What's new

World cup football/soccer.

Screenshot_20221218_185523.jpg

That man needs a chiropractor. His back must hurt from carrying that whole team.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I enjoyed the game so much I watched it over again but not quite the same, but still enjoyable. It is fun to see the expressions of the fans also, they are true lovers of the game and willing to spend huge amounts of money to see the game in person.

Absolute scenes here in Spain too. My nerves were comprehensively shredded, and I’m not sure I would have forgiven football if Argentina had lost.

That Messi is the greatest we all knew. The things he could do when he was at Barca were way beyond what anyone else has ever been able to - Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo - none of them were even close. He operated at a level no one has known, or could comprehend.

I’ll try to dig out the clip but there’s an excellent bit of video where Titi Henry talks about his favourite Messi goal. When you first watch it the one he chooses looks good, but not particularly remarkable, though it happens so quickly it’s hard to tell. Only when broken down in slow motion and explained, do you see that what Messi does should not be possible. The clip ends with Henry simply lost for words, the only conclusion he can find is a mastery of bewildered understatement: ‘That’s not normal.’

It was already obvious that Leo was the best. What Sunday night did more than anything was to confirm it to himself, and achieve redemption for 2016.

Last edited:
And I think one must also be equally happy that Mbappe won the Golden Boot. He was simply awesome throughout the tournament, and is easily the best player in the world currently.

You couldn’t have written a better final.

And I think one must also be equally happy that Mbappe won the Golden Boot. He was simply awesome throughout the tournament, and is easily the best player in the world currently.

You couldn’t have written a better final.
This tournament felt, in part, like a handing over of the baton from Messi to Mbappe. It was great to see Messi play so well and lift the trophy, but Mbappe looks like the future. Ronaldo, I guess, discovered his limitations and his career is drawing to a close, particularly with no top level club football in sight.

But it wasn’t just about Messi and Mbappe. Both of these teams are strong throughout.

I don’t agree with the comment earlier in the thread that Mbappe carries France - there are some amazing players in that team and Giroud is special. Mbappe did nothing for the first 80 minutes of the final - he wasn’t carrying anyone.

Top Bottom