What's new

Yaqi Sentinel

I'm surprised that there still isn't a single video or detailed comparison between the Yaqi clone and the Wolfman. Then again, who would buy the clone if he owns the real thing?
According to a post on an Italian shaving site one shaver states that it is “basically identical” to his WR2. He goes on by stating that this is excellent razor for those who want a Wolfman on a limited budget. Another guy occurs, but in that part I do not see specific reference to WR2.

Just n=1, but provides input perhaps.

Guido

According to a post on an Italian shaving site one shaver states that it is “basically identical” to his WR2. He goes on by stating that this is excellent razor for those who want a Wolfman on a limited budget. Another guy occurs, but in that part I do not see specific reference to WR2.

Just n=1, but provides input perhaps.

Guido

Sadly, with razors the only way to know for sure is when you try them by yourself. A few hours ago I've talked to a guy who owns both and according to him the Yaqi is good, but his WR2 1.15 is better in terms of efficiency and maybe smoothness as well. It's hard to tell who's saying the truth or how much does YMMV applies here, because even if both razors shave absolutely the same, given they have the same gap, I doubt that most folks will admit that a much cheaper razor can do what their very expensive one does.

The other thing might be true as well if a person had a Wolfman and didn't like it or wanted to sell it and get as much as he paid or more, since some Wolfman owners are well known for using the ''but you have to wait 10 thousand years before your name shows on the waiting list'' shenanigans to make an excuse to get their money back. And now that he owns a much cheaper razor that does the same thing, he no longer cares about the brand or whatever. People can ask as much as they want for their razors or whatever, but I just don't like when someone is using a lame excuse and silly words like ''unobtainium'' in order to finesse me and get more money from me in the process, that's not going to work on me.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine was selling his matt finish WR2 head along with a Timeless Crown handle for $165 shipped. So yeah, cheaper ones can be found, but not on Ebay.

Last edited:
Sadly, with razors the only way to know for sure is when you try them by yourself.
how much does YMMV applies here
I am still learning but I see everything in shaving as YMMV. Razors, blades, soaps - it all depends on your preference. Now that said, I do find value in similarity of reviews and feedback, and a number of my acquisitions are based on the feedback from people I hold high in regards.

The value thing might be true or not. I mean certain materials do cost more than others and machining them to perfection as well. I applaud and respect those with a WR or multiple even. I myself would have a hard time justifying not shaving with it which would imply me buying one and I do not want to.

I am purely curious or intrigued by the quality of the shave, which almost without fail is described as stellar. Which is exactly what my Ti95 already does. And my Tech. And my Fatip. And if these were indeed similar this would be a very budget friday easy of finding out.

I have to admit that from a design perspective the WR2 is stunning to look at. So I can see the background for cloning it.

As things stand right now I think a vintage Gillette or an extension to my GC2 is more likely to be next.

Guido

I am still learning but I see everything in shaving as YMMV. Razors, blades, soaps - it all depends on your preference. Now that said, I do find value in similarity of reviews and feedback, and a number of my acquisitions are based on the feedback from people I hold high in regards.

The value thing might be true or not. I mean certain materials do cost more than others and machining them to perfection as well. I applaud and respect those with a WR or multiple even. I myself would have a hard time justifying not shaving with it which would imply me buying one and I do not want to.

I am purely curious or intrigued by the quality of the shave, which almost without fail is described as stellar. Which is exactly what my Ti95 already does. And my Tech. And my Fatip. And if these were indeed similar this would be a very budget friday easy of finding out.

I have to admit that from a design perspective the WR2 is stunning to look at. So I can see the background for cloning it.

As things stand right now I think a vintage Gillette or an extension to my GC2 is more likely to be next.

Guido

Nothing wrong with using Yaqi razors or brushes. I never had any luck with their razors though. Pretty much every Chinese razor that I've had didn't impress me with anything. Their brushes, however are decent, but I there are also plenty of small artisans that make their own brushes with synthetic knots that aren't made in Asia and they are also quite affordable too.

I do agree that for the most part, if people tell you that a specific razor is either good or bad that might hold true to a large degree, but I've bought quite a few razor that lots of people praise only to find out that they just don't work for me. There are no 100% guarantees for pretty much anything, but I'd say in my experience, somewhere between 70%-80% of the time people are right.

There's a way to increase the chances to something like 90% by following people who share similar interests in blades and razors. But before that you need to know what exactly are you looking for. Like having an idea of how efficient, mild or aggressive razor you're looking for as well as angle preferences, weight, size of the razor and countless other details. Once you figure that out and you find like minded individuals who share those interests with you, it becomes even easier for you.

Yaqi Sentinel 1.35

The polish is mirror-like, I can't spot any imperfections.
Had some trouble attaching my Kvs-handle, haven't figured out wheteher it was the threading of the Sentinels' topcap or the thread inside my handle. But eventually I got it on and the action is now smooth and effortlessly.

Loaded with a Gillette Platinum (blue white package) I tried it out on my dry cheek yesterday. Mild. Does this thing even cut? Real test was this morning. Mild and smooth yet surpridingly efficient sums up the shave.

I had to poke around a bit to find the best angle. As Iridian has already said it's not steep, it's not shallow. It's somewhere and everywhere in between. I chose the 1.35 gap, because 1.55 seemed crazy to me. 1.35 is already pretty scary looking. But it's a very safe razor, I had no nicks, cuts or irritation. I didn't notice any scraping and wtg, xtg and atg felt equally smooth.
There is very little to no feedback, not in blade feel nor sound but it just cruises through my whiskers leaving a perfect and unarmed skin behind. .

I think I like it, despite it's gentle tendancies.
It's priced right, looks amazing and seems to shave excellently.

full

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I already talked to you, no idea what's up with the thread or handle.
I am quite with you, I love the way it shaves but still would like quite some more blade feel!
The only thing I would suggest is using a Kai SS Extra wide that are 9/1000 inches or .0045 per side wider. The Kai SS is sharp and smooth with excellent longevity. Not sure its the metal they use or the heat treatment they use to make the edge last a little longer from my experiences.
They are pricey but they last longer and great for those milder razors we still enjoy!
You fellows more than likely heard me mention this blade before but it could help others who have mild razors and want a slight boost in performance but nothing to be scared about IMO!

YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
What would you all think about changing the title of this thread to "Yaqi Sentinel"? The Sentinel has visual similarities to a WR2, but it is a different head. A big difference is the 0.05mm exposure. It is another in the category of high-gap, small exposure razors. Some of the WR2 are in that category, but their exposure goes up quickly. A more clear title will help others find it more easily. So what about asking a mod to change the title to a more accurate Yaqi Sentinel?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
What would you all think about changing the title of this thread to "Yaqi Sentinel"? The Sentinel has visual similarities to a WR2, but it is a different head. A big difference is the 0.05mm exposure. It is another in the category of high-gap, small exposure razors. Some of the WR2 are in that category, but their exposure goes up quickly. A more clear title will help others find it more easily. So what about asking a mod to change the title to a more accurate Yaqi Sentinel?
Makes sense, it is confusing for some folks looking at the title what to think of it.

It seems there is another option, similar to the Sentinel - Dscosmetic AX. It looks to be a new release and will come in gaps of 1.55, 1.35, and 1.15 mm and also CNC machined stainless steel. No exposure is listed at this point. It looks to have some grooves in the safety bar, which the Sentinel does not.

First shave with the Sentinel 1.35 went OK. I was extra cautious, so I got an patchy shave, but no weepers. I'm trying to figure out what angle it likes. It seems to have a fairly large range where it cuts, presumably due to the gap.

I started with a Personna Platinum, but that didn't seem sharp enough, so switched to an Astra SS and that went better. Once I get the hang of this I'll try an even sharper blade.

It includes a silicone washer, which is a nice touch, but that got stuck on the cap threads, so I replaced it with a hard plastic washer.

It is not nearly as scary as I thought it would be with that gap. It wasn't (yet) as smooth as the Game Changer 84p I shaved with yesterday, though. I took it very easy though and didn't push it. No feedback from alcohol-based astringent after either, which is a good sign.

Last edited:
Second shave with the Sentinel 1.35 was nice. I am getting a bit more comfortable with it. Very close shave in parts, but some other areas I didn't quite get as clean. That is surely me, not the razor. I'm trying to figure out what angle it likes. Given the large gap it has a wide range of angles at which it cuts and I get audible feedback throughout. That makes it hard to use my ears to hear the right angle, I'm listening to buttering toast through quite a range. I am not sure which angle it cuts best at. I think that is somewhat on the shallow side, but I need to tune it more. Any tips from you all?

I used the 1.35 earlier. The milling on the underside of the cap looks better than the 1.55. My 1.55 doesn't frown but the milling is closer to the end posts on the new 1.35. The caps look the same so both versions should be better.
With the low exposure it's smooth with low blade feel. Personally I think I want a tad more exposure and blade feel.
For me a neutral angle works, steep and you loose the blade contact. I need to shave a few more times with the 1.35. This was the first on this one and it's been a while since I used the 1.55.

Top Bottom