What's new

Yaqi SE

Looks like it's a half-DE contraption. Likely Zamak. Looks like it will shave pretty well. Probably be cheap.

I doubt it will be a best seller, but it's probably not a half-bad razor.

Bit of digging, found this

Screenshot_20200726-201004.png

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I was lucky or unlucky enough to pre-order one a week or two ago here in Australia. It won’t be available until 05th of August. I ordered the SE razor in Space Chrome. Now just have to work out which half blades to get. I was going to order the new Yaqi Adjustable but while I was watching a similar review to this one they sold out.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
From the overall appearance, it seems that they only deleted part of the existing DE model head; and slightly adjustments to fill the missing blade support of plate.
I hope they can put forward more ideas when designing.

proxy.php

I see that on the Yaqi Australia site they have a few models with different length handles.

Still nothing on the AliExpress site for UK users though

I experienced Yaqi Katana Gun Metal with Astra Stainless (1). You have to crack the blade in two pieces. You have to pay attention when placing the blade. It gave me a very effective shaving with one pass + touch up a reached somewhere between DFS and BBS. The day after hair growth is lighter than usual.

I just pulled the trigger on the Yagi head and also this Muhle style stainless steel handle for only 4$. I hope it's as efficient as people in the reviews claim it is.

I have one with the abs plastic handle. The head is fairly narrow and build quality is very good. Most Yaqi heads are DLC coated. The shave compares to any razor which in this case is excellent. The only way to get one is to order from Yaqi Australia which took about one month for delivery. During these times I thought that was not bad.
IMG_0496.JPG

I purchased the Yaqi S E razor the other day and received it in time for a shave this morning. I thought I might give you my experiences with it.

Price: AUD $19.95. Cheap at twice the price!

Postage: I am in Australia and it came to me from interstate. It was posted within 24 hours of my order. In these Covid times you can’t ask for better than that. It arrived within five business days. I’m not sure what will happen to those who order from overseas. Free postage with the amount of stuff I bought. Overseas will be different.

Un-boxing: This is never anything which really impresses me but I know that it is important for some. The postage carton was solid, well sealed and contained sufficient biodegradable white nuggetty things to protect the creams and razor. The razor itself was contained in a solid cardboard box big enough to take the razor and no more. All of it seemed to me to be no-frills but yet keeping its contents safe.

Razor Finish: I got the black metal. The finish appears good. It is halfway between standard chrome and Matt black with a shine to it. It is a bit slippery around the head and base when it comes to loading the blade.

Razor Handle: While I haven’t measured it, it looks to be about 3.5 inches. It is tapered from the bottom to the top. The bottom is about the circumference of the standard razor handle. The top is much thinner. I expected to have difficulty holding it because of that shape, the glossiness of the finish and the narrow striations in the handle (as opposed to knurling). That proved not to be the case. No difficulties there. My only problem with the handle is that it squeaks when you screw it in to the head and base. Clearly the machining is not quite as accurate as you might get in say, a Karve or Jagger 3one6. However I have eradicated this for the moment by dipping the screw attachment of the head into some beeswax. Worked a charm. Whether it stays that way is another thing.

Razor head and base: It is a three-piece and takes a half DE blade. Consequently the head and base plate are narrow compared to a DE razor. There is nothing to keep the blade on the base when it is being loaded. The only way to make sure it doesn’t fall off is to angle the head slightly so that the blade sits flush next to the posts so that gravity can keep it on. I found that quite finicky. However my fine motor skills are not the best - others might not have this problem. I had the same difficulty loading the Broman. I look forward to trying the Twig. It has a magnet system in the base to ensure the blade doesn’t fall out. No magnet frills at $19.95.

Covering the Blade: As you know, when you snap a DE blade, the blade tabs at the point of snapping bend in the direction of the snap. There is the possibility of scratching yourself with them. As with any DE blade, the normal tabs on the short side of the blade can also extend past the razor head and cause the same scratching. No trouble with that with this razor. The head and base extend in width and depth to cover both sets of tabs. The only thing you see of the blade is the cutting edge. Well-designed it seems to me.

The Fixings: My go to blade is a Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless. Today it was on its second use. I always test a razor with TOBS. Today it was sandalwood. My usual preshave preparation of hot water followed by Trumpers skin food didn’t change for this shave.

The Shave: My starting point is that after WTG and XTG - only two passes and a few pick-ups, I was fit to go to work - DFS but not BBS. I have a medium to thick beard on a Caucasian head. While there didn’t seem to be much blade exposure, I had very strong blade feel throughout the shave. I was forever expecting to see my precious blood yet again. Apart from one weeper, all was good. I suspect that may have been because I treated the razor with the respect it deserved. I don’t think you should do anything but take your time when using it. The other strong first impression was blade chatter. You will not be left in doubt when this razor is cutting something. I had no difficulty dialling it in when I first started or keeping it that way as the shave progressed.

After Shave: I certainly did not feel like I had used sandpaper over my face. My alum block told me the razor/blade combo was easy on my face.

Conclusion: I enjoy all manifestations of OneBlade. They are my go to when using SE razors. However I alternate with DE shaving - Karve, Rockwell C, Gillette Tech, Merkur 34C, Jagger 3one6 or a slant on occasion. I will certainly put this razor into my rotation. For me, bearing in mind price, this was an extraordinary shave. I hope this assists somebody in deciding whether to buy it or not.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review @Wal59, I have not used my Katana yet. I am not a fan of snapping blades in half. I have some half blades on the way and then I will let you know what I think.

Thanks for the review @Wal59, I have not used my Katana yet. I am not a fan of snapping blades in half. I have some half blades on the way and then I will let you know what I think.

Cheers mate. I was leery at the snap business myself at first. No worries nowadays. Have fun when you get the delivery.

M

Member 113878

Got one but really disliked it.
The blade is indeed a PITA to load.
They should have used a system similar to the RR ECO, which is truly great.
As for the shave, that's much too agressive for me.
Then again, the ECO is much much better.

I had one but sold it shortly after. The blade support is terrible and I can feel the blade flex while shaving. It's not impossible to shave but the shaving isn't very enjoyable and maybe those with soft or medium whiskers won't have that much of a problem unlike those with coarse whiskers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got one of these today.
Did half a face shave using a Willys.
3 pass shave, was OK, shave is close no accidents no blood, minimal irritation.
In fact I liked this shave better than RR Eco.

The other half was done w Yaqi SE razor, this one had more blade feel and was a bit more complicated to maneuver. I liked the Katana more. Will try SE with either Schick Proline or a different new Feather.

I did like the Katana. Putting the blade is not easy and might move....so check it after you tighten it. Echo has way better blade placement and secure.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have not used mine yet. I was going to try it a while ago but the blade was definitely a PITA to load. I couldn’t do it. I could line it up and then when I tightened everything up the blade was crooked. I put it away for another day.

Well having bought only a few Kaweco pens lately and there being a sale on over on the AliExpress Yaqi store I thought why not. So for £12.90 to my door I've gone and bought the chrome SE head and the small nickel / chrome handle at 70mm. I sold my RR UFO a few weeks ago but still have a stash of DE blades that'll last well into the next century ( I wont ), and as much as I love the Focus R48 SE the blade loading is just to fragile for me especially as its the aluminium variant. So heres a couple of vendor pics for ya.

667201354-219792466.jpg
-1723113253-1988991047.jpg

Top Bottom