What's new

Your top 5 DE blades

My current top 5:
  • Gillette Platinum
  • Gillette Silver
  • Astra SP
  • Shark SS
  • Dorco Prime

Just tried Feather for the first time which could end up in my top 5 in the future. I'm also interested in trying a few other blades as I make a dent in my current stock. Still finding my way through the many options.

Scott

Return of the top 5 blades, gents ! 🧐 Since i'm in a period of testing new blades in my favourite razor, my ranking has begun to change :

1) Gillette platinum (ink marking, with the point on the " i ")
lames-gillette-platinium-de-securite-par-5.jpg

2) Gillette 7 O'Clock super platinum (India)
DSC00628-scaled.jpg

3) Polsilver Super Iridium
vzncbuceg3en.jpg

4) Gillette 7 O'Clock sharp edge
lames-gillette-7-o-clock-sharp-edge-par-5.jpg

5) Souplex (Solingen, Germany) [new pack]
30-StSouplex-Fabriqué-En-Solingen-Lames-de.jpg

Unfortunately, current Souplex blades are far to be as good as the 2011 excellent ones with the yellow pack used to be... What a waste ! :frown2:
25030924lt.jpg

Just as an FYI the pic you posted is probably of a counterfeit Polsilver, as indicated by the curled bottom of the Y in Zyletek. Real Polsilvers have a straight Y in that text. I wasn’t sure if you got that off the web, or if you took a pic of your own tuck.

Thanks for the info because i wasn't aware that these blades had been counterfeited. But indeed, i chose this pic on the web at random... You have a hawk eye ! 🧐 :biggrin:

Gillette Platinum
Gillette 7 O’clock super stainless (green)
Gillette Nacet.

99/100 shaves I use a Gillette Platinum. They just work in every razor for me. Smoothe and sharp enough. Nacet when I want/need something sharper. Greens are backup.

Is there a difference between platinums with laser or ink markings? I’ve just settled on laser🤷‍♂️

Not in a specific order and razor dependant:

Gillette Platinum
Bic Chrome Platinum
Wilkinson Sword Classic (Germany)
Astra Green
Feather

99/100 shaves I use a Gillette Platinum. They just work in every razor for me. Smoothe and sharp enough.

Same for me ! :cool:

Is there a difference between platinums with laser or ink markings? I’ve just settled on laser🤷‍♂️

This is very subjective but, in my case, i've found more defect blades with the laser marking packs than with the ink marking ones.

But again, maybe it's just me who had bad luck... Despite of that, i do love every version of the Platinum ! 🤓

No particular order:

1. Gillette Silver Blue
2. Feather
3. Astra SP
4. Gillette King C
5. Wilkinson Sword

For those that have used Gillette Platinums and Silver Blues, how would you compare them? I haven't tried Platinums but I have heard great things.

No particular order:

1. Gillette Silver Blue
2. Feather
3. Astra SP
4. Gillette King C
5. Wilkinson Sword

For those that have used Gillette Platinums and Silver Blues, how would you compare them? I haven't tried Platinums but I have heard great things.
There are both excellent blades and rather similar, IMO. Perhaps the Platinums have a slight edge in smoothness. The glue spots on the Silver Blues drive me crazy.

Just as an FYI the pic you posted is probably of a counterfeit Polsilver, as indicated by the curled bottom of the Y in Zyletek. Real Polsilvers have a straight Y in that text. I wasn’t sure if you got that off the web, or if you took a pic of your own tuck.

View attachment 1489010
That's how mine are, and if these are counterfeit I want whoever made them to make me more, because they're the best razor blade I've personally used.

That changes again for me :

1) Gillette platinum (ink marking, with the point on the " i ")
lames-gillette-platinium-de-securite-par-5.jpg

2) Gillette 7 O'Clock super platinum (India)
DSC00628-scaled.jpg

3) Polsilver Super Iridium
vzncbuceg3en.jpg

4) Gillette 7 O'Clock sharp edge
lames-gillette-7-o-clock-sharp-edge-par-5.jpg

5) Gillette Silver Blue (new pack)
silver blue new.jpg

This Silver Blue has a very good sharpness but i had a light irritation feeling several hours after the shave...🤔 That's the reason why it is only on the 5th place.

Current top blades using a Ti Blackbird

1). Perma-Sharp
2) Feather
3) Polsilver SI
4). Wizamet SI
5). Polsilver Stainless

But I really am only using Perma-Sharp, occasionally using a Feather

My top blades I use are:
Feather
Personna Red
Astra Green
Treet Carbon Steel (I get good shaves with them But very short life)

The razors I use them in:
Merkur slant
A very old razor called a contact
Gillette New OC that I use without the bottom plate
There are all very aggressive with the slant being the mildest. I mention the razors because each blade works differently in each razor.
I found that buying assortments was the way to go to try a bunch of different blades.

I'm just getting acclimated with various blades, via a sampler pack I've gotten. I've almost exclusively only used Feather blades for years, but as of test driving a few more and broadening my experience, I would say right now:

Feather
Nacet
Personna
Shark Platinum
Voskhod

This is all subject to change as I gather more experience.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm just getting acclimated with various blades, via a sampler pack I've gotten. I've almost exclusively only used Feather blades for years, but as of test driving a few more and broadening my experience, I would say right now:

Feather
Nacet
Personna
Shark Platinum
Voskhod

This is all subject to change as I gather more experience.
You're ahead of me. I can describe and/or discuss AC blades but I've only had three shaves with a DE razor.. and one blade, a King C Gillette blade. It's very nice but I have nothing with which to compare it.

I have Wizamet and Kai blades in the queue. I'll rotate them in when this KCG dies.

Top Bottom