What's new

Working method, to remove wax spots from blades?

Why not get yourself a different blade if it bothers you this much? There are others that don't put any wax on the blade.

+1. Is there any data suggesting this is problem? Do not think companies would add something that would hurt performance.

I use both Gillette Silver Blue's and Voskhod exclusively. Both of these typically have the wax dots on them, which have always disappeared well before the first shave with the blades are finished.

I have had a similar issue with GSBs sticking to the doors on TTO razors. The problem always sorted itself out after a few shaves and, since I don't remove a blade until it's done, was never much of a concern.

I'm assuming you take the blade out after every shave? Which is fine if it works for you. Maybe soaking a blade in hot, near boiling water for a period of time will remove enough of the wax so that it isn't a problem.

I don't understand why scraping it off with the old blade doesn't work for you. I used to do it with blades and it worked just fine. I used to hold the old blade, carefully of course, and just scrape down the side of the new blade getting underneath the was and lifting it off. It always came off easily and I had a blade with no was on it to use. Are you saying you can't get it come off even if you scrape it with the edge of an old blade?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Never noticed the wax spots until started reading the multitudinous posts regarding them. Now there's one under every single bed. The alternatives aren't attractive, so guess we should shave on, even with a bit of melted wax on our faces.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the blade manufacturers to use wax to secure razor blades in wax paper. And like that, he was gone.

Why not get yourself a different blade if it bothers you this much? There are others that don't put any wax on the blade.

+1. Definitely safer to try another blade IMO. Too much risk of a cut IMO, especially with a sharp blade.

simple method is to take a qtip soaked in olive oil or castor oil or any preshave oil and rub the spots with the qtip, removes them easily.

I was more OCD in the beginning and tried different methods to remove it. My advice is ignore it. In 6 years I have yet to find wax on a blade (even on the edge) making any difference in the shave.

My Gillette NEW that I had nickle plated was loaded with wax from a GSB blade. I could not get the wax off. I thought it ruined the plating. Then I tried olive oil with a Q-tip and it worked. Seems that is the best way to clean your razor after the mess is made.

Top Bottom