What's new

Yaqi Sentinel

"Xianyu", the Chinese version of craigslist. I've been living here for the past 6 years.

I always thought it meant salted-fish, until someone corrected me. Something along the lines of spare-fish, unoccupied-fish, idle-fish...

Don't worry, no mother-cursing. I used to live in Newfoundland, there salt-fish is akin to lifeblood, it's a compliment.
Idle fish... in this case :)

It's the pseudonym of the poster of the picture.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
This is the photo for the upcoming Sunday night shave. Shaving Friday after lunch wasn't my regular schedule. 😀
YaqiSentinel.jpg

That's the Stylletto stand.

Yaqi Sentinel
Wizamet Super Iridium
Zenith synthetic
WestMan Ribalta
Westman Ribalta Aftershave Lotion

Second shave with the Sentinel and I am still not sure what to think of it. It gives a feeling that it can bite but the shave is very comfortable notwithstanding the 1.5mm gap. However, the result (so far) is less than I can get with other razors which give me easily a BBS result. Not a bad shave, though.
As for the comparison with Wolfman, well, the design is clearly Wolfman inspired. I can't compare with the equivalent Wolfman as I only had the WR2 1.25. I was however never that impressed with Wolfman. It looked nice, but the shave was not really very special (which is why I eventually sold it).
20220819_192552.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@koenfucius much appreciated. I read that already several times that many rather prefer the WR1 head. But must check out the photo threads for actual usage and make an educated guess. I am out of money anyways, I still have money held back for two razors currently not available and just spent an unholy amount of money on trailrunning shoes. And prices for energy and oil, not only gas, went up a little bit over here as well...^^

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 / Feather
Cella as most of the time, I had no Nacets anymore, so I picked Feather.

TL;DR short version: Surprisingly mild for the huge 1.5 gap, but with injury potential. The skin feels smooth after shaving, but I had some spots left that were easily corrected though. Handle was relatively grippy, better than expected.

View attachment 1507769View attachment 1507771

Interestingly I started out riding the bar and tilting towards the cap to find the right angle, which seems to be a bit more on the steep side. Super steep and shallow are both prevented by bar and cap, but in between the razor shaves nicely at about every angle. It is rather silent while doing so, the blades are firmly clamped and while there is exposure, everything non-visible is locked down.

I had quite some stubble left around my chin and cleaned up after the shave, which was easy. The gap allows you to ram the blade into the skin if you are not careful, I had a weeper around the left corner of the mouth.

So is this razor mild or aggressive? It can potentially injure, but it is rather mild. It is very mild and friendly to the skin, I felt zero irritation after applying alcoholic after shave (Proraso Green).

The polish was done by hand, this has a nice side effect for the handle: The rings and spirals actually do have some grip, something that is notably absent from hyper smooth DSCosmetic handles. Soap still makes this handle slippery, but I have seen way worse when it comes to polished handles. Very good and a step up from DSCosmetics style. Still, no knurls and I want a beefier handle. This one is 91mm, 12mm diameter and 71g weight.

It is the larger of two polished handle options and is called "Bullet". It reminds me of a cross of a Fatip handle with a Razorock Halo. It is nice to look at but lacking imagination and I miss a knurled and polished option. What I did not like at all was black gunk inside the handle (!). I guess this is leftover metal or whatever from machining the threads and nobody ever bothered to pull it out. Water and Q-tips did...

The razor came with a preinstalled silicone ring under the baseplate. Very nice. Disassembling the razor with it after shaving was bad though, as it was like trying to get rid of bubble gum, making the removal of the blade a bit dangerous. I replaced it with a standard acrylic O-ring. I also do this for DSCosmetics, this silicone ring stuff isn't working out for me. But nice that they thought of protecting the polish!

Be it extreme care or Chinese Corona measures, baseplate, cap and handle were tightly wrapped into fitting foil. Every part was also wrapped with erm what was it actually, softish paper. This one won't be damaged in transit.

China-Europe took 9 days, rather 8, I ordered in the evening. Either there is not much to do atm or this "New Silk Road" thing is working out nicely by now. Customs and everything was handled for my by Yaqi/Aliexpress. Thinking about this, can't western allies like Europe and USA get something similar going, perhaps? It would be about time...

I have to experiment with this razor some more, I think potentially aggressive but mild describes it very well. It requires a bit more shaving experience than the Lupo. The way the head clamps down and locks in the blade is very interesting.

This is a very good and quite amazing razor. Price is around 90 EUR (88,99 EUR), shipping/customs and everything included.
It is testament to the head designs by Wolfman. I think these new Yaqi razors rather make people interested in Wolfman than losing Wolfman customers. More threatened by their step up in quality, but price as well, is Razorock: Their razors are by now more expensive than this one in Europe.

Now for the interesting questions:
Is it more efficient than a R41? NO, but way, way milder and gives a very good result.
Is it more efficient than a Lupo .95 OC? MAYBE, it's a very different style and a weird mix of aggressive while being mild.
Could you compare it to other razors? YES. I will try to do so in the next days.
Does it shave steep or shallow? NEITHER... but rather steep. See above.
Did you install the baseplate upside down as suggested in the product photos by Yaqi? NO, but I will try it soon
Does this razor come with a fitting stand? NO, but I am afraid not many besides me care for razor stands
Will you buy a Wolfman now? WHAT DO WE SAY? NOT TODAY! But this razor head is for sure inspiring me.
Very good accurate description of how this razor head with that eye candy looking handle you have on there performed for you on your 1st shave. So its a mild shaver it sounds like, as you already know by now how I boast about the Kai SS extra wide blade for little more blade feel if needed.
For a mild razor I would use Kai extra wide blade like I did this morning in my RR GC.84 and it would bump it up be become a nice tame mid range I'm guessing with this blade if you have one available to try! Very nice looking handle & stand combo also with a high polished razor head!
Not sure if you mentioned, did the shave feel equal on both sides of the razor head when rotated 180 degrees while shaving (simple test for accurate machining )as you would of felt that no doubt?
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg
Have some great shaves!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Ron R I am out of Nacets and while I read you about the wider Kai blades, they are available from few sources around me and unlike Feathers they are apparently never discounted. Razorblades Club wants 39,95 for 100 right now e.g.. Feather cost 35, but they are regularly on sale for 20 EUR with shipping included. Maybe I will get a few with the next pack of Nacets.
I have forgotten to get test that, but also can say I felt no difference and I tend to notice that. Mostly with Futur clones.
I will do another shave Sunday evening and @ClumsyBull will also soon be able to add some impressions. I find this huge gap but very locked in blade design very interesting. We speculated already how it relates to some designs by Blutt and Stando, but they don't come with such huge gaps. And allegedly Wolfman also does the WR2 in 1.85. 😀
The Yaqi razors go mostly straight to Australia where they are sold under fancy names. Also notice how they sell handle and head separately and not together, as most of their other razors.
Compared to the last batch of heads and handles they have now put their name and logo on handle and baseplate, besides the finish the quality seems higher as well. The black gunk in the handle threads is a blunder though, the non polished Yaqi handles didn't have that. DSCosmetic sent Clumsybull a handle like that. I wondered if it was grease or dried oil, but seems to be residue left from machining the threads rather.
I am looking forward to Lambda razors and the Alpha Bandit next. I wonder if RazoRock's upcoming slant will be good with its supposed multiple plate options. I guess I will start out with the most aggressive OC plate and dial down if necessary. I doubt RazoRock will releasea monster. They never did so far.

Today's shave
Yaqi Sentinel
Wizamet Super Iridium
Zenith Silvertip Giada
Irisch Moos
Irisch Moos Aftershave

Excellent shave. Maybe I got the hang of this razor. I am not saying it's in my top 5 (I have really a lot of razors😉) but nice addition to the den for variation.

Attachments

• 20220820_164915.jpg
    20220820_164915.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 30

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 / Feather (Cella, Aqua Velva)
YaqiSentinel.jpg

My second shave with the WR2 clone head delivered interesting results: After the shave applying alcoholic after shave did not cause burn, despite me using a scraping type of shave a lot. For Ron, before I forget it: Both sides shave the same, no uneven blade exposure.

Difficult for this razor are areas like chin and the jawline, as the optimal angle is hard to find and hold there. On my front chin there was one of two spots I had to correct after two passes WTG/XTG, the other was on my right neck. It shares something with my Timeless Slim, point the razor there, pull down, and gone. Very nice.

This is a mild scraping razor despite its huge gap, but it does nevertheless exhibit a harsh feeling when scraping at times. Might be so by default, maybe I had a bad angle. Will check that again next time. The blade is kept in check by rigid clamping, the huge gap has still injury potential around chin and jawline.

This razor head gives the shaver a lot of leeway with the angle when shaving, extreme shallow and steep angles don't work. So extremely riding the cap doesn't work at all, riding the bar isn't optimal either. Go steep, but not all the way.

I find it quite intriguing how much one can scrape over a spot and it will still not cause irritation. The mix of clamping, geometry and exposure is very interesting.

This razor is harder to handle and not as easy to get into, but it has very redeeming characteristics. I do not get the marble effect of the skin after shaving with a R41 with it, but I am quite amazed how mild it is and still gives a clean shave. For a similar result I must risk more irritation with the Timeless Slim, it also shares its quality of easily correcting spots.

I very much like their head designs and polish and hope they will make some fancy, longer, larger diameter handles with knurling in future. I see it coming: Knurls, Spirals, Rings. Maybe dimples as well. Or maybe they will come up with something new instead of mashing everything together they have seen on the market. :c1:

Looks interesting, but I'm going to pass on it. I really wanted to try a Wolfman or something close to it, but I promised to myself not to buy anymore Chinese junk razors. The other reason is that I've seen on other places that this clone (as well as the Wolfman itself) isn't something mind blowing in terms of shaving experience and I have tons of such kinds of razors. The only modern razor that I might try is the Green Cult, but I'm waiting for the new plates to come out and if they don't increase the price dramatically, I might buy one.

Ron R

A lot of folks steep angle shave (riding the bar)when using DE razors I would think if the safety bar was scalloped it would help the performance if they added lather serrations( lather grooves) it should give a little more protection and smooth out the shave more on any razor on the planet IMO.
Vintage razors it is seldom you a see a razor without lather serrations on the safety bar and lots of closed and open combs also.
Lots of Manufactures are getting away from scalloped safety bar to save time(= money) in MFG razors and I try to avoid those razors now because I like to steep angle shave more now with aggressive razors seems to work better .
I do not know how much it would improve the shave but common sense tells me it should be positive and not make it worse for sure :laugh:!
Shallow angle shaving(Riding the cap) safety bar lather serrations become less effective because the bar is slightly lifted from the skin surface allowing lather to lubricate the skin and blade edge better.

Razor angle 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Ron R as I habitually start out vertical for most razors I think you are right. OC or scallops are great. You might have read that I dig scalloped caps as well and that Timeless OC+Scalloped Cap, or just the scalloped cap on the GC already start the happiness atoms in my brain swinging!

I agree to your idea and think scalloping the cap, even when going steep, also has noticeable benefits. I attribute a slightly better shave with the S9 Game Changer clone to the slightly higher gap but suspect the scalloped cap also helps. If only that I damn little the feeling of the skin and the visual appeal! 🤗

Ron R

@Ron R as I habitually start out vertical for most razors I think you are right. OC or scallops are great. You might have read that I dig scalloped caps as well and that Timeless OC+Scalloped Cap, or just the scalloped cap on the GC already start the happiness atoms in my brain swinging!

I agree to your idea and think scalloping the cap, even when going steep, also has noticeable benefits. I attribute a slightly better shave with the S9 Game Changer clone to the slightly higher gap but suspect the scalloped cap also helps. If only that I damn little the feeling of the skin and the visual appeal! 🤗
I often wondered if you get get less resistance with a scallop cap when shaving because less metal contact to the face with good lubrication?

I habitually start out horizontal, kinda. Start shallow and stay as shallow as will cut hair. I believe it decreases irritation.

Top Bottom