What's new

Yaqi SE

I got one in the Yaqi sale
It shaves a bit better with a heavier handle as that white travel handle
It is a bit to agressive to my taste even with a kcg
On the plus side easy to manoeuvre due to the small size
No blade loading issues but I am used to a focus dynamic r48 which is a bigger pita.
Finish of the razor was good.
Recommend buying the head and see if that works for you.

I got one in the Yaqi sale
It shaves a bit better with a heavier handle as that white travel handle
It is a bit to agressive to my taste even with a kcg
On the plus side easy to manoeuvre due to the small size
No blade loading issues but I am used to a focus dynamic r48 which is a bigger pita.
Finish of the razor was good.
Recommend buying the head and see if that works for you.

I read somewhere that yaqi are calling the current batch of the Katana the version 3. Apparently it has beeter blade loading alignment than previous models. I must say that mine is spot on with blade loading. Everything is even and square and the blades fit perfectly. So car I've had nothing but BBS and its a mild shave for me.

I read somewhere that yaqi are calling the current batch of the Katana the version 3. Apparently it has beeter blade loading alignment than previous models. I must say that mine is spot on with blade loading. Everything is even and square and the blades fit perfectly. So car I've had nothing but BBS and its a mild shave for me.
As far as I can tell blade loading is fine, just compared to a qshave futul on 2-3 a bit on the strong side.

Mine didn't had blade aligment issues, but the blade support was terrible and I could feel the blade chatter all the time. The Chinese razor handles, brushes and other things might be good, but most of their one piece razors and razor heads are terrible imho. They don't even try to make their own things. Instead, they make a poor copies of already existing products with the hopes of making it right.

Another such exapmle is the Ming Shi 2000S, which also has poor blade support and lots of blade chatter. My way of testing razors for blade chatter before I used them is to press the loaded blade with my fingernail and if I can bend it with ease then this razor is a big no for me. Some folks advice newbies to start with inexpensive Chinese razors, but I tell them to stay away from them.

Mine didn't had blade aligment issues, but the blade support was terrible and I could feel the blade chatter all the time. The Chinese razor handles, brushes and other things might be good, but most of their one piece razors and razor heads are terrible imho. They don't even try to make their own things. Instead, they make a poor copies of already existing products with the hopes of making it right.

Another such exapmle is the Ming Shi 2000S, which also has poor blade support and lots of blade chatter. My way of testing razors for blade chatter before I used them is to press the loaded blade with my fingernail and if I can bend it with ease then this razor is a big no for me. Some folks advice newbies to start with inexpensive Chinese razors, but I tell them to stay away from them.

Katana half de or the newer Yaqi ac ?
I borrowed some Chinese razor heads and usually not impressed either.

They have quality issues

But I am happy with my second futul, the first one had blade alignment issues to call it politely.
And I am very happy with the snmirn which is based upon the futul
Would not define either as a starter. I would recommend the king c Gillette for that

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Katana half de or the newer Yaqi ac ?
I borrowed some Chinese razor heads and usually not impressed either.

They have quality issues

But I am happy with my second futul, the first one had blade alignment issues to call it politely.
And I am very happy with the snmirn which is based upon the futul
Would not define either as a starter. I would recommend the king c Gillette for that

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I was talking about the Katana. I don't have blades for the AC to test it yet.

I was talking about the Katana. I don't have blades for the AC to test it yet.
Grinnn and I have blades but waiting on the occam Oren and the Yaqi ac is sold out (assuming they fix production issues it should commence soon).

Grinnn and I have blades but waiting on the occam Oren and the Yaqi ac is sold out (assuming they fix production issues it should commence soon).

Mine has a ''slight'' misalignment, which can be fixed if I play with the blade a bit and since I own a few Fatip razors i've got used to adjusting the blades, but that issue also gave me a reason to ask for a refund and get my money back, so I basically have a ''free'' razor. I no longer have patience with the Chinese sellers and I ask for refund for the smallest thing. If they can rip off others and make copies, then I will do the same if their products aren't perfect.

Now I just have to buy a AC blade sample and give them a try to see if it's worth using. If I like it, I might buy more blades and wait for Blackland to release their budget AC razor (if that even happens). 200$ + shipping for the Vector is a bit too much for me and I don't really like the other AC razors available on the market.

Mine has a ''slight'' misalignment, which can be fixed if I play with the blade a bit and since I own a few Fatip razors i've got used to adjusting the blades, but that issue also gave me a reason to ask for a refund and get my money back, so I basically have a ''free'' razor. I no longer have patience with the Chinese sellers and I ask for refund for the smallest thing. If they can rip off others and make copies, then I will do the same if their products aren't perfect.

Now I just have to buy a AC blade sample and give them a try to see if it's worth using. If I like it, I might buy more blades and wait for Blackland to release their budget AC razor (if that even happens). 200$ + shipping for the Vector is a bit too much for me and I don't really like the other AC razors available on the market.
Sometimes they make nice stuff but in a lot of cases it is what you pay for and just missing that finishing touch. Which is a shame Asians are more than capable in making superb things.

I tried to explain to Yaqi who is selling brushes as defect. That defect is not the same as a b-grade, that it actually means broken and should therefore not be sold anymore. They are still pondering upon that one.

My snmirn has a flat spot on the handle no biggie it still shaves better as the futul. I lend it to an other shaver and after two shaves he was sold and got one.
Now would it not be great if merkur took that snmirn and made an allmost exact copy in brass, Alluminium or steel just to return the favor of the futur... would be expensive, would still get it if it shaved the same or better.

Best for us eu is picking expensive usa razors up on a usa holiday somewhere in the future or hope they will sell them overhere.

My occam was dirt cheap 50 usd for a second but shipping was 25 usd and import duties will be 25 euros.
I did that once with a oneblade genesis that was way tooo expensive.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Is the head on the Raster the same as the one on the Katana? And just diff handles? Or completely diff?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE dual shave, Friday, May 27th 2022. I recently bought a Yaqi Katana SE head on sale and received 2 excellent shaves with this razor and thought I would compare it to my Yaqi V2 Excalibur SE AC 50mm razor that I enjoy using and use it regularly. To be frank about the results for these 2 razors they shave very similar and I'm very pleased with results. I would say they are a tame mid>mid range razors & could be daily drivers for some folks IMO. This morning I shaved on side of my face with the Katana and the other side with the V2 Excalibur. This morning I shaved on side of my face with the Katana and the other side with the V2 Excalibur.

Razor :Yaqi Katana SE, Mfg 2021> uses 1/2 DE blade, nice tame mid>mid range, I load the top cap first with half blade and then the base plate and then clamp with fingers and then lightly snug handle and then bump blade with blade box for final alignment works well. No big alignment deal but it could be a little frustrating for some. Very affordable SE razor for folks who are looking for a good inexpensive SE razor to start out with IMO.
Razor: Yaqi V2 Excalibur AC 50mm- Mfg 2021> uses AC 50mm blades, tame mid range, unique blade clamping, takes any AC 50mm blade, some manual adjustment of the top cap to safety bar, not a big deal for most folks. Very small head parts to assemble( I work above a wash cloth works well for assembly) but the results are worth the effortless shave in IMO. A very close comfortable shave mostly, more pricier blades than the 1/2 DE blades.
Blade :Gillette Astra SP half blade (2) sharp & smooth with great longevity.
Blade: Schick Pro-line AC 50mm (2)- sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Razorock Don Marco- nice citrus scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Sagrada Familia 22mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, soft pillow like tips, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=
[IMG]
Excellent shaves with my Yaqi Katana & Yaqi V2 Excalibur SE razors with a 1/2 blade Astra + a Schick proline
SOTD May 27 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Fun bit of kit today. Both razors were hacks. First pass was my SuperClick Flexball v4 loaded with Bic CP. Second and Clean up were with a (very) junky Yaqi Katana (v1?) head on a Baili handle loaded with a Japan Schick injector blade. That razor is (poorly) designed for 1/2 DE, but the Schick was loads better and is much safer. Lots of blade feel and sharpness, no chatter. A very smooth secure shave- Mr Shiny Face in fact.

If you have the head and and an injector blade, give it a shot. It is pretty awesome. As you can make the razor heavier than injectors, it may even be better than injector razors. Alignment is a touch finicky, but worth it!

Top Bottom