What's new

Yaqi Remus and Romulus AC razors - Open comb version

Hi, just saw that the Yaqi remus and romulus AC razors have been launched in the open comb version. I have the closed comb remus (matte). Will yaqi be selling only the head for the open comb, will it fit in the closed comb razor?

Thanks!

Saw the OC, it should fit per specs shows on the site on to the current razors... however I do not see them selling just the OC plate as yet on the site. Maybe sent customer service a message to get clarity

Yaqi is tempting me too much with these offers. I have the excalibur head though and plenty of De blades that want to be used. However again the single edge OC Ac format is really tempting. Thoughts, thoughts...

Yup, likewise. So went ahead and ordered the OC model yesterday...it shipped today so should have a report out in a few weeks.
The current SB model is a solid performer and has set the bar high, so let's see how the OC does. In fact the SB model is one of the few pieces of hardware that delivers a DFS on the first pass itself for me (I have tough whiskers, though still smoothish skin). It makes me think twice before using a DE in my rotation.

1000051534.jpg

Note from Yaqi CS

Yup, likewise. So went ahead and ordered the OC model yesterday...it shipped today so should have a report out in a few weeks.
The current SB model is a solid performer and has set the bar high, so let's see how the OC does. In fact the SB model is one of the few pieces of hardware that delivers a DFS on the first pass itself for me (I have tough whiskers, though still smoothish skin). It makes me think twice before using a DE in my rotation.
@BBSSBOSS please do post your review for the same!!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hi, just saw that the Yaqi remus and romulus AC razors have been launched in the open comb version. I have the closed comb remus (matte). Will yaqi be selling only the head for the open comb, will it fit in the closed comb razor?
You can ask them yourself when using the App or the super well hidden feature on their website to contact them. That's why I recommend the App. They do reply, no worries.

Report out on the Yaqi Romulus OC after 4 shaves.

For those interested, I have uploaded some pictures highlighting the similarities and differences between the two models (SB vs. OC)
The difference physically is the comb on one, a minor difference visually is in the handles. The OC has notches (4 of them) running in a straight line on the handle equidistant from one another. The two heads are interchangeable with the handles and so are the top caps- both are visually equal to the naked eye of mine. The weight and feel of either are very similar, maybe the OC has a slightly sleeker profile due to the notched handle.

I will do an executive summary on the shaving outcomes between the two with some details and based on follow-ups add context as needed.

Attachments

• SB and OC heads view_2.jpeg
    SB and OC heads view_2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • SB and OC heads view.jpeg
    SB and OC heads view.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
  • SB and OC side by side.jpeg
    SB and OC side by side.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
Report out on the Yaqi Romulus OC after 4 shaves.

For those interested, I have uploaded some pictures highlighting the similarities and differences between the two models (SB vs. OC)
The difference physically is the comb on one, a minor difference visually is in the handles. The OC has notches (4 of them) running in a straight line on the handle equidistant from one another. The two heads are interchangeable with the handles and so are the top caps- both are visually equal to the naked eye of mine. The weight and feel of either are very similar, maybe the OC has a slightly sleeker profile due to the notched handle.

I will do an executive summary on the shaving outcomes between the two with some details and based on follow-ups add context as needed.

Thanks for the comparison!! The photos are worth 1,000 (or more) words! :popc:

I used a Romulus OC for the first time this AM and managed a superb shave. The only other SE safety I can compare it to is a Micromatic. The Romulus is in another league altogether. The razor is light. I was surprised by how much I liked the slim handle and had no problem hanging on to it. The angle is instantly intuitive, and the razor is very smooth. I used the blade included, which I understand is a Personna, but who knows? I had one weeper on the chin, which was entirely the result of pilot error. This blade/razor combo did not seem overly aggressive to me, though the WTG pass was remarkably efficient. A normal three pass routine left very smooth skin and no irritation behind. ATG was effortless and comfortable. I use Poraso green as a preshave, and the soap today was Rustbelt Balkan Reserve. Frankly, this may be the best shave I've yet accomplished, and I've been a wet shaver forever (I'm 70).

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I used a Romulus OC for the first time this AM and managed a superb shave. The only other SE safety I can compare it to is a Micromatic. The Romulus is in another league altogether. The razor is light. I was surprised by how much I liked the slim handle and had no problem hanging on to it. The angle is instantly intuitive, and the razor is very smooth. I used the blade included, which I understand is a Personna, but who knows? I had one weeper on the chin, which was entirely the result of pilot error. This blade/razor combo did not seem overly aggressive to me, though the WTG pass was remarkably efficient. A normal three pass routine left very smooth skin and no irritation behind. ATG was effortless and comfortable. I use Poraso green as a preshave, and the soap today was Rustbelt Balkan Reserve. Frankly, this may be the best shave I've yet accomplished, and I've been a wet shaver forever (I'm 70).
Great review of your first use of the Romulus open comb, The open comb should give more lather protection also when shaving because it does not plow the lather away from the blade edge. I think the Micromatic might have more blade feel from experiences and testing over the years of use. Glade you had a nice close comfortable shave on your first try!

Would you say you'd be able to use the OC as a daily shaver? Do you think you'd have any irritation issues if you used it as your daily? I'm going to buy one at some point, just not sure if I should get SB or OC. Now that there is the OC option, I am thinking OC.

Would you say you'd be able to use the OC as a daily shaver? Do you think you'd have any irritation issues if you used it as your daily? I'm going to buy one at some point, just not sure if I should get SB or OC. Now that there is the OC option, I am thinking OC.
I shave every every second day, so I can't comment on daily use. I've used it four times in a row thus far and experience no irritation at all. I'm quite smitten with this razor. I have a surgical scar on my neck that creates an odd topography. None of my DE razors allow me to get a close shave in this area. The Romulus OC head lets me get very close, and I've never accomplished this before. I recognize that this may simply be a happy coincidence bewtween this particular razor and my unique needs, but it's got me thinking, and I've started to explore other SE options. I will be interested to hear other opinions regarding the OC version of the Romulus.

I shave every every second day, so I can't comment on daily use. I've used it four times in a row thus far and experience no irritation at all. I'm quite smitten with this razor. I have a surgical scar on my neck that creates an odd topography. None of my DE razors allow me to get a close shave in this area. The Romulus OC head lets me get very close, and I've never accomplished this before. I recognize that this may simply be a happy coincidence bewtween this particular razor and my unique needs, but it's got me thinking, and I've started to explore other SE options. I will be interested to hear other opinions regarding the OC version of the Romulus.

Hi Cmbrow, thanks. That sounds pretty great. I was looking for a daily shaver, but still, the OC sounds like it could easily be one with the right blade choice. When I do buy the Remus, I think I will go with the OC over the SB version.

Top Bottom