What's new

Gillette Stainless (All Versions) Comparison

Here comes a comparison I wanted to make for a long time. Gillette Stainless is a discontinued model. It has been introduced around 1990 wheh the Iron Curtain fell and Gillette were eager to conquer new markets where they weren't allowed before. The model is specifically for former Eastern block countries except former USSR republics (Russian, Ukraine, Belarus etc. etc., where a different brand has been introduced - Rubie). Unlike the blades for Western Europe at the time (plastic dispensers), these were made in simple cardboard packaging. Most men here have never seen Gillette dispensers by 1990 anyway.

The model has been manufactured in 4 different Gillette plants. And on the first photo are all 4 in chronological order.

all 4.jpg

The orange pack (and it is orange, not red faded with time) is of an unknown plant, neither the packs, neither the outer 100 pcs sleeve has any information. Has L-1 code which means 1991 first qiarter - one of the very very first batches. Next is the pack made by Czech Blades S.R.O. Gillette acquired the Astra plant in 1996 and used it for a few years. The third one is made by Gillette India (Z-4 - 2004) when they sold The Czech plant. They were made for a very short time. Could even be only one big batch. The last one is the Petersburg Products International (Russia) which some of you have seen or even have.

first.jpg

CZ.jpg

IN.jpg

RU.jpg

How do they shave? A simple answer would be: different. But let's get into some details.

The comparison was with my methodology of keeping all variables the same except the blade. Only brand new blades were used for one shave each. The razor used was Maggard V3. It is interesting how with this particular model Gillette went for gradually increasing the sharpness. The first blade from 1991 is not very sharp. I actually will need a more aggressive razor for them to achieve BBS. With the Czech made blade you notice the significant sharpness increase. The Indian is more or less like the Czech one sharpness-wise. Maybe only a hair sharper than it. And the Russian is even sharper than the Indian and Czech blade.

Hope you weren't bored reading about a discontinued blade. :c1:
That's all folks!

Last edited:

Definitely not bored. Looking at how the same blades coming from different factories and different countries might be similar (or different) is an interesting exercise, especially with the current changes taking place in the Gillette line up.

"Time spent on reconnaissance is never wasted."

I have read all of your similar threads, they all tell me one thing: if you really-really like a blade, stock up. Almost no blade is the same after 3-5 years, some even less. I'm not a hoarder by default, but with some blades I might take exception.

Definitely not bored. Looking at how the same blades coming from different factories and different countries might be similar (or different) is an interesting exercise, especially with the current changes taking place in the Gillette line up.

"Time spent on reconnaissance is never wasted."
I served in a reconnaissance platoon. :c1:
I have read all of your similar threads, they all tell me one thing: if you really-really like a blade, stock up. Almost no blade is the same after 3-5 years, some even less. I'm not a hoarder by default, but with some blades I might take exception.
Yes, of course. I have been hoarding blades for a couple of decades.

I served in a reconnaissance platoon. :c1:

You need a "veteran" badge. I assume it isn't only for US vets but for everyone?

Here comes a comparison I wanted to make for a long time. Gillette Stainless is a discontinued model. It has been introduced around 1990 wheh the Iron Curtain fell and Gillette were eager to conquer new markets where they weren't allowed before. The model is specifically for former Eastern block countries except former USSR republics (Russian, Ukraine, Belarus etc. etc., where a different brand has been introduced - Rubie). Unlike the blades for Western Europe at the time (plastic dispensers), these were made in simple cardboard packaging. Most men here have never seen Gillette dispensers by 1990 anyway.

The model has been manufactured in 4 different Gillette plants. And on the first photo are all 4 in chronological order.

View attachment 1716941

The orange pack (and it is orange, not red faded with time) is of an unknown plant, neither the packs, neither the outer 100 pcs sleeve has any information. Has L-1 code which means 1991 first qiarter - one of the very very first batches. Next is the pack made by Czech Blades S.R.O. Gillette acquired the Astra plant in 1996 and used it for a few years. The third one is made by Gillette India (Z-4 - 2004) when they sold The Czech plant. They were made for a very short time. Could even be only one big batch. The last one is the Petersburg Products International (Russia) which some of you have seen or even have.

View attachment 1716943
View attachment 1716945
View attachment 1716946
View attachment 1716948

How do they shave? A simple answer would be: different. But let's get into some details.

The comparison was with my methodology of keeping all variables the same except the blade. Only brand new blades were used for one shave each. The razor used was Maggard V3. It is interesting how with this particular model Gillette went for gradually increasing the sharpness. The first blade from 1991 is not very sharp. I actually will need a more aggressive razor for them to achieve BBS. With the Czech made blade you notice the significant sharpness increase. The Indian is more or less like the Czech one sharpness-wise. Maybe only a hair sharper than it. And the Russian is even sharper than the Indian and Czech blade.

That's all folks!

A wonderful write up Ivan.

I've read a few places some have suggested the Minora Stainless is fairly similar to the last PPI incarnation of the Red Stainless blade. Have you had a chance to compare the Minora to this one?

You need a "veteran" badge. I assume it isn't only for US vets but for everyone?

No, I don't.
You are not supposed to know where and when I served. :shuriken:

A wonderful write up Ivan.

I've read a few places some have suggested the Minora Stainless is fairly similar to the last PPI incarnation of the Red Stainless blade. Have you had a chance to compare the Minora to this one?
Yes, I have already used at least 40-50 blades of Minora Stainless. Although there is some similarity, they are not the same as the Russian Gillette Stainless. I have been using the Russian ones for 18 years, I should know.
I use a Gillette Stainless @8 in a Super Adjustable for four identical shaves. Same brush, cream, razor @8 with the Minora and it starts tugging on the third pass of the third shave. ;)

This is very interesting. It would suggest the initial products are based on American sensibilities and the 1990 American sensibilites were not favoring sharpeness. Perhaps they had grown accustomed to chrome and platinum coatings since the 60s. But Russians would clearly favor sharpness.

This is very interesting. It would suggest the initial products are based on American sensibilities and the 1990 American sensibilites were not favoring sharpeness. Perhaps they had grown accustomed to chrome and platinum coatings since the 60s. But Russians would clearly favor sharpness.
Why would they base a product for Eastern Europe on 'American sensibilities" if a few Gillette plants in Europe have been making European models for many decades before 1990?

Regarding Russians. I think you are generalising by claiming Russians would clearly favour sharpness. Also you probably missed something in the original post. This model has never been intended for the Russians. Neither has it been sold there, even when they manufactured it in Russia.

Last edited:
Why would they base a product for Eastern Europe on 'American sensibilities" if a few Gillette plants in Europe have been making European models for many decades before 1990?

Regarding Russians. I think you are generalising by claiming Russians would clearly favour sharpness. Also you probably missed something in the original post. This model has never been intended fof the Russians. Neither has it been sold there, even when they manufactured it in Russia.
Sorry! My mistake! The pictures were so pretty they affected me reading comprehension. Eastern Bloc Non-USSR would have been correct!

Top Bottom