What's new

Old Spice 1956 vs. Indian Old Spice

My bottle of Indian made Old Spice arrived today.
I splashed on some 1956 Old Spice, on the left forearm, and some new Indians made OS, on the right.
First observations were the vintage smelled bold and complex.
The Indian was similar, but very slightly sweet smell, almost undetectable. It could be because more was applied of the Indian. The dispenser orifice was larger on the Indian, and more came out.

The wife was helping with the test, and she could tell the slight difference, at first.
After about 15 minutes of airing out, there wasn't any difference in smell.
Three hours later, and no difference can be noticed.

Conclusion: If you want the traditional Old Spice Aftershave Lotion smell, order the Indian Old Spice. $10 and some change for 100 ml from EBay. It comes in a glass Old Spice bottle, and it is mailed out of India.

Good to know !...Sounds like it's different than the red plastic jug from India....If possible ,how about a picture of the front and back of the bottle ?

Per your request. I included the original 1956 bottle on the left, and the Indian on the right, with the box it came in.

$P7090462.jpg$P7090463.jpg$P7090464.jpg

Thanks very much for posting your comparison, there sure is a lot of writing on the back, all of which, I can't make out. Anyway, I might have to order from India the next time around. The Indian OS I got from WCS is an atomizer in glass but I'd much prefer a splash-on bottle.

Thanks for a terrific post. Looks like I may need to consider ordering from India as opposed to WCS.

I anticipated in 2012 that the handover to P&G would result in the Shulton formula being killed. However P&G seems to have retained the scent even though the manufacturer has changed. Interesting. Though I had stocked up a great number of Shulton bottles in anticipation and haven't yet bought the new P&G variant. Guess i'll go get myself a small original bottle tomorrow!

Let me also add that P&G has started an ad blitzkreig in Indian media since taking over and it means business to tackle the newgen splash ons!

Last edited:
The new one is a Rubicon manufacture,although the ebay sellers in India are posting these as "Shulton" ,which they are not.Glad to hear the scent is still good,my old 50ml. Indian Shulton is getting low !

So you are saying there are two different Indian Old Spices? Or, just the Rubicon left. My nose is pretty good, and the Indian(Rubicon) version smells too close to the 1956 version to matter, to me. At least P&G hasn't screwed with the Rubicon version yet.
I think the Indians say Shulton, because it is the similar Shulton formulation.

The Indians are advertising the Rubicon on ebay as "Shulton",which it is not,even though it may smell the same.Real Shulton bottles go for a lot of money,plus,legally you just can't advertise something as a product from Shulton when it only "smells" like Shulton.

So you are saying there are two different Indian Old Spices? Or, just the Rubicon left. My nose is pretty good, and the Indian(Rubicon) version smells too close to the 1956 version to matter, to me. At least P&G hasn't screwed with the Rubicon version yet.
I think the Indians say Shulton, because it is the similar Shulton formulation.

Its like this. Prior to 2012, Shulton rights to manufacture in India were with a company called MCPL who continued to manufacture the original formula in India for decades till 2012. They wrote Shulton proudly on it.

In 2012 the license expired and P&G came in to take over the manufacture and granted the license to Rubicon. In india most cosmetic products are generally outsourced manufacturing to a captive manufacturing for efficiency, labor costs etc.

So now we only see the bottles in this thread. The old stock is long gone. And as we understand luckily P&G has just transferred the old formula to Rubicon which is good news.

MCPL is since focussin on Blue Stratos to fill in for its Old Spirce profits. But have never found this product on shelves anywhere !
http://www.mcplonline.com/blue-stratos.php

Last edited:
Very interesting guys. I understand now, as far as the "Shulton" name goes. I guess it's a good thing P&G hasn't screwed with the formulation at the Rubicon plant, yet. I'm not a big fan of P&G, but when they are the only game in town, what choice do you have?
My main concern is getting the scent of the " Vintage Shulton Old Spice". So, I will buy annother bottle of the "Rubicon". I will also keep an eye out at antique shops for bottles of the real stuff.
I did send an email to P&G Old Spice division, regarding the new smell. It will probably fall on deaf ears, but it made me feel better.

Good info. That Indian bottle is certainly packed with fine print. They must have some US lawyers on the packaging team!

Top Bottom