What's new

World cup football/soccer.

I am sceptical about Lampard, he assembled a lot of players at Chelsea but could not get them to gel as a team. He is struggling at Everton too but then they don't have an open cheque book. He does have an advantage in that he was a goal scoring midfielder during his playing days so I think his style of play would be far better than Southgate.
Well hopefully it will soon be time for a change, and good luck to ever gets the job

Talking of change. I remember Stan Matthews telling a story years ago, and it’s also mentioned in his Autobiography.
It goes something like -
Stan was travelling up to hampden by train for the Scotland - England game, and decided to have a cup of tea and a scone and claim it on expenses.
He was carpeted by the FA and asked to explain what the extra sixpence was for on his expenses.
Stan explained that it was for a cup of tea and a scone.
The FA official said Listen Matthews you’re paid £14 to represent England. If you feel the need for refreshment that’s your business, just don’t expect the FA to pay for it.

Ronaldo really is a piece of work. He's just claimed one of his teammate's goals that he very clearly didn't touch, and run off celebrating like he headed it.

Bet that one gets changed after the game and re-assigned to Bruno Fernandes.
What was that about. I watched the replay at different angles. I honestly couldn't find where he touched the ball

The USMNT-Iran game tomorrow should be insane... both one helluva match and one w/a ton of subtext beyond the political. Did you see the interview w/former USMNT coach Jurgen Klinsmann about how Iran plays?

Executive summary: they cheat blatantly. Iran was not amused, to say the very least.

But, that being said, the greatest team name in sports, maybe ever, belongs to L'équipe du Cameroun de football, the Camaroon National Football Team: Les Lions Indomptables, aka The Indominable Lions. How can anyone possibly top that?

-Z

Even in real time and from the comfort of my sofa it was fairly obvious.

Now to compound matters Uruguay have brought Suarez on. Wouldn't it be nice if both teams 2nd lose...4
It doesn't surprise me that the egoistical diver Ronaldo tried to take the credit for a teammates goal, but what does surprise me, is that Suarez didn't try to bite him. :biggrin1:

Last edited by a moderator:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Desperately, desperately dreary game otherwise though. Argentina are not looking good. :(
cotedupy:
But you do have to admit...
Messi's Mistel-toe for X-Mas saves Argentina...'huge' 1st goal...the whole stadium / pitch was then w/ his emotion (was it energy, synergy, unity? Big 'shot in the arm' for Argentina)!🦶🎄🎅⚽

1669701064535.jpeg

proxy.php
"You have to show up in the World Cup, and in the World Cup anything can happen". Lionel Messi

Last edited:
Lineups are out, looks like the same US lineup that started against Wales with 1 change in center defense. Walker Zimmerman is out, he was a rock through qualifying but conceded the PK. Carter-Vickers I've only seen play a few times, but from what I understand he's been excellent for Celtic. Hoping Sargent at CF can find his club form for the US. Let's go!

Nice win by Senegal in the first games!

Lineups are out, looks like the same US lineup that started against Wales with 1 change in center defense. Walker Zimmerman is out, he was a rock through qualifying but conceded the PK. Carter-Vickers I've only seen play a few times, but from what I understand he's been excellent for Celtic. Hoping Sargent at CF can find his club form for the US. Let's go!

Nice win by Senegal in the first games!
Good luck 👍

The USMNT-Iran game tomorrow should be insane... both one helluva match and one w/a ton of subtext beyond the political. Did you see the interview w/former USMNT coach Jurgen Klinsmann about how Iran plays?

Executive summary: they cheat blatantly. Iran was not amused, to say the very least.

But, that being said, the greatest team name in sports, maybe ever, belongs to L'équipe du Cameroun de football, the Camaroon National Football Team: Les Lions Indomptables, aka The Indominable Lions. How can anyone possibly top that?

-Z

Blimey. I hadn't seen this before you posted it.

I am very surprised the BBC allowed Klinsmann to get away with that. He's on extremely dodgy ground there for any number of reasons.

Well this is a shame. Poor old Wales are a better side than they've shown in this tournament.

Hot take... USA surprise everyone by downing first the Netherlands and then Argentina in a plucky, albeit slightly dull and low-scoring, run to the semis before finally being stopped by Spain/Brazil who put five goals past them without reply.

Well this is a shame. Poor old Wales are a better side than they've shown in this tournament.

Hot take... USA surprise everyone by downing first the Netherlands and then Argentina in a plucky, albeit slightly dull and low-scoring, run to the semis before finally being stopped by Spain/Brazil who put five goals past them without reply.
I can't believe that Wales have played so poor in every match, we thrashed Austria in in the first qualifier, beat Ukraine in the play off, and in between drew with Belgium and show up at the world cup looking like the worst team there, yet tanked 19 in the world. I will be sending a letter to the Welsh fa asking for a new manager 😊
England should have scored 10

"All of this comes down to one thing: Working hard, and getting back to basics."

Insightful stuff there from top UK footy pundit Rio Ferdinand. Famous of course for his years marshalling the West Ham, Leeds, and Manchester United defences, as well as being the most highly-paid person in the country who can't count past the number one.

I feel like I just aged 5 years.

I’d love to see that, but we need to learn to play with a lead. The second half was a little better than the second half against Wales, but the last half hour was still very shaky. 😬

"All of this comes down to one thing: Working hard, and getting back to basics."

Insightful stuff there from top UK footy pundit Rio Ferdinand. Famous of course for his years marshalling the West Ham, Leeds, and Manchester United defences, as well as being the most highly-paid person in the country who can't count past the number one.
🤣

Tough for Wales but I’d rather lose 3-0 than 1-0 in this sort of competition. At least there are no ‘if-only’s. And even if Wales had beaten Iran they’d still be out. USA were good enough to qualify from the group.

Still, if Wales had just scored seven more goals today and Iran had got an equaliser, Wales would have been through. It’s the slimmest of margins.

Top Bottom