What's new

Yet Another New Guy

I have been lurking for a while here and at other forums for quite a while. I decided to take the plunge kind of out of the blue. I have been shaving for many years with carts, disposables and electrics. My usual was to shave with a cart, M3 power and then some off brand five blade thing to fill whatever razor handle it was I had ,at the beginning of the week and using the electric the rest of the week. I did not shave on my days off from work unless there was some type of an event. My goal was to get in and out of the shave as quickly as possible because I hated every moment of it. I have never had problems with ingrowns or bumps really, but I would get quite a bit of burn on my neck and under my chin if the cart wasn't pretty new. The electric just tore me up if I tried to get close so I didn't really.

So I got to reading about this whole wet shaving business. I liked what I read so I went to eBay. I hadn't really ever used eBay so I was a bit unclear on the process. As a result I now own a 40's Gillette Super Speed ('47 apparently as there are no notches in the middle bar). a '57 SS flare tip and a Schick Krona. Meanwhile A Gillette Tech and a travel Tech are on their way to me.

I practiced wet shaving using cart, along with Bigalow menthol cream and a makeup brush that was suggested in one of the threads. I have to say the cart did not work well with the lather (kept getting clogged) and I was making a pretty terrible lather.

Finally the SS got here. After washing a bit of the gunk off, I filled it with a Shark Super Chrome and got down to business.

The First Shave
I suppose "abomination" is too strong a word to use here, lets just say it didn't go that well. I had switched to TOBS Avocado cream which made a pretty good lather. I discovered that unless I concentrated on each stroke of the blade like a cat waiting for a laser dot to move, I would forget and put pressure on it and nick myself, or feel the blade too much I guess. Blade angle was a constant concern. Im pretty sure I had it wrong more than I had it right. I ended up with a crappy shave, a couple of nicks and some razor irritation on my neck and under the chin. This seemed pretty familiar territory. I have to say I was a bit despondent.

The next day, it was with more than a little trepidation that I approached the sink. Maybe I just wasn't cut out for this, maybe I was just a guy who would either have to grow a giant beard, or be miserable for the rest of my life.

This time, I had too much water in the mix so I added a bit more soap, BOOM, like magic, crazy lather. I lathered up the grill and went to town. This time, blade angle seemed a bit more achievable, everything really seemed a bit more easily done. After two passes, one wtg and one atg and a little xtg under the chin, and a little clean up, I ended up with a pretty damned good shave. one nick (or weeper, I don't really know what the difference is) on the adams apple and a tiny bit of irritation that the AS took away immediately and I was on my way to work with a good shave and a positive outlook.

two shaves in and I am hooked. A couple of questions though (if anyone is still reading this over long post)

What do I even do with the area under my nose? It's just a nest of vipers that I have no idea how to tame.

How do others deal with the maelstrom of swirling hair under the chin and on the neck? This seems to be the number one thing that had tortured me over my shaving career.

Cheers,

Ed

Last edited:
Yet another " Welcome to B&B"! If it is already catching on at shave two, it should continue to get better.

Welcome to B&B !
Under the nose -- just N+S while curling the lip over your teeth.
Under the chin etc -- gently N+S until you have mapped and become familiar with the hair growth and shaving there.

Welcome. The chin area is usually a tougher area to deal with and some "blade buffing" is required, for me anyway. In the neck area you need to present a flat area by moving the head about and some skin stretching, but not too much. You may also have to do some "J hooking" . These techniques are cover by mantics59 in his youtube videos. I found them very helpful guides.

Welcome to B&B.

The first step you should take is to map the grain of your beard so you can see which way your beard grows so you can adjust your passes according. The wiki has a section showing this. You can find it here by going down to the section on passes.

As Invicta said in his post above, many find it useful to use J hooking or blade buffing. However, these are advanced techniques and must be used with care. Blade buffing is repeated, rapid passes over the same area. However, use VERY light pressure when doing this or you risk irritation. Also, since you are shaving an area that will have no lather on it, be sure your skin is wet. J hooking is using a shaving stroke just like the bottom of the letter J. You take the razor and can gently rotate it on your skin like the letter J. You can also do it like the letter J backwards or upside down. I have found J hooking useful on certain parts of my neck where my beard grows in swirls.

Third shave finally, I used the same Shark Super Chrome blade, it seems sharp enough still and seems to get smoother after the first shave, perhaps my technique was just that bad on the first attempt. Thanks to Johnh's advice the mustache area seems to be working out just fine. The videos were helpful too, a lot of information to take in all at once. I think I'm going to pass on blade buffing and the like for the time being.

I was going to ditch the shark for a new one but I ordered a blade sampler from Bullgoose which should be here tomorrow. (Great customer service from Phil BTW)

This time I did what amounted to a two and a half pass shave. One N to S basically, the next one from the ear to the mouth on both sides (don't know what you call that) and the thirds was mostly my neck and chin, which are still problem areas. A very slow and deliberate atg pass gave me a fairly close shave with no cuts (or weepers or whatever) for the first time. I do have quite a bit of razor burn going on. I knew that was likely to happen and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I don't know that I will do the atg pass all the time but it is nice to finally have a clean neck.

Thanks again for all the support and advice.

4th shave today with the Shark SC and TOBS Avocado cream. I lathered for about 30 seconds longer than I normally do and ended up with a gorgeous bowl of lather. Like a meringue with decidedly stiff peaks. I am given to believe this is a bit stiffer than it should have been, but it looked so lovely that I felt it would be un-gentlemanly not to use it. Three passes WTG, XTG and a complete third pass ATG, very slowly and deliberately. The blade angle thing is becoming a bit more natural thankfully. I tried ATG on the mustache area for the first time and was rewarded with a small cut/nick/weeper/whatever and a perfectly smooth lip. all in all this was the best shave, I believe, I have ever given myself (I have had BBS barber shaves, but none self inflicted). I cant call this shave BBS as the area under my chin still bedevils me to some degree, just a bit of roughness there this time. I would put it solidly in the DFS camp and I was very satisfied all around. I slapped on the Nivea ASB and was off to work.

There is something to a relaxing, close, DE shave that puts a spring in my step. It sounds ridiculous even writing it, but it is much easier to face the day after such an uplifting experience. I am well and truly hooked.

I am strongly considering staying with the Shark after the excellent performance today, but I knew my blade sampler should be here today. The Shark seemed to be pulling just a touch, perhaps due to overmixing the lather, but one can't argue with results.

I returned from work to discover my blade sampler had indeed arrived. Much thanks to Phil at Bullgoose for his fast and excellent service. I also received a blade bank and a package of Gillette blacks from West Coast Shaving, who also showed excellent service and a fast turnaround. I was able to resist swimming through all my new blades, Scrooge McDuck like, only because of the likelihood of severe injury. I should give the Shark one more day but I don't think I can resist the siren call of new blades.

In the inimitable words of American Poet Laureate Ice Cube, "Today was a good day."

Last edited:
Top Bottom