What's new

WSJ article about DE shaving

Am I the only person who gets as many cuts from an electric or a cartridge as I do from a DE, and way more irritation? I don't know how often I have heard that it is impossible to cut yourself with an electric, and yet I have. At least I know when I cut myself with a DE razor I just had a good shave. If I cut myself with an electric I still have patches of hair that the razor missed.

I had a plug-in Norelco with the two rotary heads instead of three. If you didn't position it just right or press too hard, it would leave semicircles of irritation. And yes, I cut myself (more like weepers) with it. Horrible on the neck, missed patches. Grrrr!

Maybe the ones with "three floating heads" distribute better over the skin.

Nope! I had a Norelco with three, and a Braun foil, both caused irritation and missed patches. I will never bother trying another. I tried both styles (rotary and foil) and neither worked for me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Electric razors I've tried, which doesn't include the modern high end brands, eat my neck alive. They're okay on my cheeks, but I'll probably never go near one again.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Same for me. When you experience the comfort and closeness that can be achieved DE shaving, well....? It does take a little patience and practice, but should hold no fear for anyone. I've never enjoyed shaving so much :biggrin1:

I had a plug-in Norelco with the two rotary heads instead of three. If you didn't position it just right or press too hard, it would leave semicircles of irritation. And yes, I cut myself (more like weepers) with it. Horrible on the neck, missed patches. Grrrr!

One of the early Rembrandt self portraits! In some of those he looks remarkably like the footballer Lionel Messi.

When I was a teen trying to figure out how to shave I tried electrics. For me the problem was I looked like I needed a shave two or three hours after using one.

Chris

When I was a teen trying to figure out how to shave I tried electrics. For me the problem was I looked like I needed a shave two or three hours after using one.

Chris

Ditto. I could never get a close shave with an electric, and I tried a bunch, well into my 20s. I had no irritation, but when I was done, it felt and looked like I shaved yesterday, not today.

if more people catch on most wetshaving products are gonna go up in price
and not gonna lie everytime I see some random guy in a Walmart for example with a bunch of carts in my mind I got an evil grin knowing how much money I'm "shaving"

I think that the article was poorly researched - like the author spoke to one "safety razor" shaver and drew many unwarranted conclusions. Between 1920 and the late '60's when carts were introduced, two generations of men shaved exclusively with straights,GEM's, DE's and injectors, and as far as I know, nobody bled to death. It also made the whole shaving process seem like a joyless task instead of the fun and exciting hobby and brotherhood that we share here on B&B.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think that the article was poorly researched - like the author spoke to one "safety razor" shaver and drew many unwarranted conclusions. Between 1920 and the late '60's when carts were introduced, two generations of men shaved exclusively with straights,GEM's, DE's and injectors, and as far as I know, nobody bled to death. It also made the whole shaving process seem like a joyless task instead of the fun and exciting hobby and brotherhood that we share here on B&B.

I've been on the receiving end too many times to blame reporters when the fault was editors. They take good articles written by excellent reporters apart, cut out important stuff, and paste together whatever supports their point of view, cramming what fits into the available space without regard for the reporter or the reporter's "victims" - those interviewed, the facts, the truth, or the reader - and the reporter has zero recourse.

I'm not speaking here as a reporter because I've never been one, but I know from having been interviewed a number of times how badly editors butcher the good work done by reporters. Not all editors I suppose, but enough so I won't be interviewed again about anything professionally important to me. I've been misquoted and made to look the fool enough to have learned the lesson. What they say you said may or may not have any relationship to what you said or what you meant; they know it, but they don't care. They should be ashamed, but they're not.

In any event the article did wet shaving an injustice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I got into DE because of the razor craze the past few years. Hyping up their blades better than Gillette. Nope. They were not. After what Gillette did about what is a "real man" I decided I'm done with them. I just happened to see a DE shaving video after googling best razors. I have not used a cartridge since and I never bled. One small Nick and the shaving pen I bought worked perfectly.

I'm going to be contrarian and just say it's being realistic.

Most people could get most of the benefits of a DE shaving with a Bic #1 disposable.

Though I think the amount of blood is an exaggeration. I'm not very good at DE shaving but I almost never cut myself. If you get a mild razor it's almost a non-issue. I can count on one hand all the time in all the years I've had to use a styptic pencil. Don't get cocky or cute and cutting yourself seriously is not going to be an issue, at least not any more than using any other single-blade razor.

Top Bottom