What's new

Your help needed! Highest New Improved serial numbers from Gillette's non-US plants

We have a pretty good idea how Gillette's American factory's serial numbers for the New Improved razors line up against years of production from Phillip Krumholz's research for his book The Complete Gillette Collector's Handbook, presumably sourced from company records as late as this was. But we don't really have any idea about the razors made in other countries. We know that the letter suffixes were used to indicate the country of origin -- according to the information we have V = Spain, W = France, Y = England, Z = Canada -- but we don't even know where these various series ended. Presumably they made fewer than a million razors in each location, but exactly how many is unknown, at least as far as I'm aware.

Let's see if we can't shine at least a little light into this darkness. If you have a New Improved razor from any of these countries please post a photo of its serial number and let's keep a running tally of the latest ones we can find. Personally, I'm pretty sure that I've never seen even one from Spain, and possibly not from France either. But let's see what you guys have!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I will post a picture this evening of my Canadian New Improved. Great idea Porter!

48139 Z

$NI #.jpg

Last edited:
I can't get a decent photo with my phone, but my latest Canadian New Improved is a Silver Tuckaway serial:

1 1 4 3 6 9 Z

Great idea. Unfortunately all of mine are USA, but I will keep an eye on this thread.

Last edited:
OK folks, I know we've got more out there than this. I'm going to be digging through my own collection this weekend to see what I've got.

So far here are the numbers to beat:

Spain (V)Nothing yet!
France (W)Nothing yet!
England (Y)164432Y
Canada (Z)114369Z (Come on, Ace. Try and get a photo or we'll send Alex and Spot after you.)

Yes, I'm winning for Canada! :lol:

This is the best my phone is able to get, I will get a camera and get a better one.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
OK folks, I know we've got more out there than this. I'm going to be digging through my own collection this weekend to see what I've got.

So far here are the numbers to beat:

Spain (V)Nothing yet!
France (W)Nothing yet!
England (Y)164432Y
Canada (Z)
114369Z (Come on, Ace. Try and get a photo or we'll send Alex and Spot after you.)
still waiting -----
I know, out of 38,950 plus B&B members only 5 have chimed in.....we are still waiting guys/gals. $e5297d97-7de4-44c0-8d78-33a0aac90773 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
There was a British Bostonian set that was up for auction in eBay Germany recently and while I did not win it, I'm documenting it here for posterity.

Auction end date: 25 August 2013
Item ID: 321188203824
Serial number: 154917 Y
Pictures:
$bbostonian1.JPG

$bbostonian2.JPG

Yes, I'm winning for Canada! :lol:

This is the best my phone is able to get, I will get a camera and get a better one.

I didn't buy this but here is a traveler set with a "Date" on the box and a serial number for Canada

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 165
I also passed on this but it was a complete set with shipper
Looks like 064080Y ?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 162
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg