What's new

Your First One

Howdy,
Important stuff bold face. Other stuff just boring back story.

I just shaved with each of my three razors over this past week. The razors are (in order of purchase): Merkur 180 Long Handled Razor, Weber DLC with Classic Handle, EJ DE89 Barley. I have been wet shaving since January having received the Merkur for Christmas. I purchased the Weber after reading a bit and liking that it was US made and pretty cool w/ the DLC. I purchased the EJ cause it was so dang shiney

Okay, sorry for the long back story. Anywho, none of the razors gives me a better shave than the Merkur. I'm wondering if there is something about the razor one learns on that makes it special. If you purchase a razor wholly unsuited for one's face I doubt this would happen. But what if the first razor you use is one best suited for one's face. I'm pretty close to trading out my Weber for a badger brush. The EJ gives a nice shave and I'll probably keep it, but that (based on forum comments) non-dazzling Merkur I'm keeping forever.

I started with a Gillette Blue Tip.
I sold it a long time ago.
It didn't do anything for me anymore.

I never felt at any time that it was perfect for me.

I stated with a Muhle R89. Still produces the best shaves for me so far. I tried straights for a few months and just came back to DE's. Working with a Tradere OC right now and still working with the straights occasionally. I will always have a place in my den for the R89. Makes me glad I spent a couple extra bucks on my first razor.

i started with a Gillette Tech back in the 1960s, after rediscoving DE shaving I started with a Gillette New then another Tech and then a whole bunch of other stuff.
My main razor at the moment is an English Rocket with Polsilver blades.
If I had got the rocket and those blades first rather than the sample pack then it would have been great but I didn't. I like my other razors but the Rocket is the daddy.

My first safety razor was the polished chrome Futur. I still have it. There are few razors that are better.

Last edited:
None of the three DE choices I could make back then seemed right for me. Instead, I used an SE razor, but didn't keep track of it, and when I bought a Schick Injector later, I ended up losing the SE and one of the DEs. I didn't develop any particular affection for the Injector razor, and it also disappeared after I moved on to a next razor.

I settled down for over twenty years with Gillette DE Adjustables, and liked them well enough that I still have the only three I remember clearly (I have a vague feeling there might have been a long handle SA, but if so, it didn't stick around very long). I spent almost twenty years after that with Sensors and Sensor-Excels, and I don't know which of those I used most. They don't have a shred of personality about them.

Top Bottom