What's new

Rolling Stones Top 500 Albums

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If Jethro Tull - Aqualung isn't on the list their shorts are moldy.

...P.s. Don’t forget to add Alex Daigle and Kelly Buchberger to YOUR list. They should be right near the top.

Alexander Daigle? One of my all time favorite Sens. But my favorite Senators of all time are Dennis Vial and Bill Huard...followed closely by Denny Lambert.

If Jethro Tull - Aqualung isn't on the list their shorts are moldy.

Alexander Daigle? One of my all time favorite Sens. But my favorite Senators of all time are Dennis Vial and Bill Huard...followed closely by Denny Lambert.
Daigle WAS THE SENS!

Smart move on the Sens part giving him that contract. He earned it (in today’s $$$ anyways)!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Daigle WAS THE SENS!

Smart move on the Sens part giving him that contract. He earned it (in today’s $$$ anyways)!

Wasn't he a flop of a first-overall pick? Supposed to be "the next great thing" and ... meh.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Nope. Much worse.... I’m a die hard Leaf fan!
laugh.gif

Get lost. They have won a bunch of Stanley Cups!!!!

Of course the last one was In 1967, 2 years before I was born.🤪

I think this hockey talk killed the thread! :)

I still think there is something worth talking about here. I am sure these lists are intended to cause controversy and discussion. And, of course, none of it means much. For that matter getting input lists of 50 from 300 people and creating a list of 500 by weighting all the responses is not something that is going to create a list based on any consistent criteria even if it was possible otherwise.

And I cannot find a nice list in one place of all 500. Seems one has to scroll through these things on RS's site 100 at a time, with a paragraph under each entry. So it is hard to even figure out what is on the list.

One that leaps out to me is there is only one Tupac entry and it is 436, which seems absurd, as far as quality, popularity, influence, or whatever criteria one would use, especially given 3 or 4 Kanye albums, some very high.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I generally find this kind of list a little moronic. Their methodology is not designed to produce a list of high quality, only most often played.

I generally find this kind of list a little moronic. Their methodology is not designed to produce a list of high quality, only most often played.
Not to defend the quality of this RS list, but I am not sure about "most played" for purposes of it. They supposedly asked 300 folks involved in the music industry to put together their own lists of their 50 top albums. I would think music industry folks would likely not to be affected by what has been most played. Actually, for albums, I am not sure what most played would be.

Here is a current list of the biggest selling albums of all time. https://www.businessinsider.com/50-best-selling-albums-all-time-2016-9 Lots of greatest hits albums on there, which does not really count to me for top albums. Kind of a scary list. Tastes change over time, methinks. Also, popular taste is not something to admire!

Here is a 2013 list by the Brit magazine that supposedly used a similar methodology to the RS list. https://www.nme.com/photos/the-500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-100-1-1426116 The Smiths The Queen is Dead was number 1. None of us could argue with that result, could we? :) Not that I dislike The Smiths.

What's Going On was 25 and Pet Sounds 26. Kind of a more interesting list to me, but rather silly.

Thread is TL/DR . . . I am just going to assume that, because it's Rolling Stone, it's legitimacy is suspect at best, and utter bollocks at worst. Rolling Stone has not been credible in over a decade, on any subject.

Add another decade to that.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Lists like these are more about drawing attention to the one making the list, rather than those on the list. "Dubious exercise" is a marvelous way to describe such lists, especially when they come from tattered vestiges like Rolling Stone.

I subscribed to Rolling Stone for a little while during high school and college, but I let go of it some thirty-something years ago when I realized it was about as valuable and vacuous as People. I suppose an issue of Rolling Stone might make for a passable trivet or a large coaster for a small crowd (open it, and it's twice the size for larger dishes or parties). One could fold a page to insert under a leg of a wobbly table. Its pages also work well to keep paint, oil, or grease off surfaces when once doesn't wish to soil one's newspaper. Otherwise, it's (dare I say) a "non-issue."

(However, I suppose I should give RS some credit for learning how to write reviews like the above.)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lists like these are more about drawing attention to the one making the list, rather than those on the list. "Dubious exercise" is a marvelous way to describe such lists, especially when they come from tattered vestiges like Rolling Stone.

I subscribed to Rolling Stone for a little while during high school and college, but I let go of it some thirty-something years ago when I realized it was about as valuable and vacuous as People. I suppose an issue of Rolling Stone might make for a passable trivet or a large coaster for a small crowd (open it, and it's twice the size for larger dishes or parties). One could fold a page to insert under a leg of a wobbly table. Its pages also work well to keep paint, oil, or grease off surfaces when once doesn't wish to soil one's newspaper. Otherwise, it's (dare I say) a "non-issue."

(However, I suppose I should give RS some credit for learning how to write reviews like the above.)
I used to get it for free for the clients in my home salon.

I knew I was old when the kids all laughed at me when I asked, "who's this Two pack Shaker guy?"

My niece and nephew still tease me about that...

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
According to Rolling Stone, the good old hockey game is 26th on the list of the best games you can name.

If "best" = "most popular" , McDonald's is the best restaurant in the world.
Personally I thought the hockey talk gave this thread some needed gravitas.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Were they ever?
Well, according to Bob Seger they "Deeetroit audiences are the greatest rock and roll audiences in the world!" And he knew that for 10 years.

So we know they were right on one subject prior to 1974......LOL!

Top Bottom