What's new

World cup football/soccer.

Not sure where to post this, so feel free to move it mods if you wish. Anyone here looking forward to this, Wales have made the finals for the first time since 1958, where a certain player called Pele helped knock them out in the quarter finals. I am genuinely excited that my country are at the finals, I have been following the team since I was young, we made the last two European finals, once getting to the semi final, but this is the big one, and if we go out in the group stage, I don't care 🙂. And our first game is against the USA.

I’m excited for it! I might be an anomaly on this side of the pond, at least in the age groups that most frequent this forum, but I’ve been playing on and off since I was a kid in the ‘70s and still play keeper now. I’d say I was a casual USA fan in 1990 and ‘94, but really got into it during the qualifiers for 1998.

I’m excited for this team, we have a really strong core of young players doing well at some top teams for the first time. This group might still be 4 years away from their prime, but I’m hopeful we can get out of the group and see what happens from there.

What should I expect to see from Wales, @taffy? Besides Gareth Bale. I’m familiar with him. 🙂

Well its a hard group as all four teams are currently in the FIFA top 20 rankings, the only group that has that statistic in this world cup.
Well go back 13odd years and Wales were ranked outside of the top 100, they hired a Welsh legend called John toshack who basically started throwing very young players into the squad (including bale), who had no experience, but my he knew years down the line the team would mature together. He left with not a very good win ratio, but the next manager Gary Speed another legend, came in modernized the whole association, and wanted the fans to be active with the team as one family, and the team matured together, the saddest part of being a Welsh football fan was living through the the suicide of Gary Speed, still upsets me talking about it now. His photo is always shown on the big screen when we play at home, as all this success is down to this legend. His best friend took over as manager, Chris Coleman and they were flying, all these young players who were brought in years ago are now top class players, arron Ramsey, joe Allen, bale, Hennessy and we are still picking youngsters, Johnson, James, to name a few. You asked what you need to know about Wales, when Gary Speed tragically passed away the whole nation went into shock, a side that had risen from the depths of world football into an exciting young team and a exciting young manager to lead them, but the team coined the phrase "together stronger", which is how we all (players and fans), stick together through good and bad times, this is the most important part of welsh football, we don't ever give up 😉

Thanks for that, @taffy!

the saddest part of being a Welsh football fan was living through the the suicide of Gary Speed, still upsets me talking about it now. His photo is always shown on the big screen when we play at home, as all this success is down to this legend.
Wow, that's terrible, I had no idea. Tragic.

You asked what you need to know about Wales, when Gary Speed tragically passed away the whole nation went into shock, a side that had risen from the depths of world football into an exciting young team and a exciting young manager to lead them, but the team coined the phrase "together stronger", which is how we all (players and fans), stick together through good and bad times, this is the most important part of welsh football, we don't ever give up 😉
That sounds a lot like USA teams of years past. Those teams all the way up through 2014 were always greater than the sum of the parts. We'll have to see if that still holds this time around. With the talent we have, we probably should have qualified a lot easier than we did. But it's a young team, likely the youngest in the tournament I read. Only 1 guy from our 2014 squad has any chance of making the trip. I guess we'll know soon, our roster is supposed to be announced today I think!

Thanks for that, @taffy!

That sounds a lot like USA teams of years past. Those teams all the way up through 2014 were always greater than the sum of the parts. We'll have to see if that still holds this time around. With the talent we have, we probably should have qualified a lot easier than we did. But it's a young team, likely the youngest in the tournament I read. Only 1 guy from our 2014 squad has any chance of making the trip. I guess we'll know soon, our roster is supposed to be announced today I think!
Great reply, a lot in common it sounds as we should have qualified far easier than having to go through the Play offs and then the Play of final against..... Ukraine which the rest of the world wanted us to loose.

Thanks for that, @taffy!

When our manager Chris Coleman decided to resign after his successful rein, Wales appointment Ryan Giggs, who, if you don't know is one of the greatest football players of the last few decades, played all his career with man UTD and won every trophy you can win, captained Wales and a role model for young footballer's. He continued with throwing very young talent into the team, half of today's team, got Wales playing a attractive attacking style of football, got them to the European finals, then was accused of attacking his girlfriend, sent to trial, suspended and finally had to resign this year, all part of welsh football 😂the caretaker manager took over and got Wales through to the world cup, and now he is the full time coach. Together/stronger 💪😊

Thanks for that, @taffy!

There is currently a documentry on BBC Wales about the rise of the Welsh football team, last week was about Gary Speed, I had to turn over as its still so raw.

When our manager Chris Coleman decided to resign after his successful rein, Wales appointment Ryan Giggs, who, if you don't know is one of the greatest football players of the last few decades, played all his career with man UTD and won every trophy you can win, captained Wales and a role model for young footballer's.
Yep, I'm familiar with Giggs. I don't follow any teams in Europe very closely (Sporting Kansas City is my team, no MLS team where I live but I liked going to SKC games when I lived there), but I follow Americans abroad and can't help but hear about some of the other big names, Giggs being one of them. 🙂

There is currently a documentry on BBC Wales about the rise of the Welsh football team, last week was about Gary Speed, I had to turn over as its still so raw.
Cool, I'll have to check if Netflix or someone over here has it.

The USA roster is being announced in about 4 hours. I could guess most of it, but I'll be interested to see some of the names, especially at forward. Center forward has been a weak spot, but we have several forwards who are now in excellent form, though generally not at top clubs/leagues.

Yep, I'm familiar with Giggs. I don't follow any teams in Europe very closely (Sporting Kansas City is my team, no MLS team where I live but I liked going to SKC games when I lived there), but I follow Americans abroad and can't help but hear about some of the other big names, Giggs being one of them. 🙂

Cool, I'll have to check if Netflix or someone over here has it.

The USA roster is being announced in about 4 hours. I could guess most of it, but I'll be interested to see some of the names, especially at forward. Center forward has been a weak spot, but we have several forwards who are now in excellent form, though generally not at top clubs/leagues.
I think you do have a very good squad.

A couple of surprises at the margins, but nobody likely to see a lot of minutes. Biggest surprise was our presumed #2 keeper Zach Steffen left off, otherwise maybe just a couple of depth picks at forward and midfield.

I’m excited, can’t wait for the games to start!!!

A couple of surprises at the margins, but nobody likely to see a lot of minutes. Biggest surprise was our presumed #2 keeper Zach Steffen left off, otherwise maybe just a couple of depth picks at forward and midfield.

I’m excited, can’t wait for the games to start!!!
I will raise a beer to you the night our two countries meet.

Although I’m Welsh (North Wales) and it’s great that we’ve finally qualified for the World Cup Finals again after many near misses, I’m afraid I’m not a great lover of international although I’ll probably watch a few games. I find the matches aren’t as entertaining as club football and hate it when the Premier League stops for an international break. I used to watch Wales play regularly at the Racecourse Ground many years ago but as time has gone on I find the nationalistic nature of international football (or any sport) not to my taste but that’s just me. The Brazil side of 82 were a different kettle of fish, what a team they were.

Well you 'mericans are looking pretty swish if that first half is anything to go by!

Timothy Weah's goal was very good indeed, immaculately timed run and clinical finish.

Well you 'mericans are looking pretty swish if that first half is anything to go by!

Timothy Weah's goal was very good indeed, immaculately timed run and clinical finish.
Second best team second half though, if we had played with a striker first half that would have been our game.

Top Bottom