What's new

Yet Another Try of Cremo Cream

I tried this some years ago and went "Meh," and put it in the back of the bathroom closet. Came across it yesterday as I was storing some razors, and decided to give it another try. I've been trying Harry's razors, and after my beard slowed down, used it with a gel yesterday with good results. Wondering if gels worked better than lathers for multi-blade cartridges, I decided to give Cremo Cream another try. That, and the notion to use up my stuck-back stock.

Most of what can be said about Cremo Cream has already been said here. What I found disconcerting is that it dries quickly. Had to splash on some extra water, and the quick drying spurred me to shave faster than I normally would.

The results is a close shave, but some irritation. That had to some from shaving too fast and applying pressure to get the job done. Will try it again, but it's not my favorite.

I tried Cremo 3 years ago when I started DE shaving and that stuff lit my face on fire. I got a bad reaction from it. Somehow I got into communication with the company, I think after they sent me an email on another product and I responded that if it was anything like their shave cream they could keep it and told them to remove me from there email list. That started a bunch of emails that ended up with them sending me another tube to try in case the first one was bad and I still got a reaction from it. They also included a bottle of face cream and that I like and can use. They are a company that stands behind their products. After my last response to them that I the other tube didn't work they offered a full refund in which I declined because I thought they went above and beyond. Told them I didn't feel right taking a refund since they sent me a tube of shave cream and a bottle of lotion at their expense. I use the cream like an aftershave balm over AS to keep the face moisturized this time of the year. If I ever use that up I would gladly buy another bottle.

I tried Cremo 3 years ago when I started DE shaving and that stuff lit my face on fire. I got a bad reaction from it. Somehow I got into communication with the company, I think after they sent me an email on another product and I responded that if it was anything like their shave cream they could keep it and told them to remove me from there email list. That started a bunch of emails that ended up with them sending me another tube to try in case the first one was bad and I still got a reaction from it. They also included a bottle of face cream and that I like and can use. They are a company that stands behind their products. After my last response to them that I the other tube didn't work they offered a full refund in which I declined because I thought they went above and beyond. Told them I didn't feel right taking a refund since they sent me a tube of shave cream and a bottle of lotion at their expense. I use the cream like an aftershave balm over AS to keep the face moisturized this time of the year. If I ever use that up I would gladly buy another bottle.

Sounds like they did right by you! I'm not a fan of lather-less creams, but do look forward to trying their lathering sandalwood, if it ever becomes available locally.

May be my last post on this. Wasn't happy with my shave yesterday, and something set my hay fever off. Given the time of year, it may not have been the product, especially since it never seemed to bother me before. This morning, though, I opted for VDH Luxury shaving soap, and had just as slick a shave.

Oh well. No shaving product works for everyone.

As far as drying quickly...you do realize you're supposed to wet your face as you shave, don't you? Wet face, rub in Cremo, dampen face and shave. Keep adding a few drops of water to each area as you do your passes. Usually no need to re-apply the Cremo. The Cremo acts as a lubricating layer, so you add a few drops of water before you apply the razor.

I typically will wet my finger tips and rub the water onto a quadrant of my face and shave that one area, then repeat for each section. Same technique for shave oils.

I haven't used the Cremo, but I've use the non-lathering Zirh. It is a very different bird. It takes multiple handfuls of water to keep it thin. When I follow the rules for non-lathering cream it preforms fantastic. The Zirh is my go to cream on rough days.

I tried this some years ago and went "Meh," and put it in the back of the bathroom closet. Came across it yesterday as I was storing some razors, and decided to give it another try. I've been trying Harry's razors, and after my beard slowed down, used it with a gel yesterday with good results. Wondering if gels worked better than lathers for multi-blade cartridges, I decided to give Cremo Cream another try. That, and the notion to use up my stuck-back stock.

Most of what can be said about Cremo Cream has already been said here. What I found disconcerting is that it dries quickly. Had to splash on some extra water, and the quick drying spurred me to shave faster than I normally would.

The results is a close shave, but some irritation. That had to some from shaving too fast and applying pressure to get the job done. Will try it again, but it's not my favorite.

I use Cremo maybe 2-4 times a week but not for my face shave, I use it just for head shaves. I think that their claim of "impossibly slick formula fight nicks, irritation and razor burn" holds true. I won't use anything else on my head because my head gets more nicks than my face it seems like from razors. I noticed that when I use Cremo, it drastically reduce nicks and irritation. With that being said, it is very thirsty, which means I have to continue applying small drops of water to keep it slick, as mentioned on this thread. The fact I have to keep babying it to keep it working properly is a small nuisance; but it keeps the skin on my head happy, nick and irritation free so I deal with it. As far as face shaves go, I use it when I'm low on time and get good shaves. I can get awesome results if I take my time, so it's just like any shave cream out there, the technique seems to be the major factor! Don't rush the shave, that only equals bad news! Do what I do and just put up with the thirsty formula and apply small drops of water between cleaning your razor and re-positioning your hand!

Picked up some of the menthol version when it was on sale at the grocer. Yep, meh for me as a shaving cream. I followed directions, didn't try to lather it with a brush.

I am using it up in very small amounts as a preshave. I apply a pea sized amount as I finish up a shower. Gets the menthol vibe started and doesn’t seem to have any ill effect on the shave. Not something I’ll buy again.

Try a dollop of Cremo on top of puck of Williams = super slick, creamy lather. I use this combo every day and get a butter smooth shave with no irritation and a pleasant scent - YMMV.

Try a dollop of Cremo on top of puck of Williams = super slick, creamy lather. I use this combo every day and get a butter smooth shave with no irritation and a pleasant scent - YMMV.

OK, that’s on my list for tomorrow. In the case of my Cremo tube, I’ll get a little mentholation as well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Gave mine to wife for lady-leg shaving. Better than her bar soap!

Non-lathering sticks well for shower-shaving. Fluffy suds wash off too quick.

AA

I use Cremo daily as a preshave and it keeps my skin slick for two passes (applying water in between) and my wet touch ups at the end. I only use about a 1 inch line and a fair amount of water. My last tube lasted over 5 mos. I have used it by itself but I am not a fan of just the thin layer. It is slippery.

I've had good luck with Cremo. The lather does collapse faster than most other creams, but there is nothing as slick as Cremo.

DSCF0124 - Edited (1).jpg

Dollop of Cremo Cooling (menthol version) on top of the Williams. I like my Willliams, but this lather was slicker, longer lasting, and had almost too much cushion. I’ll cut back on the Cremo (small pea, not an almond) and the water next time. Thanks, @sharktown! The Cremo went from ‘tolerated’ to ‘welcome’ in my den.

Top Bottom