What's new

Wooden Knobbed Progress and Brushes

Nice job! now what about those killer brushes, did you make those as well? I really like that one next to the razor.
Cheers, DJ.

Nicely done! I picked up a midi lathe just for projects like these. It's a huge difference over my full sized model.

Dinder1 said:
Nice job! now what about those killer brushes, did you make those as well? I really like that one next to the razor.
Cheers, DJ.
I just made that one yesterday, it's not finish, the knot is just sitting in the socket. It still need additional coats of Tung oil then the knot needs to be epoxied in.

cooncatbob said:
I just need to get a drill chuck to fit in the headstock of my lathe, I've never really needed one be for. They're about $35 new but I'll look on ebay.

Why go thru the hassle, im sure you the B&B folks are willing to buy you one if you are going to Pimp their Progress ? Like people sending their progress to you and you Pimp it.

I didnt get a progress because of that $%#$#% Knob so I went Gillette style.
your quite the "Handyman ? "

You need to put out a selection of knobs in various precious woods.. Then you could start a small biz, "Bob's Knobs!":tongue_sm

I got my drill chuck today do I mounted my Progress knob and cleaned it up. It was a little lopsided and chunky.
You can't just make Knobs for the Progress out of wood, they're too thin at the top. The wood blank has to be glued to the knob stem then the whole thing has to be mounted in the lathe and turned.

Bob,

You need to hook up with Bill Ellis and Vlad over at SRP. You could make some amazing straight razor scales!

Randy

htownmmm said:
So what's the cost for a 'knobbed' progress?

Marty

You would need to send me the whole end knob assembly. I would have to cut the plastic knob off, epoxy a wood blank to the knob assembly. Then turn and finish the knob.
It's more time consuming then making a razor rack with more chance for error, I broke 2 knobs, but I have upgraded my equipment.
I'd have to say $25 and that includes me shipping the knob back to you.
Lot of money for a little knob, but it's a bit of work.
Bob.

Shipping - $5
Materials - $5
Skilled Labor - $15 (probably for a minimum of 2 hours of work)

That is a bargain! If I had a Progress, I would send it to you. If I buy one, you'll hear from me.

cooncatbob said:
You would need to send me the whole end knob assembly. I would have to cut the plastic knob off, epoxy a wood blank to the knob assembly. Then turn and finish the knob.
It's more time consuming then making a razor rack with more chance for error, I broke 2 knobs, but I have upgraded my equipment.
I'd have to say $25 and that includes me shipping the knob back to you.
Lot of money for a little knob, but it's a bit of work.
Bob.

Bob, sounds like a bargain to me.

Top Bottom