What's new

Your wedding ring, and SWMBO's

$IMG_0565.jpg

My ring is tungsten carbide. I love this ring! It saved my fingers from being crushed when the hydraulics released on a pallet jack that I was moving. Two of my fingers had a decent cut on them and the ring was marked up a little bit but if it wasn't for the ring I'm sure I would've been in bad shape.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451747268.190760.jpg

Her engagement is an antique that she found on etsy. She wanted something different than the normal ring and I was happy that I didn't have to plop down thousands on a diamond (again). It's a cool design and the jewel is fake but looks nice. It's really big.

The wedding ring was custom made and a second try. The first they took a mold of the engagement ring and tried to make one but it looked like an elementary school art project. This one they took a stock ring and bent it into shape and its much better. The diamonds are from a ring my mom gave me for the proposal so it has a little history in it.

My ring originally was a $99 cobalt ordered online but I was between sizes. With a week before the wedding, I was panicking to find something that would fit. I almost picked up a plain band from a mall jeweler for way too much money but I saw a cool design for $1500 and decided to try and find a knockoff online. I spent a few hours on Amazon and tracked this one down, then called the "company" to make sure it would arrive on time. It was a guy on the west coast from his apartment with the kids yelling in the background.

So I spent $300 on this ring plus $75 to have it shipped express to get it two days before the wedding...and it fit perfectly!

My wife ended up not loving the giant wedding set and had trouble with eczema so we just picked up another antique ring, a rose gold filigree she can wear every day.

$rings.jpg

This doesn't include her engagement ring -- just her wedding band. Her engagement ring was her grandmother's and we had the wedding band made to complement. Unfortunately, we don't have a good photo of the engagement ring but it is a simple, elegant design with an emerald cut diamond flanked by a pair of tapered baguette diamonds.

My band is a mokume-gane ring made by Jim Binnion. I'm actually not wearing this one in the photo anymore. I thought I lost it so we had a replacement made. Years later when remodeling the kitchen we found it tucked away in a drawer. Since then my wife had Jim Binnion mount diamonds and add gold rails. It's her ring now.

Last edited:
Mine is a plain gold band. My advice to you is only 2 things:
1. get it in comfort fit. You won't regret it. No point in wearing a ring that isn't comfortable.
2. Get it engraved on the inside. Both of ours say "for time and eternity" on the inside. If nothing else, it's cute.

My wife's ring is a family ring. Old style setting. Diamonds are small. The ring is probably 60+ years old and is now cracked at the bottom.
She doesn't wear it because it needs to be repaired. Just haven't got that done yet.
I'm not currently wearing mine because I need to get it re-sized.

I really gotta get that stuff done.

I've seen some beautiful rings in this thread. They are truly beautiful.

My fiancée and I wear a pair of matched titanium rings to show our dedication to one another. We picked them up on Amazon, and we would again happily. We also have a matched pair of tungsten carbide rings that always receive compliments. Those were also picked up on Amazon, and use nickel as the binder rather than cobalt, which I found out many companies use, which can cause permanent staining to the ring.

Here is a link from a jeweler that really doesn't like titanium or tungsten carbide rings that I thought many of you might find interesting...

http://www.callagold.com/wedding-rings/dont-buy-titanium-or-tungsten-wedding-bands/

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Here is a link from a jeweler that really doesn't like titanium or tungsten carbide rings that I thought many of you might find interesting...

http://www.callagold.com/wedding-rings/dont-buy-titanium-or-tungsten-wedding-bands/

The sizing issue is true, if you buy from reputable companies they will offer a replacement guarantee for a different size for a small fee; less than or equal to the cost of having a gold ring re-sized. I did this once after loosing weight, neither my wife or I care it isn't the one used on our wedding day.

Other than that he's basically saying It will be more special if you buy a ring that cost 1200+/ounce from me instead of a much more economical option. :001_smile

The sizing issue is true, if you buy from reputable companies they will offer a replacement guarantee for a different size for a small fee; less than or equal to the cost of having a gold ring re-sized. I did this once after loosing weight, neither my wife or I care it isn't the one used on our wedding day.

Other than that he's basically saying It will be more special if you buy a ring that cost 1200+/ounce from me instead of a much more economical option. :001_smile

Oh believe me, I understood her just fine. I think that she is wrong, and just wants to push expensive metals and try to guilt those that are considering more reasonable options. Marriage is more than a ring. It's devotion, love, compassion, empathy, understanding, and communication, along with other things far too numerous to list. I'm glad that you agree with reasonable prices and more durable metal or ceramic!

I haven't worn mine for years. I quit smoking in 2002 and ballooned up and haven't been able to wear it. I'm thinking I can get it enlarged (or I could try to lose some weight).

I haven't worn mine for years. I quit smoking in 2002 and ballooned up and haven't been able to wear it. I'm thinking I can get it enlarged (or I could try to lose some weight).

Mine's plain white gold as i don't like gold gold but i haven't worn it for over five years. In my case i was pretty sick and lost way too much weight and the ring would fall off so while hospitalized i took it off and gave it to my wife for safe keeping. Just never put it back on.

dave

Legion

Staff member
So an update, as I pass my one year anniversary. I did use my silver coin ring as my wedding band, and looking at the picture in my original post, about half the detail in the raised parts of the coin have already worn down. I expect it to be completely smooth within three or four years. Oh well.

I will think of it as symbolic of how marriage wears you down. :001_tongu

Top Bottom