What's new

Yates Razor

So I have question is the Yates 921-M, and Yates Your Build Own basically the same Razor basically with exception of Choice of Metal, Handle Lengths??

OK I'll chime in, this is for @Chaucer
If you're looking for an open comb that has the smooth rounded teeth like the FOCS, you're only gonna get it with a Timeless open comb. I'm not aware of any other razors that have those super rounded teeth. The Timeless has the smoothest roundest teeth possible. So much so that it feels like you're shaving with a safety bar razor.
Right now I've been using more and more OC's and liking them more than most SB's. I don't know you're shaving angle but that makes a difference. I'm a shallow shaver which means that I'm not affected by the teeth design.
Regardless, I am aware that some are smoother than others. But again, it doesn't bother me!
From the OC's I currently have and use, from smoothest "teeth" to least, this is my list. Remember, this is my list and you're tastes might be totally different (this is strictly judging the teeth and not the performance of the razors):

#1 Timeless Open Comb (rounded teeth)
#2 Fatip FOCS (rounded teeth)
#3 Karve Open Comb (squared off teeth)
#4 Yates Open Comb (sort of rounded teeth)
#5 Pearl Flexi adjustable Open Comb (sort of rounded teeth)
#6 Tatara Open Comb (pointy teeth)
#7 Above the Tie Windsor Open Comb (pointy teeth)
#8 Ikon Short Comb (pointy teeth)

Hope this helps!
Wow! That’s really helpful, LRod. Many thanks.

So I have question is the Yates 921-M, and Yates Your Build Own basically the same Razor basically with exception of Choice of Metal, Handle Lengths??

Yep. The standard razor only comes with the scalloped baseplate and long, skinny handle. The BYOR offers more selection in baseplate design and handles.

20240109_075307.jpeg

Wonderful debut shave with the YPM 921-H on a 3.75" handle. 🤩👏

(PS:
If there's a more specific thread re: Model 921 pls point me to it, but I guess this thread is all about the Model 921.)

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I have a yates 921 for some times and I noticed that when I screw the handle on the head with a blade inside, it compress the blade and at the same time the blade make a particular noise (maybe because the blade bends?). Anyone else experience this noise? I wonder if it is normal.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have a yates 921 for some times and I noticed that when I screw the handle on the head with a blade inside, it compress the blade and at the same time the blade make a particular noise (maybe because the blade bends?). Anyone else experience this noise? I wonder if it is normal.
You already got answered, but you would be amazed or freak out if you hear the noises of a Superslant or Wunderbar stiffening and bending the blade inside the torqued head...! :)

Hello,

Has anyone here compared the stainless steel and the titanium models? Apparently a lot of people are saying that the blackbird titanium has a different feeling, less agressive, than the stainless steel one. I am wondering if a similar effect exist for the yates 921?

Thank you!

I finally placed an order for a Yates.

921 Ti machined finish with matching Stubby 3.25 handle and Brass EH Scalloped plate for just a touch of added bling. I had to pick and choose from all the custom options since the stubby choice doesn't appear under the BYOR menu.

The wait begins.

Hello,

Has anyone here compared the stainless steel and the titanium models? Apparently a lot of people are saying that the blackbird titanium has a different feeling, less agressive, than the stainless steel one. I am wondering if a similar effect exist for the yates 921?

Thank you!
I have both. The only real difference between the SS and Ti is the weight and they feel slightly different on the skin while shaving. Like the Blackbird, I prefer the Ti version for both razors.

@JAHE how long did you wait for Yates 921? I ordered 921-H in Ti with Stubby handle on Feb 3rd, and still shows my order as in Queue (after 18 days..)

Top Bottom