What's new

Working method, to remove wax spots from blades?

Once again, I had a very hard time removing it from my nicely nickel plated Gillette. If you had a new car with mud and tar stuck to it, wouldn't you want to clean it? I think everyone who has a nice razor wants it to look nice as well.

I know this question was asked here like 100 times before, but i still haven't found any solid solution, so please hear me out. It was never a big problem for me while using Muhle R98 razor, especially when i started to use type of blades, who doesn't have these sticky spots. :biggrin1: But it just so happened that i've bought myself Feather AS D2 and started to use GSB blades with it (and they are notorious for those spots, like any other russian blades...). While i can tolerate that with razor like R89, Feather's head are just so made, that waxy blade always literally sticks to the base plate pretty good and must be removed with like pocked knife or something. Now that just looks dangerous, silly and kind of overkill for me, really drives me crazy. :thumbdown Best method that would actually work is to scrape that wax with an old blade, but then again, on GSB blades those spots are sometimes on edge it self or too darn close to it. What else can i try? Hot water just doesn't work.
I know that cleaning blades before loading is an overkill as well, but i still would prefer it this way if possible, less gunk in the razor at least. :001_unsur

The easy solution is just to dip the razor with the blade still in it in 90% Isopropyl alcohol. I do it after every shave and then shake the excess back into the jar and put the razor away. It dries the razor in seconds, and 99% of any bacteria that might take up residence on the blade which is nice perk.

Actually, I'm one of those Excalibur club weirdos who goes for 50+ uses for each blade. Because I have so many razors in rotation, the same blade might be expected to go up to a year in between uses. To avoid losing blade sharpness to corrosion, I formulated a "blade life extending dip". Here is a picture of my dipping jar. In that photo, it was super full. I only keep about 1cm of liquid in it now, which lasts me about 6 months. At any rate, the wax dots disappear pretty quick. I never see again after I put them in the razor. After I dip it, the alcohol flashes off after 30 seconds or so, and leaves behind a protective coating glycerin that inhibits oxidation quite impressively. You can see in the second picture the tiny little dots that bead up on the smooth chrome. It stays looking just like that for over a year, but because gylcerin is water soluble, it just washes off with just a splash of water. Take a look at the photos of how effective just alcohol, glycerin, and lemon essential oil are!

I wouldn't expect anybody else to bother with the other ingredients, but the jar came from Walmart and was $2.00. I think it looks pretty nice in my shave den, and it would solve your wax problem with just a 2 second dip.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It doesn't remove it completely but it does seem to reduce it and soften up what remains. More importantly, you couldn't get the blade to stick to the razor with epoxy after the glycerin films over on it. The OP has a "razor blade sticking to AS D2" problem, not a "wax dot" problem. I think just alcohol might be enough to keep the blade from sticking in a way that makes blade removal problematic for him.

I think the OP should buy a $2.50 bottle of 90% isopropyl, dip his razor in it with the cap on loose so the alcohol can get onto the dots, tighten it up, and see if that fixes the problem. If the $2.50 alcohol doesn't fix the problem, the $3.00 glycerin sure as hell will. Think about how "slick" and "greasy" your face feels after you use a glycerin based after-shave. Well that slickness lasts for months on chromed steel.

Once again, I had a very hard time removing it from my nicely nickel plated Gillette. If you had a new car with mud and tar stuck to it, wouldn't you want to clean it? I think everyone who has a nice razor wants it to look nice as well.

Wax is not tar. Most people like having wax on their cars. They even pay for it.

I never understood how wax would build up. It does not hang on in hot water.

Me neither. A little hot water (like many people use while shaving) and the "problem" is solved.

Wax is not tar. Most people like having wax on their cars. They even pay for it.

Wax is nice on a car not on a razor.

Me neither. A little hot water (like many people use while shaving) and the "problem" is solved.

Not so, I ran it under hot water while rubbing it and the wax still remained.

Ye gods people worry about silly stuff! If 90% isopropyl doesn't take it off, use a dab of paint thinner on a soft cloth once in a while.

I have far more trouble with soap scum than I do with wax from the paper around the blade.

Ye gods people worry about silly stuff! If 90% isopropyl doesn't take it off, use a dab of paint thinner on a soft cloth once in a while.
I have far more trouble with soap scum than I do with wax from the paper around the blade.

I found olive oil does the trick. As far as soap scum goes, you can't beat "Scrubbing Bubbles".

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you do not have olive oil I have used Castor oil with a Qtip for reasonable results!

Top Bottom