What's new

Yaqi Slant Razor

I've had my 3rd shave now with the slant all three with a Gillette Platinum Plus. I thought the blade exposure was intimidating. But the shave was a lot milder feeling than I anticipated. I used a steep angle and there was plenty of audio feedback. I've had two long lasting BBS shaves with this puppy. I'm a fan.

Got mine too yesterday.

I confirm it is indeed an agressive razor, but got one of the closest shave to date with it than any of the other I got. Will definitely continue to experience with it, as I found it better than the Superfine slant I have.

You really need to be careful with it though. I managed to cut myself a bit on the shin, and sliced a bit of finger while tightening the handle.

Don't try before your 1st coffee in the morning ;-)

Haven’t experienced more than a couple of weepers in more than 10 shaves. As far as closeness of shave goes, using longevity as the measure, this $5 head is the best I currently own (maybe with the exception of my Wunderbar). I’m a big fan.

The Yaqi Factory Store on Alibaba is shipping a replacement slant head. Great customer service. It moved forward as fast as possible given the time zone difference.

The Yaqi Store was true to their word. :thumbup1: My replacement Yaqi slant head arrived today. It looks perfect, but is queued behind JAWS and Micromatic Monday so the ultimate test is delayed. Still I am stoked by all the positive recent reports in this thread.

I gave the replacement Yaqi slant head a spin on the short Yaqi handle. The threads on the Yaqi cap were not ready for prime time, so I cleaned them up with a stainless steel handle and some camellia ‘cutting oil’. :001_rolle Now they are fine.

I used my PBOCS for comparison sake. The Yaqi qualifies as highly aggressive, as well as very efficient. I made one weeper, shaving N-S at the base of my neck, where I shifted the head angle to something suboptimal. The 1.0 mm blade gap (by my wire gauge) and positive blade exposure demand attention and respect. Both these razors torque and hold the blade quite stiffly - no chatter.

I find the ultra-wide Yaqi head with full blade tab coverage, plus flanges, a little excessive. Still, the huge blade tab exposure in the PBOCS is the more annoying design choice.
011935FB-433B-46F2-9BC4-6FB45F894DF6.jpeg

655CEE77-9A7E-4B84-89A2-D73E56F9B06B.jpeg

? are you into Olympic cycling ? or do the hairs catch on your tights ?

:em3400::em2300:
Got me... yeah really meant chin.
English isn't my 1st tongue ;-)

Apart from that, I'm toying with the idea of filing those two bars on the plate to reduce that gap a tiny bit. I find it a bit excessive for my taste. Feels I need as much attention as using a shavette.

The first time in shaving i have become completely defeated.The Yaqi slant arrived yesterday, had a shave with it this today and cut myself twice on the upper lip ,went to another slant but could not get the shave i want so got a bbs with my TI straight.I would say the Yaqi slant head is faulty ,unusable for me,to such an extent it went straight in the bin.So i am not skilled enough to use a Yaqi slant. I have no problem with shavettes straights or any any of my DE razors including the R41.Well i admit defeat.

I yesterday shaved for the first time with the yaqi slant. Yes, it's aggressive but also efficient. I actually like it more than some "normal" OC, where you feel much more the teeth.

The first time in shaving i have become completely defeated.The Yaqi slant arrived yesterday, had a shave with it this today and cut myself twice on the upper lip ,went to another slant but could not get the shave i want so got a bbs with my TI straight.I would say the Yaqi slant head is faulty ,unusable for me,to such an extent it went straight in the bin.So i am not skilled enough to use a Yaqi slant. I have no problem with shavettes straights or any any of my DE razors including the R41.Well i admit defeat.

My Yaqi slant and my Muhle R41 are both less safe than my Focus R28 shavette or any of my SRs. The Yaqi holds the blade rigidly but exposes to much of it. My R41 lets the blade move and catch. (I say “my R41” given that its cap width doesn’t match any other R41 measurements I’ve seen.)

They both have the form factor of a safety razor, just none of the safety. The R41 can be improved with the right frankencap. With the Yaqi, none of my other slant caps even match.

My Yaqi slant and my Muhle R41 are both less safe than my Focus R28 shavette or any of my SRs. The Yaqi holds the blade rigidly but exposes to much of it. My R41 lets the blade move and catch. (I say “my R41” given that its cap width doesn’t match any other R41 measurements I’ve seen.)

They both have the form factor of a safety razor, just none of the safety. The R41 can be improved with the right frankencap. With the Yaqi, none of my other slant caps even match.
I pulled the yaqi slant out of the bin,i will have another go,i do not like admitting defeat .I did make a mistake went in the wrong direction on upper lip for me.Does riding the cap help?,will try.

I pulled the yaqi slant out of the bin,i will have another go,i do not like admitting defeat .I did make a mistake went in the wrong direction on upper lip for me.Does riding the cap help?,will try.
I am glad i tried again.I did not cut myself .I missed the injured part.This razor shaves against the grain,i think because it clamps the blade so tight.You have to barely touch the skin and sort of favor the head cap.Too much concentration for everyday shaving.A straight is much easier for me.Will use again.Shaving against the grain minute increments barely touching.Probably balls it up next time.

I am glad i tried again.I did not cut myself .I missed the injured part.This razor shaves against the grain,i think because it clamps the blade so tight.You have to barely touch the skin and sort of favor the head cap.Too much concentration for everyday shaving.A straight is much easier for me.Will use again.Shaving against the grain minute increments barely touching.Probably balls it up next time.
After shaving wash the underside under the tap as well as the rest of it.

+1. This sums it up for me.
I am getting better with the Yaqi slant,i think it is the best slant i own.The reason it is so good against the grain pass is because the blade lays flat in the razor so you have the whole of the blade directly behind the edge,unlike my other slants where the blade is bowed over, so you do not have same force directly behind the edge.Anyhow slowly becoming a fan,very nice on the skin.

I am getting better with the Yaqi slant,i think it is the best slant i own.The reason it is so good against the grain pass is because the blade lays flat in the razor so you have the whole of the blade directly behind the edge,unlike my other slants where the blade is bowed over, so you do not have same force directly behind the edge.Anyhow slowly becoming a fan,very nice on the skin.
Unlike most who use a steep angle,i use the flatest,and got a sublime bbs shave as good as my straight.In the right hand the Yaqi slant is the best DE razor there is,i suppose i have to say in my opinion,but it just is.

Unlike most who use a steep angle,i use the flatest,and got a sublime bbs shave as good as my straight.In the right hand the Yaqi slant is the best DE razor there is,i suppose i have to say in my opinion,but it just is.
Obviously you have to make the angle steeper when shaving with the grain.

Top Bottom