What's new

WSJ article about DE shaving

I wear one of these to shave in

Machete-History.jpg

That is a very good article. Covers carts, de, se, and sr. Pros and Cons for all of them.

There was one thing in the article that I was ehh about, and it is a small thing, they recommended the Merkur 34c instead of the EJ89 :001_tt2:
Perhaps the barbers interviewed are older guys who haven't used Edwin Jagger. It's much newer a company than Merkur.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Perhaps the barbers interviewed are older guys who haven't used Edwin Jagger. It's much newer a company than Merkur.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

The 34C was my first DE, like many of you. I used it about two weeks before ordering an ATT open comb, which allowed me to actually achieve a close shave. The correct answer for this category, given the price point they're striving for, is the Fatip piccolo, in my opinion.

Not really much there, is there? I'm not even sure what the point of the article is. It talks about all the blood that is let when you first try a safety razor. I've never had that happen, ever. Sure, I've nicked myself but nothing that some alum, or a styptic pencil or a piece of tissue paper couldn't deal with. I've never needed a bandaid. My worst shaving incident was when I was a teen first learning how to shave and after shunning my father's electric started shaving with a Bic disposable and some canned foamin' goo. One day I remember just being way too aggressive with my strokes or I was rushing things because I was late for work. I ended up just sinking the blade into my face. Yeah, I know. With a cartridge. I had a long slim cut that while not requiring a bandaid did require some constant dabbing until it stopped bleeding and left a nice long scab. Couldn't have been that bad since not a single person mentioned it to me. I find all that focus on blood at the outset seems to purposely set a negative tone. Then it's just a very poor history lesson from there. If this is the kind of writing that the WSJ has come to produce, I'm glad I didn't pursue the journalistic profession.

Not really much there, is there? I'm not even sure what the point of the article is. It talks about all the blood that is let when you first try a safety razor. I've never had that happen, ever. Sure, I've nicked myself but nothing that some alum, or a styptic pencil or a piece of tissue paper couldn't deal with. I've never needed a bandaid. My worst shaving incident was when I was a teen first learning how to shave and after shunning my father's electric started shaving with a Bic disposable and some canned foamin' goo. One day I remember just being way too aggressive with my strokes or I was rushing things because I was late for work. I ended up just sinking the blade into my face. Yeah, I know. With a cartridge. I had a long slim cut that while not requiring a bandaid did require some constant dabbing until it stopped bleeding and left a nice long scab. Couldn't have been that bad since not a single person mentioned it to me. I find all that focus on blood at the outset seems to purposely set a negative tone. Then it's just a very poor history lesson from there. If this is the kind of writing that the WSJ has come to produce, I'm glad I didn't pursue the journalistic profession.

My experience mostly mirrors yours. I submit, however, that there are a lot of great journalists out there. God bless them--they're our primary connection to political reality.

My experience mostly mirrors yours. I submit, however, that there are a lot of great journalists out there. God bless them--they're our primary connection to political reality.

So true. I didn't mean to disparage the profession itself. More a comment directed at the given author, although I would guess that the author's editor wanted something to fill some empty space.

So true. I didn't mean to disparage the profession itself. More a comment directed at the given author, although I would guess that the author's editor wanted something to fill some empty space.

Agreed. By the way, your avatar is one of my favorites...

Am I the only person who gets as many cuts from an electric or a cartridge as I do from a DE, and way more irritation? I don't know how often I have heard that it is impossible to cut yourself with an electric, and yet I have. At least I know when I cut myself with a DE razor I just had a good shave. If I cut myself with an electric I still have patches of hair that the razor missed.

Am I the only person who gets as many cuts from an electric or a cartridge as I do from a DE, and way more irritation? I don't know how often I have heard that it is impossible to cut yourself with an electric, and yet I have. At least I know when I cut myself with a DE razor I just had a good shave. If I cut myself with an electric I still have patches of hair that the razor missed.

I can't say that I've cut myself with an electric but I did get tons of irritation. I have definitely nicked myself with a cartridge, especially on my chin. Lately my shaves have been blood free. After four years I think I may be finally getting the hang of this sport.

I wouldn't say "cut", but I would end up with a ton of weepers in my submandibular triangle, which is why I switched from electric to disposables, which helped a lot.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've cut myself plenty of times, and badly, with cartridge razors, but I don't think they're bad.

My tendency it to see this as a badly done WSJ article - largely because it emphasizes BLOOD - but my wife brought me a copy (print copy) from her friend's husband, so at least people are reading it, and connecting it to those of us foolish enough to shave with antiquated and dangerous devices.

Not mentioned are straight razors (which are the best razors of all in my opinion especially for comfort, and the ones least likely to cut me in my experience, not that they can't).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Wishful thinking by Sharon Terlep I suggest but on the whole, a good article. I suppose a scrap yard may take the blades if there was a substantial number.
I string used DE blades on a couple of twist ties bent in a "J" shape. When the stack gets up to 50-100, I twist the twist-ties down,
and add a couple more, making an eminently recyclable lump of steel. This lump goes in the scrap metal bin at a county recycling
center about 2 miles down the road.
Brian C. said:
A spokesman for P&G, which still sells Gillette safety-razor blades, said there was no meaningful shift to safety razors.
Some years ago on another shaving site, at least two people mentioned calling Gillette HQ in Boston. Neither of them could find one person to talk to there who would admit Gillette makes DE blades.

On the exterior of one of the stalls in my company’s bathroom hangs a picture of Mr. Zappa sitting on a toilet...

By coincidence I am sitting in the bus listening to “Son of Orange County” from the album Roxy & Elsewhere as I read this - great, underrated album!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note that the WSJ article does not once cite Badger & Blade or any of its members as source material.

Given this deficiency I proclaim it to be fake news.

By coincidence I am sitting in the bus listening to “Son of Orange County” from the album Roxy & Elsewhere as I read this - great, underrated album!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Under rated? Quite possibly one of Frank’s best bands ever. Village of the Sun. More Trouble Every Day with that amazing drum fill that is also on Genesis’ Seconds Out. Love Roxy.

Top Bottom