What's new

Your top 5 DE blades

Vintage NOS
  • Personna Super Platinum Chrome (a successor to the P74; I find it smoother) Made in USA
  • Gillette Super Stainless Aussie Spoiler (Made in Australia)
  • Iridium Super (Made in Poland BN-76 or BN-84)
  • Gillette Platinum Royal (Made in England)
  • Wilkinson SwordMaster XCN Chrome (Made in England)
IMHO, all the above vintage blades are superior to any modern blade I have tried.
Having said that, I get very good shaves with the below-listed shaves.

Modern
  • Polsilver SI (St Petersburg)
  • Perma Sharp (Gold box with Turkish writing)
  • Wizamet Iridium Super
  • Gillette Platinum (Dark Blue)
  • Haven't found a 5th that makes the cut as yet

Vintage NOS
  • Personna Super Platinum Chrome (a successor to the P74; I find it smoother) Made in USA
  • Gillette Super Stainless Aussie Spoiler (Made in Australia)
  • Iridium Super (Made in Poland BN-76 or BN-84)
  • Gillette Platinum Royal (Made in England)
  • Wilkinson SwordMaster XCN Chrome (Made in England)
IMHO, all the above vintage blades are superior to any modern blade I have tried.
Interesting.

So, like all those afflicted by BAD with a healthy patriotic interest in my country's part in the history of this fine and noble art, I researched the prices of these famed Gillette Super Stainless Aussie Spoilers ('The Spoiler'), and...:ohmy:

Cheapest I could find was not far short of $6 per blade (inc delivery). Most expensive in my collection is Kai at $1.05 (inc delivery). :sad:

For some reason they all seemed to be located in the USA, which means a huge postal cost for Aussies, much more than the price of the blades themselves. Which is ridiculous for a tiny packet that weighs almost nothing. But that is what we Down Under call the Australia Tax. The one tax we can't avoid, legally or otherwise.

From the ones I use or used. Very YMMV.

1) Astra SP (I only have the Russian ones, bought in 2019). A proven, reliable performer in a wide range of razors. Sharp and smooth. This is the blade I use to try new razors because I know how it performs.

2) Feather. Also a proven and reliable blade, very sharp. Best for mild and medium razors, perfectly usable in aggressive razors but does require attention.

These two are my “go-to” blades and the ones I mostly use. The rest of the list is what I used a while back and liked, but didn’t really go back to:

3) Bic Chrome Platinum. A solid sharp blade, close to Feather in performance. Didn’t use them much as I bought 200 Feathers.

4) Parker Premium. Received a sample with my original Variant. Pretty close to Astra SP. Didn’t buy more because Astras are cheaper.

5) That’s a tough spot… most other blades had something or other that I didn’t quite like. Astra SS and Personna gave me irritation (I may have an issue with uncoated SS blades). Bolzano carved me up like a piece of ham. Derby Premium was ok but not as good as Astra. Rapira Chrome sucked ***. There’s Perma-Sharp that I just bought, will see if it makes it to the top.

So, like all those afflicted by BAD with a healthy patriotic interest in my country's part in the history of this fine and noble art, I researched the prices of these famed Gillette Super Stainless Aussie Spoilers ('The Spoiler'), and...:ohmy:

Cheapest I could find was not far short of $6 per blade (inc delivery). Most expensive in my collection is Kai at $1.05 (inc delivery). :sad:

For some reason they all seemed to be located in the USA, which means a huge postal cost for Aussies, much more than the price of the blades themselves. Which is ridiculous for a tiny packet that weighs almost nothing. But that is what we Down Under call the Australia Tax. The one tax we can't avoid, legally or otherwise.
Just picked up a batch of 100 locally at AUD$1/blade.

I like sharp and smooth:

1. Bic CP
2. Gillette Super Thin Vietnam-Japanese Steel
3. Gillette Platinum Swedes (Russia)
4. Personna USA Platinum Chrome (slightly vintage)
5. Derby Usta

Schick Injector II
AC blades (depends on the razor)

Vintage NOS is the majority of what I use

1. Gillette Platinum Plus
2. Gillette Spoiler
3. Gillette SS from early to late 60's--before the Spoilers came on scene.
4. Wilkie Super Swords
5. Gillette Super Stainless from mid to late 80's after the Spoiler moniker was dropped.

I get the best shaves/longevity from the aforementioned.
That said I do like Nacets, Feathers and the Dorco ST 300.

1) Gillette Perma-Sharp
2) Gillette Nacet
3) Astra SP
4) Wizamet Super Iridium/Pol Silver
5) Rapira Platinum Lux

The Perma-Sharp has recently vaulted over the Nacet by a whisker. They're pretty much interchangeable.
The Pol Silver/Wizamet blades are impossible to find and expensive when you do. I only have a few left.
I like the Rapira just a hair over the Voskhod.
I think the Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow) is right up there too. I've only used two of them and was suitably impressed.

Good evening everyone ! My last visit here was in June 2023 and this is one of my very last messages on the forum.

Before presenting my updated top 5, i would like to share some experience with the vintage Gillette Blue blades. It's a bt long but i think it's worth reading it...

I had already talked of it with @Hannah's Dad in my introducing thread. I had a memorable shave with an early 60's Extra Blue blade & my favourite razor, the UK post-war Tech.
The blade wasn't contaminated by humidity so it had some sharpness remained. But it didn't last long because i think the blade was too old.

So i said to myself that if i could find a pack of one of the latest Blue blades Gillette made before stopping the production, i might be able to see how this blade was really capable of. A blue blade at almost its full potential...

And that's what i did, i managed to find these ones : the late 70's/ early 80's Extra Blue blades made in Germany. These ones :
blue extra 70s-80s.jpg

And it gave me 4 fantastic shaves (4 passes/shave), problably one of the most beautiful results i've ever had.
I think i could have pushed it to the 5th, but i'm not sure.

So, even if they are no longer made, unfortunately, i've decided to include them in my top 5 because they do deserve it.

#1- Gillette Blue Extra carbon (late 70s/early 80s, Germany)
1980 (A3) Package 10 Blue Gillette Extra Germany.png
#2- Big Ben super stainless (blue pack, Egypt)
big ben.jpg
#3- Gillette platinum (ink marking, Russia)
platinum.jpg
#4- Gillette 7 O'clock super platinum (India)
7 o'clock super platinum.jpg
#5- Bic chrome platinum (Greece)
lames-de-rasoir-chrome-platinum-bic-pack-de-5.jpg

Honorable mention to the Elios platinum swedish steel blades which are at #6 place.
elios.jpg

By the way, @Shaun asleep / @Babou : the pack on the right on my personal picture was sold to me by a Belgian dude.
So, since you live in Belgium and you're also not far from Germany, i think you should be able to find some packs. They are worth trying... :thumbsup:

Attachments

• blue extra 70s-80s.jpg
    blue extra 70s-80s.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Following recent experimentation with different blades, this would be my current ranking:

1. Gillette Nacet Stainless - great combination of sharp and smooth; felt great on my face.
2. Bic Chrome Platinum - maybe the sharpest of the bunch, and still plenty smooth.
3. Tie: Gillette Silver Blue and Wilkinson Sword (Germany) - both felt incredibly smooth, and still plenty sharp enough.
4. Personna Lab Blue - Much like the GSB and WSG, but barely nudged out. Still a fantastic blade.
5. 7 O'Clock Yellow - a mixed bag; some really good shaves, some not so great.

This is it for now, as the experiment is ongoing. I had used Astra SPs exclusively for about two years before deciding to try some others. All of this left me just a bit confused, however, especially regarding the Astra SPs. I initially noticed that all of the other blades seemed sharper, and I got some fantastic shaves. I gave 7 or 8 blades 4-5 shaves each to arrive at this ranking. Along the way, I really paid attention to prep and technique, and learned a great deal, even after 15 years of wet shaving, about what it takes to get a great shave, what works and what doesn't, and how you must get it dialed in for each different blade. At the end of this experiment, I revisited the Astra SP for comparison, and was amazed with the result. I found them to be incredibly smooth and got some amazingly smooth, close shaves. However, they often left me with significant irritation and redness that did not manifest until a few hours after the shave. It was really strange, as the shave itself was extremely comfortable and left me with a great face-feel, only to have the razor burn appear later. All I can determine is that the Astra was not as sharp as the others, but is incredibly smooth, and I was fooled into digging in with a little extra pressure and "over shaving" which resulted in the irritation. So, at this point they don't make my top 5, but I am intrigued enough to try again and see if I can't get it dialed in.

As usual - YMMV. Just enjoy.

Top Bottom