What's new

Wunderbar | Daily Driver | What About It?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Okay, it's February 28th. That means tomorrow is the beginning of the 2021 Fixed Four.

11-2-20.640.Wunderbar.RV-IBO.VitosRed.JPG

As usual I'm on the fence about my kit. I'm so on the fence I might not do the Fixed. What about the Wunderbar for the Fixed?

Any thing can happen between now and tomorrow morning, but my current contenders are these three.
  • FOCS. It's a razor I know very well, and like a huge amount, but have already mastered. Nothing to learn.
  • Gillette Executive. An excellent razor. I'd learn something using it for a month.
  • Wunderbar. I've used the WB only nine times. I like it. I'm far from mastering it. I have a couple of little nicks visible on my chin from yesterday's shave to prove I might learn something using it.
I'm an experienced shaver and know I can shave with anything, but some razors aren't worth the bother. So far, the WB is worth the climb on the learning curve, but does that mean it would a suitable Fixed Four daily driver?

2-27-21.Wunderbar.Arlingtoh.RV-D01.640.JPG

I'm not, however, a Fixed Four newbie. I know going into a Fixed with less than great kit can become quite a challenge. I also read (mostly) that most people do not consider the WB a daily driver although a few do.

What do you think about your Wunderbar as a daily driver. Even if I pick something other than the WB for the Fixed it's still a question of interest to me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
You're a better (and braver) man than me, Jim. I love the look and feel of the WB, but I couldn't do it as a fixed four. I've tried to master it a few times -- meaning I've dedicated a couple of weeks of shaving with it -- but every shave I end up with looking at some blood. I like shaving with technique-driven razors from time to time, but there are *many* times I crave a razor that gives me a close comfortable shave without me having to be ultra-focused.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You're a better (and braver) man than me, Jim. I love the look and feel of the WB, but I couldn't do it as a fixed four. I've tried to master it a few times -- meaning I've dedicated a couple of weeks of shaving with it -- but every shave I end up with looking at some blood. I like shaving with technique-driven razors from time to time, but there are *many* times I crave a razor that gives me a close comfortable shave without me having to be ultra-focused.

Dilemma (Don't:Do)Rotated.jpg

I say do it. I can relate with a lot of what you said. The wunderbar is a curious razor that shaves awesome. Just do it. If you decide you don’t like it, it’s no big deal.

1614526354053.png

In the middle of a Fixed, or in the last week of a Fixed.

Been there. Have the Tee Shirt.​
proxy.php

Happy shaves,

Jim​

I guess there's a couple of ways you could look at it...

Worst case if you go for it you'd have to take the odd day off - is this possible for you?

If you're still getting nicks from it, is it a risk worth taking?

If the main point of FFFMM is to learn something, is it something worth learning?
I suppose it makes sense to go with something you really want to learn specifically, or with something noticeably more (or less!) aggressive than you're used to.

I enjoyed learning more aggressive razors, but I also learned a lot about learning mild razors and certainly as daily drivers I know what I prefer in a daily driver...
Can't say anything about the Wunderbar as I've not had one.

The Wunderbar was the 1st razor that made me realize I could be successful as an every other day shaver!! There just wasn't enough stubble the next day to be able to shave for me.

This. I interpret that yhe fixed four also includes days of rest as the intention is to get familiar with the 4 elements in use. That being the case - WB with a trusted blade would be a good choice!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
YEAH! JUST FREEKIN' DO IT!

:punk::spidey::a50::clap::clap::clap::a50:

I love my WB. In fact, while I'm not a FFFMM person it IS time for this year's Tilted Picnic Slant Tour. I was gonna start today, because March. But I just got a new barber straight (Kasho Woody) and I didn't want to wait for that shave. I'll shave out this week with it and then kick the Tilted Picnic into gear next week. Just for you, because I'm basically a friendly guy, I'll re-run the Wunderbar for the first six shaves, then kick in the V3 Stealth Slant (the grand-dad of the WB).

Daily driver? Well, now. I shave three times a week, normally. I can use the WB every time I shave. After the first couple of days I get more practice in keeping a really light touch, because there's just less to shave off. I've also noticed that sometimes I can go every three days with it and be fine. So you may modify your routine a bit, but "using it every time you shave" for a month isn't a real stretch.

O.H.

Okay, it's February 28th. That means tomorrow is the beginning of the 2021 Fixed Four.

View attachment 1229723

As usual I'm on the fence about my kit. I'm so on the fence I might not do the Fixed. What about the Wunderbar for the Fixed?

Any thing can happen between now and tomorrow morning, but my current contenders are these three.
  • FOCS. It's a razor I know very well, and like a huge amount, but have already mastered. Nothing to learn.
  • Gillette Executive. An excellent razor. I'd learn something using it for a month.
  • Wunderbar. I've used the WB only nine times. I like it. I'm far from mastering it. I have a couple of little nicks visible on my chin from yesterday's shave to prove I might learn something using it.
I'm an experienced shaver and know I can shave with anything, but some razors aren't worth the bother. So far, the WB is worth the climb on the learning curve, but does that mean it would a suitable Fixed Four daily driver?

View attachment 1229721

I'm not, however, a Fixed Four newbie. I know going into a Fixed with less than great kit can become quite a challenge. I also read (mostly) that most people do not consider the WB a daily driver although a few do.

What do you think about your Wunderbar as a daily driver. Even if I pick something other than the WB for the Fixed it's still a question of interest to me.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I think with the right blade it could be a winner as a daily driver. Youd probably want to use a somewhat mild blade in it though.

I will go contrary to the sentiment but bear in mind that I have never used a Wunderbar.

I believe for many of us, we are not shaving as we do not because we have to (carts, electric, etc.) but because we want to and find some combination of joy, satisfaction, relaxation or cathartic ritual. To lock into something for a month that could defeat why we shave the way we do would defeat the purpose.

I vote that you use your favorite or near favorite for each of the four fixed tools or products.

After this is done you can go back to learning and becoming proficient with the Wunderbar or put it away again as the mood strikes you.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As I suspected, the answers are all over the place, and nobody's wrong.

I think with the right blade it could be a winner as a daily driver. You'd probably want to use a somewhat mild blade in it though.

I use one brand of DE blade (which is sold under the names Polsilver SI and Wizamet SI).

Chasing blades and jumping around from blade to blade is not something I do anymore. Not even if it makes perfect sense. Call me stubborn.

Have a great month with a great razor. When I used my Wunderbar daily for a full week I found every shave after the first day was basically a cleanup pass. Enjoy your shaves...

That's what I'm hoping for, a great month with the WB. Earlier, using a borrowed WB, I shaved about seven times with the razor. Don't remember if they were all consecutive shaves. This WB is mine, and I want to climb its learning curve to the pinnacle if I can. The Fixed will force that or leave me in the dust.

You are a brave shaver! I eagerly await your daily reports! :)

I hope not too brave. The words that came to my mind were insane shaver. Still, we'll see.

Daily shave reports will appear in the Damn Comfortable Shave thread.

YEAH! JUST FREEKIN' DO IT...I love my WB...Daily driver? Well, now. I shave three times a week, normally. I can use the WB every time I shave. After the first couple of days I get more practice in keeping a really light touch, because there's just less to shave off. I've also noticed that sometimes I can go every three days with it and be fine. So you may modify your routine a bit, but "using it every time you shave" for a month isn't a real stretch.

I can't get away with missing workday shaves. Weekends are another matter, but there's no way around five consecutive shaves during the work week.

I have a Wunderbar and I'm not sure I could shave with it daily......that sucker shaves close. Good luck.

Thank you.

In this YMMV hobby one important lesson is learning that what applies to someone else may or may not apply to oneself.

I've been able to identify a few guys who like brushes and knots very similar to or exactly like those I like. Perhaps the same will happen with razors.

To me, the WB shaves closer than the FOCS, but not much closer. The WB certainly doesn't give me the mythical dolphin skin smooth, BBS shave. At least not yet it doesn't. If it's a bit closer than the FOCS, and if I can also get it to be a damn comfortable shaver, I'll be very pleased.

I will go contrary to the sentiment but bear in mind that I have never used a Wunderbar.

I believe for many of us, we are shaving as we do not because we have to (carts, electric, etc.) but because we want to. We find some combination of joy, satisfaction, relaxation or cathartic ritual. To lock into something for a month that could defeat why we shave the way we do would defeat the purpose.

I vote that you use your favorite or near favorite for each of the four fixed tools or products.

After this is done you can go back to learning and becoming proficient with the Wunderbar or put it away again as the mood strikes you.

I vote that you use your favorite or near favorite for each of the four fixed tools or products. After this is done you can go back to learning and becoming proficient with the Wunderbar or put it away again as the mood strikes you.

In general I entirely agree with you, and would offer the same advice.

The contrary issue is this: I already know I can do a Fixed with a quartet. I could easily pick the members, create great harmony, have a pleasant Fixed, and learn nothing. Been there. Done that.

Believe me, it was tempting to do exactly as you suggest. Then, I looked at my history.

1614648511253.png

Tilting at windmills is a great hobby.

Thanks, everyone, and happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom