What's new

Oumo Emperor Knot - Any Experience or Advice?

My experience of shaving brushes is limited but I'd like to start exploring the genre of Badger brushes as my next step down the rabbit hole....

When I started DE shaving just under 18 months ago, I bought a badger brush from Amazon, knowing no better and before I discovered B&B. It had horribly sharp tips that I found extremely uncomfortable to use - it was like using a handful of needles on my face. I didn't use this brush for long.

Since then, and after finding this wonderful community called B&B, I've used 2 Boar brushes full time (except a couple of weeks) - a Zenith bleached boar in a 502 handle and a Zenith unbleached boar in a 506 handle.

I love both brushes although they're different to each other - but both have strong backbone, good scrub but soft tips with absolutely no scritch - both brushes are now well broken in with >100 lather/dry cycles each and nicely split tips. Absolutely no handful of needles with either.

Most recently, I picked up a 25 mm Mule STF synthetic for travel. I have never experienced such a soft brush - I really like it, but it's not the end-game for me - I'm not sure I like how it manages water and I think I'd like a little more backbone and scrub - but I love the softness and zero scritch.

So, from my extensive reading on B&B, I think my next brush might be a Badger Silvertip - which I hope would be between the Zenith boars and the wonderful softness of the STF knot.

And then we get to the choices - which seem endless and quite bewildering!

Amongst the many options, I'm curious about Oumo brushes and from what I can tell (which is hard to gather), the Emperor knot seems like it might be in the right ball park.

But I can't find much information about what it's really like. I don't want artificially gelled tips and want Muhle STF softness without scrtitcy tips but with a bit more backbone and a little more scrub.

Does anyone know whether the Emperor E3 knot would fit what I think I'm after? I hope this all makes sense so far.....

Very grateful for any experience and advice - many thanks.

I have an E2. I believe the tips are pretty natural. It is quite dense, and they set the loft pretty low on these, so it has a fair amount of backbone and scrub because of that. The tips aren't scritchy or pokey but there's definitely a "presence"if that makes sense.

It has a lot more backbone than a STF. And it won't release lather like an STF, or even a normal density and lofted silvertip. It has zero flop. Feels like a terrycloth washcloth on my face. Quite unlike my other brushes. Hope that helps.

I have an E2. I believe the tips are pretty natural. It is quite dense, and they set the loft pretty low on these, so it has a fair amount of backbone and scrub because of that. The tips aren't scritchy or pokey but there's definitely a "presence"if that makes sense.

It has a lot more backbone than a STF. And it won't release lather like an STF, or even a normal density and lofted silvertip. It has zero flop. Feels like a terrycloth washcloth on my face. Quite unlike my other brushes. Hope that helps.

Very helpful - thank you.

1000001973.jpg

I have a couple of E2s and can echo @Darth Scandalous ' observations. High-density--you can feel the presence of the knot and it's luxurious.

On the left is a 25MM E2 and the right is a 29MM E2 both lofted around 45MM or 47MM.

I know you're asking about E3s but you can't go wrong with an Emperor knot in my honest opinion if you're looking for a luxurious 3-band badger knot. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom