What's new

Your favorite adjustable?

Hey I finally decided on a DE razor and figured an adjustable would be my best bet as I need something more aggressive on certain areas and the adjustable made the most sense. But I am over whelmed with Gillette's , Merkurs etc. I wanted to ask what is by far your best shavers? I am also skeptical about using used blades,soaps etc. so I wanted the Merkurs as they're new but is a fatboy worth it?

ChrisG said:
I am also skeptical about using used blades,soaps etc. so I wanted the Merkurs as they're new but is a fatboy worth it?
Huh? :confused1

My favorite is the Toggle. But a Fat Boy or a slim, or even a Super Adjustable should be just fine, I get good results with all of them.

I have used a Gillette Slim and a Gillette long handled Super Adjustable and I prefer the S.A. because of its larger handle.

Can't go wrong with either a Fatboy or Slim. While I prefer the feel of the Fatboy, Slims are more affordable these days.

Jeff in Boston

If you're trying to choose between them, taking a poll isn't the best way. There's a definite difference between how the futur and a SA works, or in general between how merkurs and gillettes work. My understanding is the merkur progress is more middle of the road. I don't know the best way to get a more specific answer, but if you favor merkur or gillette in a fixed razor, you'll probably favor the same thing in an adjustable.

If it were only that simple... I kind of like (well, maybe not like, but appreciate) the futur at a large gap, but don't care for it at a smaller gap. Otherwise, I prefer gilette.

Last edited:
I picked up a Mergress from Yohann a couple of weeks ago. Let me just say that Mer is a work of art!!! It has quickly become my favorite adjustable. Smooth as can be!! :001_tt1:

I only have a slim so no point of comparison to other adjustables but I love the slim and the fact that it was James Bond's razor in Goldfinger.

Favorite contemporary:

1. Mekur Vision
2. Mekur Progress (Long Handle)

Favorite vintage:

1. Gillette Fatboy
2. Gillette Toggle
3. Gillette Slim

Last edited:
Top Bottom