What's new

Yates 921: Any Usage Updates After a Year?

It's been a year or so since the new wave of enthusiasm over Yates Precision Engineering 921 Razor occurred. Here and elsewhere, the razor was generally acclaimed as a very efficient tool, liked by many shavers.

I'm interested to know whether or not this razor has continued to please its users now that the "honeymoon" has ended. If not, why not? What has supplanted it in your razor arsenal? What blades worked best, or worst, with the 921?

Thanks for responding! Shave on!

It's been a year or so since the new wave of enthusiasm over Yates Precision Engineering 921 Razor occurred. Here and elsewhere, the razor was generally acclaimed as a very efficient tool, liked by many shavers.

I'm interested to know whether or not this razor has continued to please its users now that the "honeymoon" has ended. If not, why not? What has supplanted it in your razor arsenal? What blades worked best, or worst, with the 921?

Thanks for responding! Shave on!
My favorite razor. I use the H plate and have been getting the best daily shaves of any razor I own. It’s smooth and efficient without being harsh on my skin.

Highly recommend.

The Yates is fantastic and my favorite. I like the M plate the best. I also have a Henson TI22 medium which is a great razor also but I would totally trade it for another Yates if the opportunity arose.

I got my Yates with the EH plate and frankly it is still one of the highest rated razors in my collection. Very efficient and capable razor. My only gripe against it is that the handle is too skinny. But I swapped it with a Charcoal goods, and it has been serving me well since. The shave on it is absolutely brilliant and despite being an EH, it's not at all intimidating or aggressive.

Very nice Razor, Plate H 👌👍

IMG_20220324_155530.jpg

I got my Yates with the EH plate and frankly it is still one of the highest rated razors in my collection. Very efficient and capable razor. My only gripe against it is that the handle is too skinny. But I swapped it with a Charcoal goods, and it has been serving me well since. The shave on it is absolutely brilliant and despite being an EH, it's not at all intimidating or aggressive.
Yates has a shorter, fatter handle you can buy. I haven't tried it yet, but could be an option for you if you like having a matching razor.

Jacob, do you happen to have the M plate as well? I love it but am curious about the H plate. It would be interesting to hear how different they are, especially in blade feel. Thx!
For me, the H plate is just as "safe" feeling as the M, with an increase in efficiency and maybe a touch more blade feel. Not menacing or threatening at all. The EH provides noticeably more feel; it is the plate I use the least. For me, I like M on the face and H on the dome.

Incidentally, Jake Yates has noted that the "M" plate stands for "Medium," not "Mild."

For me, the H plate is just as "safe" feeling as the M, with an increase in efficiency and maybe a touch more blade feel.
Thanks. I was or am kind of hesitant, the gap size is quite alot bigger. And the M is perfect or so nearly perfect already...

Too bad I didn't notice the European shop had the other plates, could have saved me 12 euro's in shipping.

I like the H plate a lot (purchased a Ti version after owning a few SS). May go for a M plate later. Much improved handle in the BYOR (larger diameter).

I think a MH plate would do well (.8-.89 gap with blade exposure of the H).

Thanks. I was or am kind of hesitant, the gap size is quite alot bigger. And the M is perfect or so nearly perfect already...

Too bad I didn't notice the European shop had the other plates, could have saved me 12 euro's in shipping.
It is still a bargain in SS, except the Euro is par with the Dollar

Jacob, do you happen to have the M plate as well? I love it but am curious about the H plate. It would be interesting to hear how different they are, especially in blade feel. Thx!
Unfortunately, I do not have the M plate, someone described his feelings about the differences in the plates somewhere on the forum, but I do not remember where 🤔

Yes, I ordered my 921-M from Anticatura.
And...I just now ordered the H plate as well. What I was trying to say is that it's a pitty I didn't notice Anticatura had the H-plates when I bought the 921-M.
Now I have to pay shipping twice...all on me obviously - I'm as chaotic and impulsive as they come.

And...I just now ordered the H plate as well. What I was trying to say is that it's a pitty I didn't notice Anticatura had the H-plates when I bought the 921-M.
Now I have to pay shipping twice...all on me obviously - I'm as chaotic and impulsive as they come.
You will like the H plate if the M does a good job for you. I find the H feels almost exactly like the M plate, but with more efficiency. It's a great combo and one of my favorites.

Don't forget to share your thoughts on the H plate when you get your hands on it :D

Top Bottom