What's new

Yaqi Stainless Steel Mellon head | Details | Review (after seven shaves)

I just loved the shiny (mirror polished) look, so the “buy it now” button got pressed before I’d given it any serious thought. :letterk1:

On arrival I decided that I’d use it with my octagonal olive wood handle and my (current) favorite blade (the Gillette 7o’clock Black):
Yaqi-SS-Mellon-OOW-3of4_2023-05-30.jpg

A couple more pics:
Yaqi-SS-Mellon-OOW-1of4_2023-05-30.jpg

Yaqi-SS-Mellon-OOW-2of4_2023-05-30.jpg

HERE’S THE MEASUREMENTS (for the geeks out there :wink2:):
1686264230613.png

Here’s a (not too brilliant) pic showing that the blade has positive exposure:
Yaqi-SS-Mellon-OOW_Blade-Exposure_2023-06-08.jpg

I didn’t get the blade edge precisely in line, so the black line you see is the underside of the blade and the white line above it is the blade edge. (I hope that makes sense.)

SO HOW DOES IT PERFORM?

Here’s a pic of the seventh shave (today):
SOTD_YAQI-SS-Mellon-OOW_W_2023-06-08.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Wee Scot 13/39
Soap: Clubman
Razor: Yaqi SS Mellon OOW [Octagonal Olive Wood handle]
Blade: Gillette 7o’clock Black (4)
ASL: Clubman Classic Vanilla

For the record (assuming that you don’t already know), I’m a steep angle shaver (and lifelong SASA member :cornut:). I have coarse, thick, and fast growing whiskers which grow out parallel to my skin.

The first shave was good. Consecutive shaves improved each time, and today’s seventh shave was simply excellent (BBS each time BTW).

For me it wasn’t one of those magical first shave razors; but I found it easy to use and adapted to it quickly.

It’s also the SHINIEST razor that I own! :001_wub:

Happy shaves all y’all. :cornut:

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Nice review Cal on the Yaqi dual comb razor!
I have the 2nd generation Yaqi Mellon SS head or V2 variant also and it performs very well. The audio feedback is excellent, shaved today with a fresh Perma-sharp and it kind of gives a sizzling feedback of the whiskers being snipped. I can crank out decent shaves consistently and glade I took the chance on purchasing one. I also have the 1st generation Yaqi Mellon head(Zamac) and it is a little milder than the Mellon Stainless steel V2 variant and also very enjoyable.
Yaqi did good job on the Stainless steel for machining accuracy and finish QC IMO.
The Mellon stainless model does not retain as much water after rinsing as the V1 model I noticed when bringing it to the face to start a stroke (self lubricating or rejuvenating the lather) is the intended reason for the combed cap to capture some water.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Oh my, I was just thinking about the "Mellon" aka "Razorock SLOC in steel" head, but as I got the Yaqi Ultima (The Final Cut, SS version) and the Yaqi Harlequin (apparently a steel clone of the Gillette Goodwill) recently, this one once again took the backseat.

But it is on my mind. And was on my mind. I will get it sooner or later.

I also habitually shave steep, that's why some excellent razors that favor a shallow angle aren't my favorites. It's a little bit like doing something left handed when one is used to going steep to very steep, but I can adapt.

I read the Mellon is not aggressive but rather mild, that held be back so far. But hehe, I will get it rather soon than later. It looks appealing for sure, this "open" cap. The idea of self-lubrication also sounds interesting to me.

lasta

Blade Biter
Fellow shiny shiny lover checking in!

This is the single shiniest razor I have ever seen, all those extra facets from the OC cap really does impart an almost diamond-like brilliance to it.

I'm on a hunt for something really nice, but one look at the Mellon makes me loose all interest.

$40 razor this shiny? Come on!

1686330740898.png

Oh my, I was just thinking about the "Mellon" aka "Razorock SLOC in steel" head, but as I got the Yaqi Ultima (The Final Cut, SS version) and the Yaqi Harlequin (apparently a steel clone of the Gillette Goodwill) recently, this one once again took the backseat.

But it is on my mind. And was on my mind. I will get it sooner or later.

I also habitually shave steep, that's why some excellent razors that favor a shallow angle aren't my favorites. It's a little bit like doing something left handed when one is used to going steep to very steep, but I can adapt.

I read the Mellon is not aggressive but rather mild, that held be back so far. But hehe, I will get it rather soon than later. It looks appealing for sure, this "open" cap. The idea of self-lubrication also sounds interesting to me.
My face agrees with the Italian Barber aggressiveness scale regarding other razors I use. If I interpolate all that, I can conclude the SS Mellon is more aggressive than the RR zamak SLOC.

My SS Mellon developed a few very small black lines on the unpolished side of the top cap. They don't wipe off, so I'm assuming it's something to do with the steel itself and the water and soap I use. It's not an issue, but I did notice it when I changed blades.

I used a Yaqi Mellon stainless steel razor for the first time today. It's a very good razor, and one that has truly gotten my attention. I got a BBS first shave with the Mellon. It's more efficient than other razors I consider mild. There is definitely blade feel, which is good and, along with good audible feedback, finding the correct working angle for the razor is easy. I would say the Mellon is mid-level aggressive, but easily manageable.

I'm impressed by the quality, appearance and performance of this razor. It has immediately relegated several top razors in my collection down a notch. The Mellon does a marvelous job of giving a clean shave on the neck area. For all the efficiency of this razor, I'm very impressed by the post shave feel of the skin; smooth and relaxed, no "heat'.

I'm about to score another Yaqi Mellon razor head while Yaqi has them on sale. It's so good, I want a spare!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I wonder which head was the origin of the Mellon head. Or did Yaqi take another head and take the OC cap design of the SLOC? Jay21 has impressively shown that both heads are very different, shattering my idea that it is a straight copy of the SLOC.

lasta

Blade Biter
I wonder which head was the origin of the Mellon head. Or did Yaqi take another head and take the OC cap design of the SLOC? Jay21 has impressively shown that both heads are very different, shattering my idea that it is a straight copy of the SLOC.
@Ron R pointed out that they are both based on the Grand Shave King.

Ron R

DE SOTD, June 13th, Tuesday, 2023

Razor : Yaqi V2 Mellon head SS polished with a Tear drop handle.
Blade : Gillette Perma sharp(2)
Soap : TOBS Herbal sandal wood
Brush : Yaqi Red Zebra 24mm
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ogallala Bayrum & Sandal wood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2) 1 10.545 1.jpg CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi V2 Mellon head SS with a Gillette Perma-sharp blade.
SOTD May June 13 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Tuesday, June 20th 2023

Razor : Yaqi Mellon head 316 SS 2nd Generation or V2 with a polished SS "Teardrop" handle- Mfg 2023, tame mid to mid range, excellent machining and finish QC is adequate for my shaving needs. This dual comb is a nice razor with the old concept from the "Grande Shave King" razor idea. The idea is to rinse more often by trapping water in the Dual combs when bringing it to beard area by rejuvenating the lather to make it slicker. It does work, V1 model (Zamac) works slightly better for self lubricating because it seems to trap a little more water IMO. Regardless the razor works very well and is permently in my rotation. The audio feed back is very enjoyable I find(Sizzling sound). Had a close comfortable shave this morning with no issues.
Blade : Personna red(1) sharp & smooth with great longevity.
Soap : Razorock XXX, nice unique clean scent with excellent lather qualities. On 3rd tub!
Brush : Yaqi "Red Zebra" 26mm snow Leopard knot, Excellent lather generator, heavenly luxury cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lathe painter. This 26mm brush is one of my favorites, ticks all the boxes for my shaving needs.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)2 template 10.1.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:Excellent shave & no issues with my Yaqi Mellon V2 316 SS with a Personna red blade.
SOTD May June 20 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom