What's new

Yaqi "SLOPE" 316 stainless steel slant razor head."Torsion Type"

Maybe you SLANT Owner might chime in in look at your images of SLANT RAZOR HEAD are my eye playing tricks. Appears if Razon head was on FLAT SURFACE. ONE side of top would be high than other, thus name SLANT.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Maybe you SLANT Owner might chime in in look at your images of SLANT RAZOR HEAD are my eye playing tricks. Appears if Razon head was on FLAT SURFACE. ONE side of top would be high than other, thus name SLANT.
It does look that way but it is hard to show how they machined it so I found a picture that might help you see they are not machined the same where the blade is clamped. The bottom of the base plate is machined flat that gives the impression it looks like a regular razor but it is a torsional (helical twist) where the blade is clamped. I hope this helps you see it better as a slant razor, some fellows when shopping have mentioned it looks like a regular razor but it is not!
Yaqi slant - Copy.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

DE SOTD, Tuesday, April 4th 2023

Razor : Yaqi SLOPE slant 316 SS 2nd generation Yaqi slant with a Yaqi "Chippendale" Darwin looking handle- Mfg Jan 2023>, mild to tame mid range depending on blade used, well designed + one of a kind torsional slant with the sloped safety bar. Machining and finish are adequate with great QC.
I like to use a Kai SS extra wide in this razor for just a little more blade feel. Todays shave was a excellent stellar close shave and mostly a carefree shave.
Blade : Kai extra wide blade, sharp & smooth with excellent longevity, Kai SS is 9/1000 inches or .0045 inches per side wider.
Soap : Cyril R Salter Wild Rose- interesting nice scent of Rose + excellent lather qualities, very soft texture with mid range scent, 1st use and I also really enjoyed their CRS Sandalwood herbal scented cream also so I thought I should try their rose scented soap or cream. 1st use of any Rose scented cream or soap.
Brush : Yaqi " Cavern lake" 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2) 1 10.545.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 small chin blemish weeper =:a17: Excellent stellar close shave with my Yaqi Slope slant with a Kai SS extra wide blade.
SOTD April 4 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

DE SOTD, Tuesday, April 25th 2023

Razor : Yaqi "Slope" slant 316L SS with a Yaqi brass chromed matte handle- mild to tame mid range performance depending on blade, excellent machining and finish is adequate for my shaving needs. This is a torsional type slant razor with a sloped safety bar that makes it one of a kind in design(never seen another in my limited research). It has a low profile shape for working under the nose area. I get excellent shaves with the extra wide Kai SS blade with this razor for stellar close comfortable shaves as a daily shaver. Had a carefree close shave with no issues shave this morning!
Blade : Kai SS extra wide(6) sharp and smoooth with excellent longevity. One of my favorite blades that's still Mfg in extra wide.
Soap : Razorock "Irish Countryside", nice clean unique scent with some of the best lather qualities made IMO.
Brush : Yaqi "Sagrada Familia" 22 mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. It has a small handle but it sure works well for badger brush owners who enjoy a badger brush IMO.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Razorock Irish countryside AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2) 1 10.545.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Slope slant with a extra wide Kai SS blade.
SOTD April 25 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Hello Sid, I do not find CeraVe any thinner than my other balms I have used. You are correct at guessing why I switched to CeraVe from others it is because it makes my skin feel better after a shaves, it is formulated better with the Hyaluronic acid and the other ingredients and does not leave my skin oily is the main reasons.
I used Nivea sensitive skin balm for years and it was OK and then I got on this Hyaluronic acid kick that other members where claiming about its wonders for healthy skin, so I bought a small bottle and found it really did nothing I thought and then one day I decided to try some with a dollop of my Nivea balm and it was amazing the difference in skin improvement just from a shave so was sold on that idea.( you should add Hyaluronic acid in a small percentage to main lotion.)
I knew others where using CeraVe moisturizing lotion with good results and was already using the CeraVe hand bar cleanser as a pre shave wash and it is a very good product also from 3 + years of using it.
About 2 years lather Nivea has come out with their version of the Hyaluronic version of their balm have not had a chance to use it yet, knowing Nivea they got it right so if price is decent might have to try some.
CeraVe as per cost of use is really decent and other manufactures will struggle to meet that price IMO. Hope that helps you, CeraVe is used by millions of folks from women to men & children around the world so they have earned a great name for skin moisturizing cream and other products.

Is this it? The label says "Daily" on this one, but maybe they've just updated packaging.

Ron R

Is this it? The label says "Daily" on this one, but maybe they've just updated packaging.
That is the stuff I use and you do not have to use daily, it works well has been my experiences. You are correct in new package labeling, I have not seen the Daily before on labelling.

That is the stuff I use and you do not have to use daily, it works well has been my experiences. You are correct in new package labeling, I have not seen the Daily before on labelling.
Thanks, I'll pick some up. I'm always on the lookout for ways to improve post-shave. My skin is of average sensitivity, but an OCD-like insistence on BBS with every shave and a need to experiment with new products (instead of sticking to a razor/blade combo that I know is low-irritation for me) frequently lead to irritation on my neck.

Ron R

DE SOTD, May 4th 2023

Razor : Yaqi SLOPE slant 316SS with a Yaqi brass matte chromed handle- Mfg 2023>, mild range, it is well built and designed for comfort shaving. I have 4 slants and this one is the mildest or smoothest of them all. I like to shave with a Kai SS extra wide blade for a little more blade feel. Had a comfortable carefree close shave this morning.
Blade : Kai SS extra wide(7), sharp & smooth with excellent longevity.
Soap : Razorock Lavender, nice masculine scent of lavender + excellent lather qualities. On 3rd tub of this obsoleted soap.
Brush : Yaqi "Bali" 24mm (3band)silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, luxury pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Post shave : Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)3 template 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi Slope slant with a Kai SS extra wide blade.
SOTD May 4 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

DE SOTD, Tuesday, May 16th 2023

Razor : Yaqi Slope slant 316 SS torsional type, Mfg 2023>, mild range to tame mid range depending on blade used. Accurate machining and finish QC. I find this razor works well with a Kai SS extra wide blade for myself. Had a great comfortable shave with no issues.
Blade : Kai SS extra wide(10) sharp and smoooth with excellent longevity. Interesting blade because there are no other extra wide blades manufactured anymore other than Kai SS and it gives a excellent shave IMO. Great for mild razors!
Soap : Razorock XXX Fresco, slightly mentholated with that nice XXX clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi" Artic sky" 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Post shave : Razorock XXX Fresco with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)2 template 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Slope slant with a Kai extra wide blade. Great shave considering I had a very close shave yesterday & a blade on 10 uses!
SOTD May 16 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I just caught up with the Yaqi Slope thanks to a @Ron R SOTD post.

This approach to giving a torsion/helical twist to a slant's blade was originated, to the best of my knowledge, by Stan of Above the Tie. The S1 and S2 are machined this way.

With ATT shutting down, I like that this torsion slant design is continuing on.

Ron R

I just caught up with the Yaqi Slope thanks to a @Ron R SOTD post.

This approach to giving a torsion/helical twist to a slant's blade was originated, to the best of my knowledge, by Stan of Above the Tie. The S1 and S2 are machined this way.

With ATT shutting down, I like that this torsion slant design is continuing on.
They might look similar but they are slightly different, ATT S1 has a scalloped bar and the safety bar is not as slanted + there is a lot of blade clamp over hang underneath the top cap on the S1. ATT came out with their S1 around 2016 and the S2 is a open comb slant razor that is very interesting.
The Yaqi slope is completely flat on the bottom plate and the clamping of the blade is a lot different but the concept is similar. The ATT razor was $185 US back in 2016 so pricing is a whole lot different also. The ATT S1 & S2 slant are the only razors that even come close to maybe looking similar the Yaqi slope IMO. The ATT S1 also has blade tab over hang if that matters to some one.
(L) ATT S1 Slant razor.......................(R)Yaqi Slope slant ....................................Clamping of blade is more rigid!
ATT S1 slant razor. 2016 (2).jpg Yaqi slant razor.jpg Yaqi 316 slant base plate 4, 2023 (2).jpg

(below) ATT S2 OC slant, the shave is not a smooth as the ATT S1 from my limited research understanding, some fellows enjoy the S2 shave regardless of the OC. It is hard to find photo's on the ATT slant razors on B&B or anywhere.
ATT S2 razor (2).jpeg

Have some great shaves!

My S2 is engraved '2014'.

Here is a picture I posted pre-pandemic contrasting the ATT S2 to their H2 OC. Both plates are flat on the bottom. The S2 cap is milled to slant and the baseplate teeth are milled on a matching slant as seen in the photo in Ron's post above.

The bevel on the raised center of the S2 does not extend as far out towards the edge as the Yaqi Slope's. As noted, the ATT blades are not as firmly clamped near the edge as recent razors tend to be. The Slope uses the same approach to twisting the blade without milling any curves in the baseplate, but extends the blade clamping based on current design consensus.

1684386307387.jpeg

Not sure what happened with ATT. Any news about why they are shutting down? Just slow sales or something else? Granted, at ~$200USD, the market is pretty thin so, that could be the problem.

lasta

Blade Biter
Not sure what happened with ATT. Any news about why they are shutting down? Just slow sales or something else? Granted, at ~$200USD, the market is pretty thin so, that could be the problem.
Well, both are CNC steel razors, but Yaqis are <1/4 the price AND often come mirror polished. Not hard to see why $200 unfinished razors are not finding acceptance.

My Yaqi slope arrived yesterday, first shave today was very promising. Need to make a run against Merkur 37 and GC .84 to get a better understanding of its merits.

The quality of the CNC machining is very good as far as I can judge. However the post CNC finish could be better. Still superior to ATT finish.

Sami

IMG_20230611_075012.jpg
IMG_20230611_074521.jpg

Ron R

At which angle to you shave with the Yaqi? It seems that it could handle a neutral as well as a steep angle.
Enjoy, when I use it I just listen to audio feedback it seems to find the sweet spot for my self every time. Use a sharp blade and just enjoy the results is all I can suggest. I usually shave steep angle(riding the bar) on a lot of DE razors it seems and just ride the bar and when you hear the whiskers being snipped see what the results are and then just try riding the cap and see what happens with those results & pick what you like the most.
Shave half your face riding the bar and other side riding the cap pick the angle you enjoy the most + results and go from there is all I can suggest!
It is a very forgiving razor I have found and I like to use the Kai SS extra wide blades and the results are great with a slight increase in blade feel.
Kai SS VS Gillette Astra SP 2.jpg

Yaqi #1 SLOPE SLANT, Camera photo 2.3.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I really enjoy those efficiency-aggression charts you make. If someone found a way to overlap all of them, we would all be buying only the right razors. I'm looking for your chart on the SS Melon, but haven't found it yet. *keeps looking.

Do you, by any chance have a graph with all of your favourites?

I also notice you're using alot of Yaqi gear, are you one of their testers or a self-purchasing looney like the rest of us? 🤪

Top Bottom