What's new

Your Best Picture(s) of the Year?

If you used the same equipment as Ansel Adams would you get the same results?

Adams was a great developer. He made the silver halide dance.

People ask me the same question and then they say, "Oh that camera takes great pictures." :cursing: No, I took the photo. I framed it and checked out the lighting. The camera recorded it.

Fair enough, but you can't get that photo with a Brownie. I do appreciate that people underestimate the composition, patience, experience, and timing that it takes to get a great shot, but while a great carpenter never blames his tools, you can't carve portraits with a long sword.

I admire your ability to envision, frame, wait, and prepare that shot.

Now, what's your rig? :001_smile

such brilliant pictures. hard to pick. I will go with expatcanuck's shots for now, with subject to change.
Thanks kindly. But I did have the advantage of being able to capture images in one of the most primal nature exhibits left on the planet.
I just happened to have a 55-300mm zoom attached to an SLR with shake-reduction handy. :wink:

All the photos have merit, tho' I'm particularly fond of Ginantonix, Andrew & Lou's photos.

I do wish Lou would share, if not the equipment, the lens/exposure information.

And I'd welcome knowing the lens/exposure data for you other gents as well.

- Richard

Thanks kindly. But I did have the advantage of being able to capture images in one of the most primal nature exhibits left on the planet. I just happened to have a 55-300mm zoom attached to an SLR with shake-reduction handy. :wink:

All the photos have merit, tho' I'm particularly fond of Ginantonix, Andrew & Lou's photos.

I do wish Lou would share, if not the equipment, the lens/exposure information.

And I'd welcome knowing the lens/exposure data for you other gents as well.

- Richard

Thanks for the nod, Richard. I need to get out and shoot more.

All of my photos were taken with this camera. It isn't magical, but it has held me over while I pine for Nikon's DSLR offerings. Even though the camera has shake reduction capability I find it really screws with the exposure and leave it off. As long as you keep your elbows by your sides you can get a well-focused shot (My mnemonic for this is to not be a tourist...)

Thanks for the nod, Richard. I need to get out and shoot more.

All of my photos were taken with this camera. It isn't magical, but it has held me over while I pine for Nikon's DSLR offerings. Even though the camera has shake reduction capability I find it really screws with the exposure and leave it off. As long as you keep your elbows by your sides you can get a well-focused shot (My mnemonic for this is to not be a tourist...)

well I know what camera just went on my wishlist.

well I know what camera just went on my wishlist.

You can't get them retail anymore, but tech equipment doesn't hold its value like razors do... :rolleyes: Looks like they're going for $200 or less now on eBay now... I bought mine less than two years ago for more than twice that :censored:

You can't get them retail anymore, but tech equipment doesn't hold its value like razors do... :rolleyes: Looks like they're going for $200 or less now on eBay now... I bought mine less than two years ago for more than twice that :censored:

its on amazon and that is good enough for me. looking at nikon d60 too.

We went to Sea World San Antonio with the family a few days ago. Got a chance to get some behind the scenes up close look at the animals. Absolutely amazing...

proxy.php

I don't shoot a lot for myself and I can't post what I've taken for clients. However, here are a few simple photos.

I took a Saturday early in the year for myself and just explored a single downtown block. I spent several hours just in a single abandoned lot.

proxy.php

proxy.php

This next images may not say much to you without understanding the context. It's from a shoot I did for the organization Life Rolls On. The event was called "They Will Surf Again". It was an eye-opening experience to see all these people we normally see as "tethered" to their wheelchairs getting in the ocean and experiencing the joy and thrill of surfing. The smiles on their faces were unbeatable. I was only going to post one, but decided to share more because it was such a powerful event.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom