What's new

Yaqi "SLOPE" 316 stainless steel slant razor head."Torsion Type"

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Slantemper, Wednesday, 2023

Razor : Yaqi SLOPE torsional slant 316 SS with a Yaqi coated Brass handle, Mfg 2023>, mild to tame mid range. Well designed + accurate machining & finished is adequate for my shaving needs. Had a close shave this morning.
Blade : #1 GSB 1.1.jpg (4), sharp and smoooth with reasonable longevity. Top tier blade for myself.
Soap : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore, nice mild tobacco & vanilla scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi "Aqua" 24mm high mountain 3band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips with some light prickleyness when new but has come around nicely, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)4 template 9.2.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 2 tiny chin weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi slope slant with a GSB blade.
SOTD September 20 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

SLANTemper, Wednesday, September 27th 2023

Razor : Yaqi SLOPE slant 316 SS torsional type with a coated chrome matte Yaqi brass handle- Mfg 2023>, mild to tame mid range depending on blades used, Yaqi uses a sloped safety bar to keep a similar blade gap under torsion to Mfg a unique torsional slant that is very rare to find IMO. Had a comfortable close shave this morning.
Blade : Kai extra wide, sharp and smooth with excellent longevity. Top tier blade in my collection.
Soap : Cyril R Salter Wild Rose cream, nice scent of roses that is 6/10 strength. Nice soap for a change up going into fall.
Brush : Yaqi "Bali" 24mm 3band silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, luxury pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber, great lather painter. Very nice large bloom in this brush that can be a slight lather hog but worthy of great performance has been my experiences.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : witch hazel beard cleanse + Neiva refreshing splash + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :1-10 dial - Copy (2)3 template 9.5.1.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi SLOPE torsional slant with a Kai SS extra wide(great pairing of razor + blade for myself).
SOTD September 27 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

Sunday shave, November 5th 2023

Razor : Yaqi SLOPE 316 SS Torsion slant razor - Mfg 2023>, mild to tame mid range depending on blade. Interesting design with a sloping safety bar with a torsion twist on the blade making it a genuine slant IMO. Had a great shave this morning.
Blade : Kai SS extra wide(7) sharp and smooth with excellent longevity.
Soap : TOBS Sandal wood, nice herbal scented Sandal wood, 6-7/10 strength with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi " Orbital ring" 24mm boar bristle hair. Excellent lather generator, nice splay scrubber, soft split end tips + great lather painter.
Post shave : Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood + a dollop of Geo F Trumper skin food.
Results :1-10 dial - Copy (2)3 template 9.5.1.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Slope slant with a Kai SS extra wide blade.
SOTD November 5 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Maybe you SLANT Owner might chime in in look at your images of SLANT RAZOR HEAD are my eye playing tricks. Appears if Razon head was on FLAT SURFACE. ONE side of top would be high than other, thus name SLANT.
I'm not sure this razor is has enough slant for slant junkies that have already tried the most extreme ones.

Ron R

I'm not sure this razor is has enough slant for slant junkies that have already tried the most extreme ones.
The slope has a machined base that torques the blade like a majority of slant razors do and it has about a 2 degrees slant on the safety bar to match the torqued blade.

My two cents - I really like mine. It shaves efficiently, is friendly/feels unlikely to nick, and has really good blade rigidity (which my ATT S1 does not). I don't have enough shaves to really tell if there is a difference between the Slope and the ATT S1; I think the Slope is friendlier while still being efficient (and I prefer the Slope, although that could also be "new toy syndrome"!).

It would be a great starter slant as well.

I, too, wish that they had a mirror polished option. And a scalloped cap. Or a slanted scalloped cap!

Yaqi does need a wider variety of decent handles; they should make a copy of the Tech fat handle in stainless.

Ron R

How many slants does yaqi make now?
They offer 2 different models, their first model was the Yaqi top Aggressive slant model, lots of blade feel.
Second model is the Slope 316SS slant that was introduced in 2023 and it is a nice mild to tame mid range razor.
I still use both Yaqi slant razors and the Slope slant is more to most folks liking IMO where the Yaqi Top aggressive slant model you have to have some experience or it will bite, it depends on what a person wants.
(Old archived photo of a Yaqi top aggressive slant below.)

Yaqi top aggressive slant razor Mfg 2019.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Thursday, November 16th 2023

Razor : Yaqi SLOPE 316SS slant- Mfg 2023>, mild to tame mid range depending on blade. Interesting design with Sloped safety bar+ excellent machining and finish is adequate for my shaving needs. I enjoy using this razor and it delivers nice shaves. Had a close comfortable shave this morning with not issues.
Blade : Kai SS extra wide- Sharp and smooth with excellent longevity. Top tier of 6.
Soap : Gillette Pure cream, nice mild clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi " Sagrada Familia" 24mm tuxedo knot. Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Post shave : Fine fresh Vetiver:001_wub: with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi SLOPE slant 316SS with a Kai SS extra wide.
SOTD November 16 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, December 12th 2023

Razor : Yaqi SLOPE 316SS slant head with a Yaqi brass nickel handle- Mfg 2023> nice milder slant, use a Kai SS to bump it to a tame mid range like I do. Machining and finish OK for my shaving needs. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai SS extra wide blade (2) sharp and smooth with excellent longevity.
Soap : Razorock The dead sea- nice unique bright clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Goblin" 24 mm synthetic. Excellent lather generator, luxury cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Post shave : Razorock The Dead Sea splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi SLOPE slant with a Kai extra wide blade.
SOTD December 12 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I received my Yaqi "Slope/Hang/you name it" slanted razor head last week.

The initial good impression (solid workmanship, standard finish, flawlessly executed) was clouded by what felt like very unpleasant sharp corners on the baseplate. IIRC this is what @Ron R also noticed.

I rounded the corners of the baseplate with fine grit sandpaper, it took me 10 minutes of elbow grease, no big deal, but come on Yaqi, you can do better than that...

After treating the corners, the corners felt smooth and are no longer sharp.

The debut shave will take place soon...

Ron R

The machining is impressive and top cap would of been a challenge for any top notch machinist or CNC programmer to create it from my experience as a machinist who worked making parts of all sorts & as a maintenance machinist in oil and gas, Pulp and paper and a jobbing shop also.
The finish is adequate for shaving but any sharp corners I stoned them slightly so not to nick myself(use your discretion) with my half asleep strokes in the morning shave routine.

This is what I noticed also, they did every thing great but to knock off sharp corners, everyone is different but to me take a few minutes and just round the corners a little. Here is from post #1 I mentioned also I just stoned any sharp corners my self, Yaqi sells them cheap enough but there must be a reason because folks give them issues possibly, who knows!
⛄Merry Christmas and a Happy New year- to all!☃️:sorcerer:

20231222_122153-01-01-01.jpeg

Very nice first outing with this razor head. I decided to load a PermaSharp blade, one of my go to blades for "middle of the road" sort of razors. At least that's what I expected the Yaqi Slope to be according to Ron's description. 👍

It turned out to be a good choice (and Ron is right with his accessment). I had a comfy and effortless shave. The head glided smoothly over my face and neck and after my regular routine of two passes with some touchups I was close to a BBS result.

20231222_122124-01.jpeg

There's a very enjoyable amount of blade feel, but no harshness. I didn't notice any blade chatter, that's another plus. My impression is the Slope won't bite out of the nothing as long as no user error is involved.

A full third pass would have sealed the BBS deal with ease. But since I face lathered a still not fully broken in boar brush today I decided to call it a day, instead of risking skin irritation due to brush burn...

FWIW, the shave of the Yaqi Slope very much reminded me of the shaves I get with my RR German 37. I'll have to do a side by side shave with these two razors to establish this impression, but it appears I finally might have found a SS sibbling of my beloved G37. 😎👍👍👍

Overall, I very satisfying shave.

Cheers!

@Halfbeard
Sorry for possibly pointing you to this corner issue. I'm glad you were able to solve the "problem" as easily as Ron and I did.

Ron R

DE SOTD, January 16th 2024

Razor : Yaqi SLOPE 316SS slant with a Yaqi Nickel coated brass handle- Mfg 2023>mild to tame mid range depending on blade used. Excellent machining and finish is adequate for my shaving needs. Interesting design of sloped safety bar with torsional blade clamping all in one. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai SS extra wide(5) sharp and smooth. Great blade for milder razor IMO.
Soap : Razorock Irish country side- nice mild scented fresh scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Rainbow" 26mm brown whiskers. Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Post shave :Razorock Irish countryside with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi SLOPE 316SS with a Kai SS extra wide blade.
5SOTD Januray 16 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I gave my Slope its maiden voyage and I was pleasantly surprised. I've never used a slant before. It was very comfortable during the shave, the clamping/rigidity must be pretty good, I didn't notice a bit of chatter. It was even good ATG. They could have milled out some of the underside of the baseplate to make it lighter, but I didn't notice the weight. I used it with a Ti Crown handle, which worked well for me.

I ended up with very nice shave and only a bit of warmth from alcohol astringent, so it is pretty gentle too. I had two pinprick weepers, but that is not unusual for me and is quite good for a first outing with a new razor. For the price, so far this seems like this razor has good potential. It is quite interesting, solid stainless and I don't think there is another head quite like it. Good for Yaqi for designing something new.

Ron R

DE SOTD, February 6th 2024

Razor : Yaqi SLOPE slant head with a Yaqi brass nickel coated handle- Mfg 2023> mild to tame mid range depending on blade used. This is a well built razor head of 316 stainless steel. I enjoy using it and when using the Kai SS extra wide blade it performs very well if a person likes a little blade feel. Regular Gillette blade gives a nice shave more on the milder side IMO. Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai SS (7) sharp and smooth with excellent longevity. Great blade for improving mild razors that need some blade feel IMO.
Soap : TOBS Herbal Sandalwood, very nice fragrance with 7-8/10 scent strength + excellent lather qualities. A must for shaving with a brush IMO.
Brush : Yaqi "Moka Express" 26 mm synthetic. Excellent lather generator, heavenly luxury cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Very rare brush Yaqi must of was testing the market last year. Lucky me!
Post shave : Ogallala Bayrum Sandalwood + a dollop of Geo F Trumper Sandalwood skin food(Sandalwood +nice mild plum scent to me or apricot???).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Slope razor with a Kai SS extra wide blade. ( It does not get any better shaving for myself, cotton ball tested also.)
SOTD Febuaruy 6 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Hi all!

I like Yaqi Slope with Gillette Silver Blue. But i have not efficiency...

Can you recommend more aggressive blades (Not Kai)?

Top Bottom