What's new

Old Spice 1956 vs. Indian Old Spice

There is no cologne made in India, Only the Original Aftershave. They are sold in 50/100 ml glass bottles as well as Plastic bottles. Prior to 2012 it was made by Menezes. I have an open lime old spice of Menezes which I use from time to time. I will dig out a Menezes made Oriignal scent and compare it to the new Rubicon version. To me they smell different from my memory, but will do an actual cotton ball compare.

There is no cologne made in India, Only the Original Aftershave. They are sold in 50/100 ml glass bottles as well as Plastic bottles. Prior to 2012 it was made by Menezes. I have an open lime old spice of Menezes which I use from time to time. I will dig out a Menezes made Oriignal scent and compare it to the new Rubicon version. To me they smell different from my memory, but will do an actual cotton ball compare.

Very good. I am interested in your results.

I will dig out a Menezes made Original scent and compare it to the new Rubicon version. To me they smell different from my memory, but will do an actual cotton ball compare.

Thanks. The comparison will be an interesting read. Does anyone have the Original Old Spice that's made in Germany and the UK?
It would be interesting to see a comparison of that to the Indian versions if the manufacturers are different.

Does anyone know the reason that Rubicon and Menezes/MCPL never were licensed by P&G to produce the Old Spice Cologne in India? I don't think the Original Old Spice that's made in the EU has a cologne either.

Apparently P&G did license marketing rights to Menezes for a 10 year period in 2002. This link clarifies.
http://articles.economictimes.india...ter-gamble-hygiene-trademark-and-business-p-g

The second link announces its end.

http://articles.economictimes.india...zes-cosmetics-largest-consumer-products-maker

I'm not familiar with the outcome after Proctor and Gamble took it over. Also, where do you find the Menezes stuff?
I'm still liking the Rubicon stuff I got.

I'm not familiar with the outcome after Proctor and Gamble took it over. Also, where do you find the Menezes stuff?
I'm still liking the Rubicon stuff I got.
The Menezes stuff is dead as the dodo. Since they are no longer licensed by P&G they no longer make it. The rights are now transfered to Rubicon with P&G itself spending quite aggressively to revive the brand in India.

Menezes is now cultivating blue stratos as a brand with poor distribution and marketing.

The Menezes stuff is dead as the dodo. Since they are no longer licensed by P&G they no longer make it. The rights are now transfered to Rubicon with P&G itself spending quite aggressively to revive the brand in India.

Luv2shave - Did you ever get the chance to compare the MCPL Menezes OS Original to the Rubicon OS Original? Would you happen to know which of the Ebay sellers of the OS aftershaves and creams are the best? I wonder if any of them have actual retail stores in Inida or whether they're just online sellers?

Luv2shave - Did you ever get the chance to compare the MCPL Menezes OS Original to the Rubicon OS Original? Would you happen to know which of the Ebay sellers of the OS aftershaves and creams are the best? I wonder if any of them have actual retail stores in Inida or whether they're just online sellers?

Fortunately I have both bottles sitting side by side. i find the Rubicon version to be more spicy while the Menezes version is more old school powdery old spice scent. After a while of application both appear to be the same.

Most of the ebay sellers from India are just that, online sellers. India has its own amazon india and competiion stores, however a lot of buying is done from mom and pop stores and hyper marts like walmarts who do not sell online.

I am also surprised that Indian ebayers are able to sell after shave online as alcohol shipment is not permitted by India posts and customers. Perhaps they fly below the radar so to speak or may have some commercial export license to ship.

These sellers will sell you the Rubicon versions at inflated prices much higher that the maximum retail price which it is sold for in India as per regulation. The MRP in Indian rupees in printed on every bottle. I get a 100ml glass bottle for roughly 3$ locally (Rs. 200)

Last bottle of Old Spice which I bought via eBay from India

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Fortunately I have both bottles sitting side by side. i find the Rubicon version to be more spicy while the Menezes version is more old school powdery old spice scent. After a while of application both appear to be the same.

These sellers will sell you the Rubicon versions at inflated prices much higher that the maximum retail price which it is sold for in India as per regulation. The MRP in Indian rupees in printed on every bottle. I get a 100ml glass bottle for roughly 3$ locally (Rs. 200)

Thanks for the comparison. I've seen the price in rupees on Amazon, India as I tried to order the OS Musk and Original in both aftershave and shaving cream varieties from them several months ago. Unfortunately, they wouldn't ship to the US because of the ban on products with alcohol. I tried from several other retail outlets, too. Considering that the Ebay sellers include shipping, the price is not that much out of line and probably more reasonably priced than the US online retailers who sell the India version.

I've priced the Alcolado Glacial and Superior 70 aftershaves and they're about $8 together here in my state. The shipping cost to deliver it from an online retailer that's 15 miles away is about $12! I'm actually considering that unreasonable shipping cost because when you factor the cost of gas or public transportation plus the back and forth time to pick it up, it almost makes sense to pay the shipping!

Last bottle of Old Spice which I bought via eBay from India

View attachment 595753View attachment 595754

Thanks for taking the time to post the photo. This is the 100 ml plastic bottle. I wonder why they produce the 50 and 150 ml aftershaves in glass bottles, but not the 100 ml bottle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison. I've seen the price in rupees on Amazon, India as I tried to order the OS Musk and Original in both aftershave and shaving cream varieties from them several months ago. Unfortunately, they wouldn't ship to the US because of the ban on products with alcohol. I tried from several other retail outlets, too. Considering that the Ebay sellers include shipping, the price is not that much out of line and probably more reasonably priced than the US online retailers who sell the India version.

I've priced the Alcolado Glacial and Superior 70 aftershaves and they're about $8 together here in my state. The shipping cost to deliver it from an online retailer that's 15 miles away is about $12! I'm actually considering that unreasonable shipping cost because when you factor the cost of gas or public transportation plus the back and forth time to pick it up, it almost makes sense to pay the shipping!

Thanks for taking the time to post the photo. This is the 100 ml plastic bottle. I wonder why they produce the 50 and 150 ml aftershaves in glass bottles, but not the 100 ml bottle.
They do sell 100 ml glass bottles.

I don't think the Original Old Spice that's made in the EU has a cologne either.
I have seen cologne's advertised on European online retailers, but whether you get a cologne/EDT rather than an aftershave is another matter. They could be imports too...

I have seen cologne's advertised on European online retailers, but whether you get a cologne/EDT rather than an aftershave is another matter. They could be imports too...

Just found the Old Spice Original Eau De Toilette on Amazon, Spain. The US Classic is an eau de cologne. According to this article, eau de toilettes are stronger than colognes. EDT's have 10% concentration of fragrance oils, while eau de colognes have 3% to 8% concentration. Parfums and then eau de parfums are the strongest.

http://www.popsugar.com/beauty/Eau-de-Toilette-Eau-de-Parfum-Parfum-What-Mean-19193129

$old_spice_eu.jpg

But is it made with the new or old formulation? If it's the new P&G scent, then it is "Eau DE Toilette".

Anyone try it yet?

But is it made with the new or old formulation? If it's the new P&G scent, then it is "Eau DE Toilette". Anyone try it yet?

Yes, the old Shulton version was an eau de cologne, wasn't it? I have asked the same question in every thread. Gifts and Care sells an Original Old Spice aftershave as do several European and UK sites, but no one seems to know where that Original OS aftershave is made or by whom. I've read elswhere that it's made in the EU. I also haven't seen a comparison on this forum regarding the EU version vs. the India version. I think the EU aftershave version may be made by P&G, but why they call it Original instead of Classic, I'm not sure, unless the formula is different.

If the European edt is indeed the the P&G Classic scent, then it still would seem to be a better buy because of a higher fragrance concentration that the Classic eau de cologne from the US. Accordingly, it should be a longer lasting scent.

Last edited:
the old Shulton versions was an eau de cologne, wasn't it?
Eau de Cologne's follow a specific formula with citrus top notes and lavender and rosemary middle notes. The Old Spice "cologne" was probably always an EDT as American's use the term 'cologne" generically...

but no one seems to know where that Original OS aftershave is made or by whom. I've read elswhere that it's made in the EU.
Old Spice was made at Seaton Delaval in the UK until production was moved to Germany. The former factory producing Fine Fragrances which have recently been sold to Coty. In the sixties, allegedly, Old Spice was made in Aldershot Hampshire England by a perfume company called Thomas Christies.

Last edited:
I just found out that the Original Old Spice Aftershave sold in Europe is manufactured by P&G in Germany. I'm not sure if it's the same as the Classic and just was given the Original name, or if they're sticking to the Original Shulton formula in Europe.

In regard to the Eau de Toilette, I'm assuming it's also made by P&G in Germany. According to the last post in this thread from 2010,

Hey, i popped out earlier and bought a bottle of the stuff. It was only seven Euro so worth the risk. It smells good. A richer, deeper version of the normal juice. Still seems strange that so few people have heard of it though. The markings on the back point to it being aimed at the British and Spanish market, even though it says made in the USA.

Now I'm not sure if the "normal juice" referred to is the US Classic eau de cologne or the Classic aftershave. The first post stated that the Original Eau De Toilette was made in the USA by P&G, UK! The Classic scent was released in 2008, so that's sort of puzzling. I think the answer is that a bunch of us have to start working for P&G and somehow be appointed to their men's toiletries area. We'll probably all lose our jobs after driving them crazy about Old Spice versions we want released in the USA, but at least we'll make our point! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom