What's new

3rd Restore - Ever Ready Lucite 150 L (Pic heavy)

What color should I fill the knot hole with on my new Ever Ready Lucite 150 L

• Black

• Red

• Green

• Blue

• Clear

• Other- Please recommend the color in a post.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi all. I picked this one up a week or two ago from the bay, and I've been slowly working on it. I decided to try a 20mm silvertip from whippeddog.com, and boy was I shocked at the softness right out of the package. Anyway, I wanted to take a moment to share a few pics, and get some opinions on finishing it. It is a Lucite brush, as my title indicates, but it is about the size of an Omega 11047 or 599. I intend to replace my current travel brush, which is a 11047. I've included a side-by-side for comparison below.

To clean it up, I had to remove the maroon red paint that was originally in the knot hole. It had some holes, and I didn't like the maroon anyway. I used non-acetone nail polish remover to rub out the old paint. I decided to use the 20mm knot, which was larger than the hole, so I had to open the hole a bit, and file down the edges of the knot base. I used my Dremel with a sanding drum to open the hole a bit, which probably wasn't the best way to go about it, but it's not too bad considering. I still have a few scrape marks in the hole, but I think I'll sand it out a third, and final time to try to remove those. I then polished out the hole with my 3M rubbing compound.

So, my question to the community is, what color should I fill the hole with, if any? Please let me know what color you think I should use in the poll above. I'll definitely consider opinions, but I may not go with the poll winner. I just want to know what people think.

I picked blue but any color will be cool as...

What about White? Like the Semogue 2010 LE?
proxy.php

I voted "other". I think you should do something that really stands out like a deep purple or competition orange.

We've already seem all of those other colors.

Great job! I have a small Stag lucite I'm working on and never considered removing the paint like that, you've given me something to think about now

Great ideas, all around! Thanks everyone for the input. I decided on a color, but I'm just hoping that the scratches left by my heavy-handedness with the dremel sanding drum don't look too bad with my color. I sanded the hole out 3 times from 320 grit up to 3000, and I just can't get the scratches out. At this point, it is what it is. But, it if looks awful because of the scratches, I may take it back to clear, and just set it so that the cracks don't look so obvious. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

Should I mention my choice, or leave it as a surprise for when the brush is finished?...

So, yesterday I sprayed another layer of paint, and impatiently waited for it to dry... I'll add a post-bloom pic after the 24 hour cure is finished.

Tonight, I set the knot. Here is the result:

It's John Deere Green. My inspiration is the vegetable garden I'm going to attempt this summer. The location requires travel, so this will be my brush during my garden travels. I am thinking of adding yellow into the small ribs to complete the John Deere look.

Top Bottom