What's new

Wow! I never knew this world existed.

New guy here. I found this site though a link on a soap making forum that I frequent. A member over there is also a member here. He posted(quite a while back) about a shaving soap that he made that was a reversed engineered version of Martin de Candre soap(which I have never heard of) that another member here came up with. I've been making soap for 2-3 months, and when I saw that I thought "Heck yes I'm making some shaving soap!" Even though I didn't really know what shaving soap was. :001_smile

So I ordered up the required ingredients that I didn't have and I started doing a bit more research on the soap, which led me here. I never dreamt that there was a place where people were so passionate about shaving. After reading a few threads, it's obvious that there are a lot of really nice guys here.

So anyway, it looks like I'll be trying out this new world of wet shaving. I'm a bit embarrassed to tell you what my current process is(although it's probably the same as the vast majority of men). I'm just using the old can of cream and disposable razors. Lately I've been doing lots of research on soap making, and now it looks like I have more research to do with regard to shaving. Once I get my soap made, I'll let you know how it turns out. I look forward to "meeting" lots of you.

Welcome! Stop by my soap making thread in the shave soap forum and let me know what you think of my recipes and what you would change and or what you're doing currently. I would love to see your recipes also if they're not proprietary. I'm just openly posting all of my recipes that I have made so it helps all the members out here understand what ingredients their face prefers. Some have Tallow some have coconut oil some have lanolin or shea butter. Finding what works best for you is like a light bulb going off and I have to say that shaving will never be the same! Welcome to badgerandblade!

Welcome and if you need any testers for your soap ill be glad to help you out. But really there are lots of knowledgeable people here that can answer just about any question you may have. If your going to be making soap then you need to get yourself a quality brush. A little info about what you might like and we will set you up nicely. Good luck.

Gdawgs,

No need to be embarrassed. With the very few exceptions of those guys who were taught from the get-go to use a brush and mug and blade, we've all had our time with the cans, the carts and the electrics......

Glad to know you found us and thanks to your anonymous "Guide Dawg".

I'm a bit embarrassed to tell you what my current process is(although it's probably the same as the vast majority of men). I'm just using the old can of cream and disposable razors......I look forward to "meeting" lots of you.

Hello and welcome, Gdawgs. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

New guy here. I found this site though a link on a soap making forum that I frequent. A member over there is also a member here. He posted(quite a while back) about a shaving soap that he made that was a reversed engineered version of Martin de Candre soap(which I have never heard of) that another member here came up with. I've been making soap for 2-3 months, and when I saw that I thought "Heck yes I'm making some shaving soap!" Even though I didn't really know what shaving soap was. :001_smile

So I ordered up the required ingredients that I didn't have and I started doing a bit more research on the soap, which led me here. I never dreamt that there was a place where people were so passionate about shaving. After reading a few threads, it's obvious that there are a lot of really nice guys here.

So anyway, it looks like I'll be trying out this new world of wet shaving. I'm a bit embarrassed to tell you what my current process is(although it's probably the same as the vast majority of men). I'm just using the old can of cream and disposable razors. Lately I've been doing lots of research on soap making, and now it looks like I have more research to do with regard to shaving. Once I get my soap made, I'll let you know how it turns out. I look forward to "meeting" lots of you.

Glade you foound us and glad you are here! :thumbup:

Welcome! Stop by my soap making thread in the shave soap forum and let me know what you think of my recipes and what you would change and or what you're doing currently. I would love to see your recipes also if they're not proprietary. I'm just openly posting all of my recipes that I have made so it helps all the members out here understand what ingredients their face prefers. Some have Tallow some have coconut oil some have lanolin or shea butter. Finding what works best for you is like a light bulb going off and I have to say that shaving will never be the same! Welcome to badgerandblade!
[MENTION=110822]Gdawgs[/MENTION] you can find [MENTION=108263]rockclimber[/MENTION] 's thread here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/490160-My-Soap-Making-Adventure

rockclimer's thread is very interesting. I have been following it since the beginning. One day, I too aspire to make some home made bath and shave soap.

Also, I just want to say...Welcome to Badger & Blade! We are very happy that you stopped on by and decided to become a member. As a new member, you are eligible for our Weekly Blade PIF found here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...r-for-your-chance-to-win!-June-11th-June-18th

Just say "I'm in" and next weekend you could win a blade sampler! Once again...welcome to B&B!

Welcome Gdawgs! You've come to a great forum, frequented by some of the finest people in the world. Any advice or help that you're looking for can be found throughout the forums. Good luck, and thanks for joining us. :thumbup1:

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Rockclimber, I've been reading through your soap thread. Great info! I'm going to start simple and go with something that sounds like it works well. Ha, none of my recipes are proprietary. I'm very new to soap making, so I'm still learning the basics.

Here's what I'm going with.
52% Stearic Acid
48% Coconut Oil
Saponified with KOH
5% Superfat
Add 3 Tbsp of glycerin/lb oil at the end of cook.

I'm going to scent it with Brambleberry's "Shave and a Haircut". I love it.

This recipe came from this thread a few years ago.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...n-Illustrated-Guide-to-a-Test-Batch-LONG-POST

There's also a continuation monster thread over on Soap Making Forum that has many modifications to it(or at least recommended suggestions).
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=34264

Last edited:
Top Bottom