What's new

Your Smoothest and Most Efficient Razors

My smoothest and most efficient razor is the
Giesen und Forsthoff Timor
Which is similar to the mühle R89 and Merkur 34 c.
It's so damn smooth but gives me the closest shaves, but paying attention to the technique is important.

I don’t have a huge sample size to compare, but the Blackland Era is easily the smoothest I’ve tried. The 3 oc plate is plenty efficient for me, but I don’t chase bbs shaves. 1-2 passes gets me the ccs/dfs I’m looking for.

The best compromise between smoothness & efficiency that I have experienced is with the Merkur 37C. I find it very mild, very comfortable, very smooth, yet very efficient.

I only own 8 DE razors but the 3 smoothest/efficient ones are (i have quite sensitive skin, medium coarse hair):

- Rockwell 6C (plate 4 for good smoothness/efficiency ratio, plate 5 still smooth but better efficiency)
- Yaqi Mellon (very efficient and very smooth, with a Lemonwald cheap handle, superb handle for me, can not slip yet isnt painfully grinding)
- Gentleman Barbier SS handle (french DE razor, has a generic head i think, very good smoothness/efficiency, no pressure while shaving required, surprisingly good shaver)

PS: i shaved with a Wilkinson Sword Hydro cartridge 4 blade razor today, i have to admit this is very efficient yet very smooth too, i was a bit surprised, and these are completely foolproof

Smooth and efficient are a little hard to accomplish in the same package. The AS-D2 is possibly the smoothest razor made today but while efficient enough for my needs, not so much for the guys with heavy coarse beards. All but a couple of my razors are considered to milder to mid (like the adjustable 195 and Slim). Just got a new R41 and efficient is it. Smooth? Not for me yet but I hope we can get there. I think the Muhle Rocca series and Tatara Masamune might be contenders depending on the plate but probably not to those of you who want or need truly aggressive razors.
Try the R41 with the Yaqi Mellon or SLOC top cap 👏🏼👏🏼

In alphabetical order.

For one day of growth, Game Changer .84-P and SS Lupo (SB) 72.

For multiple days of growth, Fatip Grande Original (OC) and SS Lupo OC 72.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just reread the entire thread... just to make sure. I noticed I commented on it when I had the Blutt BR-1 and the ATT X1 AC slant.. since then, I've added a couple mild, yet efficient razors... smooth, comfortable and close... for me. I don't need the efficiency some people require. As David @never-stop-learning mentioned earlier in this thread... we all have varying needs so it's tough to give advice unless the person giving the advice and the person receiving it have similar needs.

I have found, over the last year, if you find people who share the aforementioned requirements, their advice saves time and helps reduce the risk when buying razors. My top 6 razors aren't the most efficient based on careful reading here on B&B, but for me, they are wonderful. I've listed them several times with Huge thank you-s. @Mr. Shavington took me under his wings early on. He even went so far as to buy my favorite razor, i.e., the ESC Claymore Evolution... so he could share a baseline. Because of his guidance, I now own the Blutt BR-1 1.20, the Rocnel Elite, the Lambda Athena and the Wolfman Bronze WR2 0.95. Jim / @Chan Eil Whiskers and @Old Hippie recommended the ATT X1 AC Slant and Larry / @LRod told me about the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2.

I don't know how to rate things.. I don't know what an efficiency of 10 would be... Equally, I don't know what a smoothness of 10 would be either.... I don't have enough personal experience.

Top Bottom