (mostly finger-style), Surf, Spaghetti Western, Space, Rautalanka, some Indie stuff.
If it's on the Radio or TV, I probably hate it.

I finally got around to taking some family photos.
First, the acoustics, L to R:

• Early '70s Yamaha FG-160
  • late '70s Fender F15 (actually belongs to SWMBO)
  • Guitarras de Artesania ("Pablo de Cortes" model?) - a surprise birthday present from SWMBO
  • McNally G Standard Strumstick - Tuned G-D-G, like a dulcimer
  • Not shown - a mandolin, from my Bluegrass & Celtic phase
$100_6394.jpg

The electrics:

• Mid-'70s El Degas 861 (an SG copy, currently set up with a nut extender and tuned like a C6 lap steel. Needs a new volume pot and a three-way switch)
  • Fender Standard Strat (MIM)
  • Epiphone Les Paul Studio - I plan to fabricate a 19 ga. stainless steel pickguard for it, and am looking for some chrome or ss knobs that resemble Gretsch knobs, but without the "G". Gotta have numbers or just a pointer. Tele knobs would be okay if they were wider and shorter. Looking for sort of a "motorcycle jacket" esthetic.
  • Squier Jaguar Short-scale bass. Strangely enough, this is the lightest of my electric guitars. I love it. Definitely an upgrade from the Squier Bronco bass I traded in for it.
  • Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar. An acquired taste, but my favourite for noodling on the couch. More "springy" sounding than "twangy", due to the reduced sustain and short scale, I guess. One of the "Modified" features is that there is no tremolo lock button. Yes, I know, it's actually a vibrato bar. The Leopard-skin strap is a DIY job - a plain black nylon strap with 1.5" leopard print fabric ribbon from Walmart sewn on.
  • Laying down - SX LG2 Ash lap steel. I have yet to swap out the strings for a C6 tuning, instead of Open E. I'll probably want to swap out the P-90 pup for a Humbucker, if I can get one that fits.
$100_6399.jpg

The label on the Strat came from a bottle of some kind of prescription medicine.
$shake_well_small.jpg

Just got this bad boy the other day. It's amazing!

proxy.php
Just curious - what inspired you to get the reverse headstock?
That resembles my setup at times. A white Strat with maple fretboard and what looks like a Fender Mustang I amp.
The first thing I did was overwrite all the presets.
99% of my playing is on the couch, late at night, with headphones, so it has all the power I need.

Last edited:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio - I plan to fabricate a 19 ga. stainless steel pickguard for it, and am looking for some chrome or ss knobs that resemble Gretsch knobs, but without the "G". Gotta have numbers or just a pointer. Tele knobs would be okay if they were wider and shorter. Looking for sort of a "motorcycle jacket" esthetic.
A quick scan of an google search turned up chrome, logo-less Gretsch style knobs at the trickedoutguitar ebay store. No marker either but that's easy enough to remedy.

dave

This thread makes me wan a new guitar. We used to have a Gibson showcases in Nashville. Although the price tags always hurt my feelings in a hurry.

Nice collection! I'm not 100% positive, but I believe that it's a Jimi Hendrix commemorative guitar. Fender's done a few throughout the years.
I was going to challenge that, but...

Instead of googling for "hendrix commemorative stratocaster" I google "hendrix tribute stratocaster", and I was getting ones like this:
$hnzm2zlqirbh3eppyc3p.png

It's a complete mirror image of a right-handed Strat, even with a reversed decal.

$pnoo3tlzizcnribzdlfm.jpg

Note, however, that it's strung right-handed, even though the bridge pickup is slanted with the treble end closer to the bridge.
That, apparently, is the "1997 Jimi Hendrix Tribute Stratocaster".
I gather the reasoning was that if you stand with it in front of a mirror, it would look like Jimi's right-handed Strat.
[edit] I just noticed that it also lacks a visible truss rod adjustment hole above the nut, just like Jimi's white Strat at Woodstock.

Another type is the Fender "Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster":

$JimiHendrixStrat01.jpg
It's strung right-handed, controls are right-handed, has a normal decal, but it has a reverse headstock, and reverse slant bridge pickup.
So, that appears to be exactly what @Basil got, as you say.

Last edited:
@davent
Thank$ for helping :lol:

@John Rose
Have you thought about Telecaster? Every guitar I get, for some reason, immediately gets a set of vintage style Telecaster knobs. Round top, very deep and nice looking knurling. If you have a Long & McQuade store, there about twelve bucks per pair.

Top Bottom