What's new

Two New Yaqi Adjustables

Yaqi have just released two new Stainless Steel adjustables.

Ultima Open Comb and Ultima Slope (Slant)

NewYaqis.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I got the Ultima with SB and a not nearly as fancy and nice handle. It's not bad, but more a personal issue, I don't get along with adjustables somehow. Hate cleaning them, too.

The Slope in non-adjustable version absolutely didn't do it for me. When I think of slants I think of the Lo Storto/FOCS and first and foremost the Wunderbar/Superslant line, and there this slant light baseplate really doesn't compare favorably. I would love to see the handles as normal handles, though. :)

View attachment 1785263

Quite a gap difference on slope vs regular ss/oc.

Are we to believe that the Slope is Yaqi's version of the Konsul? Which would make the Sentry a copy of the regular slope (or the other way around) Did anyone happen to compare both??

Too bad they changed the handle on the open comb from the herring pattern of the newest cc ss.
So from these data the brass is the one that comes closest to the zinc alloy version?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I can't get that adjustable slope out of my head. :(
No, really not. The Slope totally disappointed me. It's a clone of ATT's price conscious approach to create something slanty with minimal machining. That's ok with me if it would have worked, but it rates very poorly in my collection, I absolutely don't recommend it. I cannot imagine that an adjustable based on this design could be better.

So from these data the brass is the one that comes closest to the zinc alloy version?
That's what I make of it.
If I'm not mistaken @GlazedBoker has both. Perhaps he can chime in.

@Iridian I remember you didn't like it. There are quite a few fans of the standard head on here though.
Subieshaves seems very enthousiastic about the none adjustable as well. But I guess he would be "psyched" about a leaf falling in autumn as well. :)

Anyways, thanks for giving me a reason not to spend money. Hopefully your whispers will block out my longing to push another buy button.

Last edited:
That's what I make of it.
If I'm not mistaken @GlazedBoker has both. Perhaps he can chime in.

@Iridian I remember you didn't like it. There are quite a few fans of the standard head on here though.
Subieshaves seems very enthousiastic about the none adjustable as well. But I guess he would be "psyched" about a leaf falling in autumn as well. :)

Anyways, thanks for giving me a reason not to spend money. Hopefully your whispers will block out my longing to push another buy button.

Yes, both the Zamak & Brass are close in shave performance but, the Brass is slightly less comfortable vs the all stainless version. The stainless Ultima is nearly as comfortable as the chromed-zamak version and still gives equal results to it as well with the slightly smaller range in gap movements that it offers. Still plenty for most all shavers.

These new offerings look interesting and I don’t blame a manufacturer for trying to get in the game of the suddenly growing segment of adjustables with different head creations and geometry designs. Overkill? Perhaps but, I’m not going to hate to be honest. Will I be picking up one of these newer versions? No, not in the least but, I will say that if Yaqi decides to offer the open comb base plate alone I’d be tempted to pick it up.

Happy shaves my friend….:straight:

Just saw a video by SubieShaves. He is a VERY BIG SUPPORTER of Yaqi. Even with all his rave comments and enthusiastic rantings about the Yaqi OC adjustable and slant, he dumps their spring and puts in a Rex spring. Even though the Yaqi is 1/2 the price of the Konsul, I would rather have the real thing. Actually, I just bought and received the Konsul. (putting money where mouth is). Quality and ingenuity count for something. IMHO.

Just saw a video by SubieShaves. He is a VERY BIG SUPPORTER of Yaqi. Even with all his rave comments and enthusiastic rantings about the Yaqi OC adjustable and slant, he dumps their spring and puts in a Rex spring. Even though the Yaqi is 1/2 the price of the Konsul, I would rather have the real thing. Actually, I just bought and received the Konsul. (putting money where mouth is). Quality and ingenuity count for something. IMHO.
intrigued I just saw this youtubers "SubieShaves" I closed the video after 10 seconds🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
But this one shaves the head, what kind of opinion can you give about the razor "shaving the head is one thing, shaving the face is another"
Fru Lol GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Even though the Yaqi is 1/2 the price of the Konsul, I would rather have the real thing. Actually, I just bought and received the Konsul. (putting money where mouth is). Quality and ingenuity count for something. IMHO.
I have had a Konsul and I had a Rex. I was absolutely in love with the Rex, so naturally wanted to try out the Konsul - but I didn't like it enough to justify it's price card, so I cashed in on it after a couple of shaves. It does look like I'm greatly outnumbered - because everyone seems to love theirs.

But I'm pretty confident that any and all Yaqi users on the forum have had little issues with the quality of their Chinese razors. Look up quality control posts on Rex's razors and follow the path of an ingenious western brand's success. It looks alot less pretty.

Lets not look down on Yaqi because they get their inspiration elsewhere or because some people prefer to use one simple part like a spring over another spring.

Instead let us appreciate that people can chose whether to spend big or little on a similarly excellent shaving experience.

I have had a Konsul and I had a Rex. I was absolutely in love with the Rex, so naturally wanted to try out the Konsul - but I didn't like it enough to justify it's price card, so I cashed in on it after a couple of shaves. It does look like I'm greatly outnumbered - because everyone seems to love theirs.

But I'm pretty confident that any and all Yaqi users on the forum have had little issues with the quality of their Chinese razors. Look up quality control posts on Rex's razors and follow the path of an ingenious western brand's success. It looks alot less pretty.

Lets not look down on Yaqi because they get their inspiration elsewhere or because some people prefer to use one simple part like a spring over another spring.

Instead let us appreciate that people can chose whether to spend big or little on a similarly excellent shaving experience.
From the Rex line my favorite is Ambassador

Top Bottom