What's new

Zamak hating seems to be trendy these days

Except that that Weber is only $70 in America. In Europe, you pay a lot more, and I think that is also true for other continents. Shipping and taxes.

Yeah. unfortunately some things cost more depending on where you buy them It's an excellent deal for an all stainless steel razor.
Actually, about the best deal out there for stainless. Sorry you guys can't get them for the same price. Maybe a group buy or something like that would get you guys a great deal and get some Weber's to the other side of the pond.

I've owned Merkurs for years and have had no failures or plating loss. I use and clean them as I would any razor, old or new and since there are basic replacement parts available, I have no worries. I do own a selection of old Gillettes, but my long and short Mergress are my favorites and are good to go so far!

I haven't ever heard anyone here say a zamak razor shaves differently so I don't know where you got that. What it strictly comes down to is durability and longevity. There are 100+ year old Gillette razors. I have an old gillette that has no plating anymore but still functions 100% and will keep going. I have bought stainless razors and those will last lifetimes as well. I even think a quality plastic razor would last a long time. Zamak will not last. People shaving with slippery hands will drop the razor and maybe chip the plating. Rinsing the razor in a sink full of water you are bound to hit the bottom on accident and possibly chip the plating. It can fall of the counter. It's eventually going to get to the base metal and fall apart. A lot of people don't want to deal with it. Especially when a razor is a daily used, sentimental piece that may want to be passed down to generations. My personal opinion is I am not going to buy a razor to have it fall apart on me. With a stainless razor I can shave with it on my 30th birthday and my 40th, 50th, 60th and longer. I can use it before a big interview, wedding, funeral, party, etc. you can create a lifetime of history with a brass or stainless razor. You can't do that with zamak.

Last edited:
I haven't ever heard anyone here say a zamak razor shaves differently so I don't know where you got that. What it strictly comes down to is durability and longevity. There are 100+ year old Gillette razors. I have an old gillette that has no plating anymore but still functions 100% and will keep going. I have bought stainless razors and those will last lifetimes as well. I even think a quality plastic razor would last a long time. Zamak will not last. People shaving with slippery hands will drop the razor and maybe chip the plating. Rinsing the razor in a sink full of water you are bound to hit the bottom on accident and possibly chip the plating. It can fall of the counter. It's eventually going to get to the base metal and fall apart. A lot of people don't want to deal with it. Especially when a razor is a daily used, sentimental piece that may want to be passed down to generations. My personal opinion is I am not going to buy a razor to have it fall apart on me. With a stainless razor I can shave with it on my 30th birthday and my 40th, 50th, 60th and longer. I can use it before a big interview, wedding, funeral, party, etc. you can create a lifetime of history with a brass or stainless razor. You can't do that with zamak.

+1

That's exactly my point. The finish bubbling and chipping off in two weeks has nothing to do with Zamak. It's shoddy construction and terrible plating.

As people have mentioned I don't expect them to last a lifetime, but even then there a fair number of old merkurs around. It seems silly to me when folks start recommend someone doesn't buy a razor specifically because it's made of Zamak, or even worse claim the shave will be different (???). The only razors I can even think of costing more than $40 are the merkur progress/futur. People here tend to cycle through razors pretty rapidly anyway, it isn't like everything someone buys is going to be a family heirloom. Our dads/grandfathers didn't have a stable of razors.

Thanks.

I much prefer plated brass or stainless. Or the wondrous UFO red bronze. The quality of these materials adds a dimension of pleasure to shaving that, for me, is just not there with the big Z. This does not, however, prevent me from enjoying my R41 from time to time -- especially when I pair it with a stainless handle. :wink2:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate alloy for corrosive environments. I want plated brass and stainless steel.

i am a Boston Whaler man, brass and stainless fittings. I bought a 17 foot Montock 1967 used in 1977 and like my 1967 Gillette Slim, it is still good. Cheaper aluminum and alloy pits and turns into white powder in marine and corrosive environments. Some aluminum alloys stand up OK.

That being said, a $50 Merkur is an OK deal, just keep it clean and dry after each shave and don't worry about replating like a Gillette.

Last edited:
You'd think an old fashioned hobby would focus more on longevity but modern disposable methodology is the face of Safety Razors with Merkur and Edwin Jagger (if you search for DE/Safety razors those two seem to be recommended everywhere.) I feel there should be some warning to new people in a sticky somewhere about the longevity of these.

To be fair to Zinc Alloy with correct drying/storage and not dropping your stuff I would imagine they would last just as long, it's just the probability that they will is lower.

I have a merkur slant on the way.
Previously owned a 34C and progress but sold them [still near mint condition despite using it for a year or so].
So other than the enroute slant, I don't have a zamak razor
[I have a DLC weber, a nickel plated fatip, a brass handle Sabi T1 (head is probably zamak, but no loss if it 'dies' tomorrow), and an old type no-name OC]

The slant will probably outlive me. If not - it's only GBP25...and an opportunity to buy another slant ;)

If the fact that soap is alkaline is the problem, is the solution to minimising damage to zamak razors the use of lower alkaline soaps and creams. Here is a list from this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-112991.html

In descending order of pH level

9.5 Tabac soap
9.5 TOBS (sandalwood) cream
9.5 Proraso (ultra sensitive-green tea and aloe) soap

9.0 Mitchell's Wool Fat soap
9.0 Czech & Speake (Oxford & Cambridge) soap
9.0 Prarie Creations (chocolate dreams) soap
9.0 Mama Bear (British leather) soap

8.5 baking soda
8.5 Pre de Provence soap
8.5 Penhaligon's (Blenheim Bouquet) soap
8.5 Williams mug soap
8.5 Trumper's (coconut) cream

8.0 Art of Shaving soap (unscented)
8.0 Floris soap
8.0 C&E Nomad soap
8.0 Speick cream

6.5 SiBurning's tap water
5.0 alum block
2.5 styptic pencil

No mention here of glycerin soaps such as Conk's - anyone know the PH of that range?

Cheers, George

I don't expect my $50,000.00 car, my $$5,000.00 zero-turn radius mower, my $500.00 dishwasher, or my $50 jeans to last forever.

Why should I expect a $50 razor to last more than a few years??

If every razor was made to last forever, how long would the manufacturers stay in business? It might be the same argument as why don't manufacturers make "no-run" pantyhose, when it is obvious that they could?

I spend more on fast-food in a week (in a meal, if i have 2-3 people with me) than a decent pot metal razor costs. My Dodge Ram truck costs more to fill up with gas every week than 98% of all brand new DE razors made today. I can get a new stainless steel Weber, with shipping, for less than I spend on a tank of gas, too. A decent pair of Men's dress shoes costs as much as most "high-end" stainless steel razors, and 5 years from now, with daily use, the shoes will be long forgotten.

So what is my point? I forgot!!:laugh:

Plus One (Nothing Last Forever)

I recently purchased a NOS Lutz slant bar razor. Manufactured in Germany during the thirties. It appears to be made from Zamack. It's in excellent condition. You could never tell it was eighty some odd years old. I own several other german made razors. I always remove the blade, disassemble, and allow them to air dry in an open environment. I've never damaged the finish on any of them. Most could pass for new without showing any signs of deterioration.

Last edited:
I don't think many shavers hate zamak as such. I've had two Merkurs rot on me (plus a Jagger/Mühle head break) and I don't hate zamak. I just won't buy a razor with potential problems AND an inferior plating.

Do you really think the razor (Merkur slant in gold) in the pic below will last more than a few years? Please note that this one was not one of the two that rotted on me.

$Merkur gold slant.jpg

Last edited:
bosseb: I think you purchased the gold razor from the Elvis gift shop during your visit to Graceland. :001_smile

Last edited:
Top Bottom