What's new

Rolling Stones Top 500 Albums

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
When Hunter S. Thompson was covering football and politics in the early-mid 70s Rolling Stone was required reading. The Annie Liebowitz photos and the essays that accompanied them were often excellent. I particularly remember one photo essay from around 1975 about how sexy Linda Ronstadt was that had the clever lede "Linda Ronstadt puts the 'count' back in 'country' music."

ronstadt.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As a I recall @Owen Bawn Hunter and Annie and Ms Ronstadt and Ms Stevie Nicks always drew me in.

Did Linda and Stevie ever do a duet? I think they both could sing with just about anyone.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Regarding the Rolling 'Stoned' new Top 500 List: In my opinion, it is symptomatic of an irrelevant magazine attempting to purchase some scraps of relevance by pandering to the increasingly transitory musical landscape.

As you can probably tell, I am NOT a fan of that mag. ;)

My musical tastes include Classical, Prog Rock, Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock, Fusion (using the @MntnMan62 definition), and Female Vocalists across all of my favored genres.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Well, according to Bob Seger they "Deeetroit audiences are the greatest rock and roll audiences in the world!" And he knew that for 10 years.

So we know they were right on one subject prior to 1974......LOL!
Yes. Much like some of the very interesting interviews from the early Playboy years, Rolling Stone DID make valuable contributions to music journalism, and occasionally just journalism. Those days are LONG gone, however.

Interesting. Before my time though. Well, I was very very young anyway.

FarmerTan

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, "Live at Cobo Hall" was where I stole the quote. He had an an expletive in his statement, lol. Still one of the best live albums ever. That was one tight band back then.

They still are. He is a perfectionist. A brilliant business man as well.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, "Live at Cobo Hall" was where I stole the quote. He had an an expletive in his statement, lol. Still one of the best live albums ever. That was one tight band back then.

They still are. He is a perfectionist. A brilliant business man as well.

I'm a fan myself. Did any of his albums make the latest "list"?

Owen Bawn

As a I recall @Owen Bawn Hunter and Annie and Ms Ronstadt and Ms Stevie Nicks always drew me in.

Did Linda and Stevie ever do a duet? I think they both could sing with just about anyone.
I don't know if they ever sang together. I remember that at the time of the RS article I referenced above, Linda Ronstadt was carrying on with Jerry Brown, then in his first term as California governor. Man, he's been around forever.

I think one did. Night Moves?
I still cannot find a straight list of all 500 albums. Does anyone else have one? I have lost interest in paging through on-line page after page!

Bob Seeger was great. I saw him in Baltimore, I think touring in support of the Hollywood Nights album. Excellent show. What a good rock concert is all about.

I would say Rolling Stone was very important as to music, counter-culture and politics, and then to regular sort of "popular" culture, back in the day. When it had people like Lester Bangs writing for it, it was important and good quality. Then it seemed to become a vehicle for whatever Jan Wenner had on his mind at the particular time, including whatever specific music he liked, and it became lower and lower quality. Such seems to be the path of good magazines.

I cannot find that Linda and Stevie ever sang together, which is kind of odd. They seem to have talked about each other quite a bit. This may be of interest.
I would have thought they would have been highly overlapping "social circles." Certainly Stevie had a relationship with Glenn Frye and GF was in Linda's backup band, which was the genesis of the Eagles.

< Linda Ronstadt was carrying on with Jerry Brown >

I think Linda was generally thought of as Jerry Brown's "beard." I do not have anything that confirms that. I read recently that Linda had a fling with Mick Jagger, when he was married to Bianca, which seems depressing to me for some reason. As I recall, George Lucas was supposed to be a serious and longish relationship for her. Back in the day she was a profoundly attractive woman! At least I thought so. She did seem to get a bit flakey over time.

Owen Bawn

I always preferred Ms Ronstadt's "look" to that of Stevie Nicks. Judge me as you will.
Has Nicks had major plastic surgery? Because she really looks like she's 50 but she's 72. My wife says she looks young because she's stupid- worrying makes you age, but Stevie's too dumb ever to have worried about anything.

Don't @ me. It's my wife's theory.

No clue. Nor do I care. so long as any "work" is done well, it's not my concern. Same goes with fake boobs . . . not my issue.

I certainly preferred LR's look and "affect" to that of SN. For that matter, I do not think SN was ever considered a classic beauty, although she always seemed enough attractive to me. Cute, I suppose. Whereas, I would say that LR was considered breath-takingly good looking at one time--perhaps not exactly classicly so--and that her looks evolved from that to quite good looking, to whatever.

I would say that both tended to wear their hair in bangs and close around their faces. SN still does. I suspect that as a woman with money/means who makes her living on stage and in the public eye, that SN has had some work. Why not? I would. Apparently she has had nose work, said to the the result of cocaine abuse, and has talked about using botox. But nothing about the way she looks now makes that jump out at me. None of the cat eyes, immobile foreheads, or improbable button noses, one sometimes sees in celebrities. No enormous cleavage, although she has apparently said she had breast implants at one point, that went bad.

She did gain a lot of weight at one point, which she blamed on prescribed psychoactive drugs. Easy to believe.

I do not know of anything about SN that would indicate that she was "dumb"--aside from dating Glenn Frye. :) To me she is an excellent songwriter and handles herself well in interviews. For that matter, I think she has handled her career way better than most. I think she has had a lot of worries in her life. A lot of what I have read about her, indicates she is very self-reflective. Spends a lot of time journaling, for instance, and has done so for decades. So not your think too deep, lose good sleep kind of person.

Anyway, I really like them both. Hard to believe SN is 72.

FarmerTan

I certainly preferred LR's look and "affect" to that of SN. For that matter, I do not think SN was ever considered a classic beauty, although she always seemed enough attractive to me. Cute, I suppose. Whereas, I would say that LR was considered breath-takingly good looking at one time--perhaps not exactly classicly so--and that her looks evolved from that to quite good looking, to whatever.

I would say that both tended to wear their hair in bangs and close around their faces. SN still does. I suspect that as a woman with money/means who makes her living on stage and in the public eye, that SN has had some work. Why not? I would. Apparently she has had nose work, said to the the result of cocaine abuse, and has talked about using botox. But nothing about the way she looks now makes that jump out at me. None of the cat eyes, immobile foreheads, or improbable button noses, one sometimes sees in celebrities. No enormous cleavage, although she has apparently said she had breast implants at one point, that went bad.

She did gain a lot of weight at one point, which she blamed on prescribed psychoactive drugs. Easy to believe.

I do not know of anything about SN that would indicate that she was "dumb"--aside from dating Glenn Frye. :) To me she is an excellent songwriter and handles herself well in interviews. For that matter, I think she has handled her career way better than most. I think she has had a lot of worries in her life. A lot of what I have read about her, indicates she is very self-reflective. Spends a lot of time journaling, for instance, and has done so for decades. So not your think too deep, lose good sleep kind of person.

Anyway, I really like them both. Hard to believe SN is 72.
They were both absolutely beautiful to my teen mind!

Is Linda Ronstadt still alive? It seems to me she was seriously ill not that long ago.

I believe Stevie Nicks was intelligent as a young person, in the artistic vs. science sense.

Mic Fleetwood wrote an interesting autobiography I read a few years ago. He really only had kind words about SN. I think it bothered him a bit that she was the reason they exploded in popularity. They were good before her, great after.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
When Hunter S. Thompson was covering football and politics in the early-mid 70s...
... so that’s what he did when he wasn’t exchanging pleasantries with the neighbors 😬

Linda Ronstadt ... probably won’t find the following song/album in too many top-500s, but as someone who grew up to the sounds of his Grandparent’s Standards, this cover is special ... that voice!

That article indicates Ms. Ronstadt has supranuclear palsy, sometimes called progressive supranuclear palsy. Apparently she was initially diagnosed with Parkinson's, first publicly revealed in 2013.

Sounds like an invariably progressive disease and sources state that currently there is no treatment. On-line sources I looked at indicate quite a variety in survival after diagnosis, but also, sadly, seem to indicate a max of about 10 years. I was not able to find a very up-to-date description of her current health. So, yes, almost necessarily very seriously ill at this point, I would think.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, since this has become our unofficial Linda Ronstadt Appreciation Thread ... proof (if any were needed) that she can really sing.

Top Bottom