What's new

Wow! I haven't seen that before.

I was tooling around to look at some badger/boar mixed brushes and landed on several UK-based sites that sell Vulfix. At the end of the page a note about age-restricted products was given. Apparently in the UK it's illegal to buy razors or razor blades if you are under the age of 18 - see below. Amazing, you can get married or join the army at 16. In order to buy a razor or beer you have to wait to age 18. And then people complain about all the unshaven youths - it's actually the clean shaven well trimmed ones who are breaking the law! I wonder if it's illegal to buy razor blades and give to someone under 18 in the UK!

Age Restricted Products. It is illegal to purchase razor blades and razors in the UK when under the age of 18. By purchasing through our website you are confirming that you are over the age of 18 when purchasing these items. We use age verification services and reserve the right to cancel your order if you are under 18.

If I remember correctly, it was at Lexington and Concord where the British were marching on the colonists supply of GSB that really turned things ugly.

Int
I was tooling around to look at some badger/boar mixed brushes and landed on several UK-based sites that sell Vulfix. At the end of the page a note about age-restricted products was given. Apparently in the UK it's illegal to buy razors or razor blades if you are under the age of 18 - see below. Amazing, you can get married or join the army at 16. In order to buy a razor or beer you have to wait to age 18. And then people complain about all the unshaven youths - it's actually the clean shaven well trimmed ones who are breaking the law! I wonder if it's illegal to buy razor blades and give to someone under 18 in the UK!

Age Restricted Products. It is illegal to purchase razor blades and razors in the UK when under the age of 18. By purchasing through our website you are confirming that you are over the age of 18 when purchasing these items. We use age verification services and reserve the right to cancel your order if you are under 18.

Interesting point!

Guess that it is similar to the situation here: we can enlist in the Army before buying legal alcohol.

In order to buy a razor or beer you have to wait to age 18.
Cartridge razors are not restricted to age nor are the replacement cartridge heads; as long as the blade exposure is under 2mm. I am sure the boys and girls out there are happily using cartridges. As far as I know, you can still buy a DE razor (excluding blades) but without the blades it would be impossible to use it unless an adult supplied them.
As a side note, under 18s still need the parents consent to get married or join the army.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
They even have public disposal bins for used blades. :117:

bin-a-blade-bin2.jpg

Yep welcome to the Nanny State. Some of our rules and regulations kind of make sense when you consider the situations they were meant to mitigate, but then when you view them in a wider context you realize the way they're applied is often silly, and could have come right out of a Monty Python sketch.

A few weeks ago I bought a pack of top-up cutlery at the supermarket, and couldn't get through the checkout until my age had been verified (I'm 52 BTW) by staff. The problem of course was the knives - and these weren't steak knives mind you - just the blunt, round-ended kind that could maybe make it through a thin slice of boiled ham.

The silliest thing was when I got a packet of peanuts out of Sainsburys. "Warning - this product may contain nuts". I mean it says peanuts on the label - why the uncertainty?

It's unfortunate but I think the labelling laws are a product of litigious and stupid consumers. The laws have to protect the stupidest among us and they have to ensure that the manufacturer cannot be held liable for any harm that arises from the misuse of their products. In other words, we, as a species, are responsible for the stupidity of the laws that govern us. After all, they were written by people not aliens. :)

B

Barney14

The way some of our young people are it's perhaps best they are not allowed to play with sharp objects.

The teenage UK half wit is a sight to behold.

What year is your Commando?

Although I am not aware of age restrictions on purchasing razor blades in Illinois, there are restriction on knives, including folding pocket knives. Here, it is illegal to sell or distribute a knife to anyone under the age of 18 if that knife has a blade length of 2" or longer. It is also illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to carry a concealed blade longer than 2". Thus, in Illinois it would be illegal for a boy scout to carry a Buck 110 Folding Hunter knife in his pocket or backpack, even though a version of that knife sporting the scout logo is licensed by BSA. Presumably, if the knife were carried openly, it would be legal. Even a smaller pocket knife like the Old Timer 23 OT has a 2.4" blade, so it would be illegal for anyone under 18 to carry one in their pocket. When I was a boy scout many years ago, carrying such knives was commonplace; every boy had one.

Although I am not aware of age restrictions on purchasing razor blades in Illinois, there are restriction on knives, including folding pocket knives. Here, it is illegal to sell or distribute a knife to anyone under the age of 18 if that knife has a blade length of 2" or longer. It is also illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to carry a concealed blade longer than 2". Thus, in Illinois it would be illegal for a boy scout to carry a Buck 110 Folding Hunter knife in his pocket or backpack, even though a version of that knife sporting the scout logo is licensed by BSA. Presumably, if the knife were carried openly, it would be legal. Even a smaller pocket knife like the Old Timer 23 OT has a 2.4" blade, so it would be illegal for anyone under 18 to carry one in their pocket. When I was a boy scout many years ago, carrying such knives was commonplace; every boy had one.
did not know that. I'm passed the age where it matters for me, but I will have to keep this in mind when buying a knife for my grandson.

Top Bottom