What's new

WSJ article about DE shaving

Personally I thought it was reasonably balanced.

• For those who fixate on the blood aspect of it, how many threads do we see here on the worst cut you gave yourself -- or some such variation?
  • For those who feel that the article dissed this niche by telling the world that it is a small niche, they should recognize that the really small niche markets don't get a mention from WSJ.

The tone of this article and previous articles like this one are the reason I waited so long in trying a DE razor.

The gist of the article is DE shaving is difficult, will draw blood/cause pain, and give a substandard shave compared to carts. Carts are superior, but if you like driving non-air conditioned cars and reading by candle light like they did in the good ole days, then a DE may fit your lifestyle.

Articles like this scare people away from using safety razors. Yes, if you don't practice and go slow you can nick yourself with a safety razor. BUT, if you don't practice or go slow you can nick yourself with a kitchen knife. Going by the articles logic, no-one should be using kitchen knives, blenders and food processors are way better.

As for me, I have found safety razors give a superior shaving experience all way around as compared to a cart. Smoother, less irritation, less nicks/weepers, easier to get blades and more environmentally friendly. THAT is what the article should have talked about.

Sorry about the rant, the blood-letting articles about safety razors chaff my hide.

Have a Great One!

Right on! Good points.

Reading this article would leave one with the impression that using a DE is the same as a straight but on a stick and that there have been no new products.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I've gotten weepers using a cart. When I switched to DE it was the once and awhile rare occurrence the same (my complexion isn't the smoothest to begin with). I don't count a weeper as a cut. I've only cut myself once with a DE, and that was two and a half years in. It was totally my fault. Cal said, "don't j-hook with the PAA Bakelite Slant". I said, "sure...right". I went from under my jaw line and j-hooked right up and onto my jawline. Other than that bit of acrobatic maneuvering, with a razor that has tons of blade exposure, I've never cut myself.

A DE is basically a "straight razor on a stick"? Um, no. It has a safety bar, and safety bars actually work! I have to laugh.

Why did you put quotes around something that wasn’t actually a quote? Sure, that’s the essence of what she said, but not a direct quote...as quote marks imply. Let’s hold ourselves to the same standard we want to see from the writer.

Wow , I’m not saying this to fish for a compliment in any way. But I’m glad that my opening this thread was able to induce some conversation!

About weeper and nicks: I grew up watching my father shave with a Schick Krona. I remember when he got it and that he was very enthused about how much better it was for him than his previous razor.

By the time I started shaving, he had long abandoned it for whatever was latest and greatest. When I took to using a DE, he thought I was crazy and commented about how much he cut his chin with one. That was not my recollection at all. If anything, he cut himself more with twin-blade cartridges and with disposables.

So, does perception boil down to what we're used to? I don't know. But I do know I get better shaves with a DE. :001_302:

About weeper and nicks: I grew up watching my father shave with a Schick Krona. I remember when he got it and that he was very enthused about how much better it was for him than his previous razor.

By the time I started shaving, he had long abandoned it for whatever was latest and greatest. When I took to using a DE, he thought I was crazy and commented about how much he cut his chin with one. That was not my recollection at all. If anything, he cut himself more with twin-blade cartridges and with disposables.

So, does perception boil down to what we're used to? I don't know. But I do know I get better shaves with a DE. :001_302:
I’ve dabbled in both and I can certainly attest that a DE will nick me more than a cart , but the cart will give me irritation far easier .

Why did you put quotes around something that wasn’t actually a quote? Sure, that’s the essence of what she said, but not a direct quote...as quote marks imply. Let’s hold ourselves to the same standard we want to see from the writer.
I apologise for my error. I read the article and that's what was in my memory.

On the other hand, I don't really think it is fair to hold a random forum poster to the same standard as a professional journalist writing for a national publication.

The tone of this article and previous articles like this one are the reason I waited so long in trying a DE razor.

The gist of the article is DE shaving is difficult, will draw blood/cause pain, and give a substandard shave compared to carts. Carts are superior, but if you like driving non-air conditioned cars and reading by candle light like they did in the good ole days, then a DE may fit your lifestyle.

Articles like this scare people away from using safety razors. Yes, if you don't practice and go slow you can nick yourself with a safety razor. BUT, if you don't practice or go slow you can nick yourself with a kitchen knife. Going by the articles logic, no-one should be using kitchen knives, blenders and food processors are way better.

As for me, I have found safety razors give a superior shaving experience all way around as compared to a cart. Smoother, less irritation, less nicks/weepers, easier to get blades and more environmentally friendly. THAT is what the article should have talked about.

Sorry about the rant, the blood-letting articles about safety razors chaff my hide.

Have a Great One!
:thumbup1:

Perception definitely changes for all kinds of reasons. Until I had a bad run-in with shoulder impingement a few years ago I dismissed any little shoulder niggles I had after a workout. Now I'm much aware of them, and see them as a warning about an imbalance in my training.

During the years I used cartridge razors I thought nothing of the cuts, razor bumps and general irritation that were regular occurrences. My whole attitude to shaving was very different. I didn't enjoy the process itself, the goal was just to get it done as cheaply and quickly as possible and I accepted all the little injuries as part of the deal. Now I'm getting better at DE shaving a cut is a rare and noteworthy event and irritation would be a problem to be solved.

Why all the BLOOD! I used to get small nicks and weepers every other shave using plastic disposables. Since switching to DE I've had ONE small weeper - and I'm still learning so my technique's pretty ropey.

I was just talking about this article with a friend last night. He uses a brush and shaving soap, but uses a cart out of fear of blood. This article pushed him further away from DE. I may just clean up one of my milder razors and load it up with a GSB for him, along with a link to a tutorial or two in this fine establishment.

True, but should we be brave, and use multiple straight razors attached perpendicularly to a handle with only a plastic guard separating blade from skin.

Top Bottom