What's new

Zappa fans. Your top 6 records?

Fellow Zappa Fans and shaving enthusiasts. Can you name your top six Zappa/MOI records? I thought about asking about just your one favorite. Too hard. See if you can pick #1 on your list that's you fave. I'll start. Mine are ranked 1 through 6. Here Goes: 1) Uncle Meat, 2) The Grand Wazoo, 3) Lumpy Gravy, 4) You Can't Do Thst on Stage Anymore Vol 2 (the Helsinki Concert) 5) Overnite Sensation, 6) Just Another Band From LA. Go!

Lumpy Gravy and We're Only In It For the Money are two favorites from the early years.

Hot Rats and Waka Jawaka are two favorites from when he started exploring Jazz.

Live at the Filmore and Just another Band from L.A. are two favorites from that particular style and lineup.

Over Nite Sensation is a special favorite ---- maybe because it was the first albums I was able to play for -- well normal people or a girlfriend etc. and have them enjoy it and not roll their eyes at me for listening to "that crazy weird stuff". (Apostrophe too)

Roxy and Elsewhere is an incredible live album from the era with Napoleon Murphy Brock. I saw some of those concerts that are on that album and the band was unbelievably tight.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation, Joe's Garage, Lumpy Gravy/We're Only In It For the Money, You Can't Do that on Stage Anymore, Zoot Allures, Sheik Yerbouti, and whichever live one that has that amazing rendition of the Illinois Enema Bandit ...

AA

Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation, Joe's Garage, Lumpy Gravy/We're Only In It For the Money, You Can't Do that on Stage Anymore, Zoot Allures, Sheik Yerbouti, and whichever live one that has that amazing rendition of the Illinois Enema Bandit ...

AA
That would be "Zappa in New York"

Can't think of 6, but Freak Out, Apostrophe, Chunga's Revenge and Valley Girl come to mind. I had Freak Out and another Mothers LP in college in the 1960s, with the poster from one hanging on my dorm wall. I listened to Zappa, Van Ronk and Dylan, while my roomie had centerfolds on the wall and listened to Sinatra. Not a match made in heaven but, unlike today, we dealt with it.

I have mp3s of my favorite Zappa songs, like "Watermelon in Easter Hay", and "Help, I'm a Rock", in my iTunes. I'm still looking for my Apostrophe and Chunga's Revenge CDs missing since our move. Thankfully, I did find my 12" 45 rpm vinyl of Valley Girl/You Are What You Is, with Frank & Moon.

Top Bottom