What's new

DIY brass and wood handle build

Was looking to create my first custom razor handle. At this point I'm just working through design and fabrication how to. Looking for insight or ideas on a common man's build. I unfortunately don't own a lathe or any large scale fabricating tools so I'm trying to come up with a way to craft this using what most people have in their shop. My idea is to use 1/2 brass round stock for the socket and base and then koa wood for the handle center. My plan is to turn the brass stock to shape using metal files and a vise clamped drill as my lathe. This will be the challenging part as I think the run out on my drill chuck might make it difficult to turn it true, but hopefully I can work around it. Once dimensional I would fully drill out the head piece, and then partially drill out the base, tapping both to 10/32. I have a dowel jig that I would use to give myself a 1/2" koa wood dowel. I would then drill the wood out just bigger to have a #10 screw pass through. Next I would use 10/32 brass all thread to join brass top, passing through the wooden dowel, and into bottom piece. Both pieces would tighten down on the all thread securing the dowel and still having room on top to receive the top cap post. My plan is go full polish on the brass, and wax impregnate the wood handle (for grip and water resistance). Hopefully my drawing explains it a little more (excuse the chicken scratch).
IMG_20220324_204437.jpg
Open to all ideas and suggestions! Will start the project tomorrow and will update thread with progress pics!

Update #1
I was right about the drill run out being a challenge. My first attempt was with an 18v cordless drill and I experienced a lot of chuck wobble while using files to remove material. I couldn't apply adequate pressure and this resulted in an uneven turn/piece diameter. I also attempted to cut off the piece by hand, which also wasn't a perfectly true cut. This first piece was scrapped.

After thinking it through last night, I decided I needed a rest so that the rod was supported closer to the work surface, also more turn speed. Today I used a corded drill and cut a 2x4 with a half inch notch as a rest. With this new faster and sturdier set up I could apply much more pressure and evenly remove material. The head piece took a while but with a half round fine file I achieved the shape I was after. I then followed it with varying grits of sandpaper to remove scratches and bring it to finish dimensions. I used a hack saw for my groove cuts in both pieces. I then used the hacksaw to cut off the round stock while in my "lathe". This gave me a straight and clean cut.

Next I decided to make the wooden portion of the handle. I wanted the overall handle length to be 3 1/2". Once subtracting the total length of both brass piece I needed a wooden length 2 1/4". I attempted to hammer a rough cut piece through a dowel jig however the surface was much rougher than I wanted and not true due to uneven exit angle. After 2 attempts on different pieces of wood I realized I need bring it to dimenions with something other than the jig. I instead used the jig to make 5/8" rough dowel and then taper the end to 1/2". I then inserted it into my cordless drill and using sandpaper brought the whole piece to a finished 1/2" and finally cutting with a chop saw to my finished 2 1/4".

Both brass pieces and dowel need to be drilled out next, then threading for the brass. Still need final polish for all, and wax impregnation for the wood. Happy with the results so far though. Any input is appreciated as I'm more or less figuring it out as I go. Will update again after the next step!

Also, what is a post without pictures!

Attachments

• IMG_20220326_134429__01.jpg
    IMG_20220326_134429__01.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220326_135301__01.jpg
    IMG_20220326_135301__01.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220326_153153__01.jpg
    IMG_20220326_153153__01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220326_144328__01.jpg
    IMG_20220326_144328__01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220326_144130__01.jpg
    IMG_20220326_144130__01.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220326_153118__01.jpg
    IMG_20220326_153118__01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Yes, I've been noticing some real strangeness with this site, to the 10th powered squared. This site has been operating perfectly until today, I went to bed to get some sleep, woke up, and the sites down See, I leave you guys for a few hours, and the whole place goes up, I tell ya. 🤣

I like this guys home made lathe, its clear its a wired drill with a standard chunk, that is clamped in a vise. Most of us have drills and vises, so this is something we could do. However, I am not an inventor, I don't make stuff, I'm a mechanic, I fix stuff the manufactures did a poor job of making.

When he mentioned that he was going to use wood in the handle in his previous post, I was amazed after I saw his picture, because that is exactly how I pictured that he would have done the wooden bit, in between the pieces of brass. Glad to see our minds are aligned. :yesnod:

For my first handle I think this is the best approach. I'm very curious what the final product will weigh in at. I drilled all pieces and tapped brass ends. Just waiting on threaded brass rod to arrive now. Last step is final sand, and wood finish. Will update with final weight and completion pictures!
IMG_20220327_185645__01.jpg
IMG_20220327_185627__01.jpg

Another update. Brass rod finally came in today and I was able to mock up my final set up. Unfortunately the irregularities in my wood dowel were highlighted when assembled. I had an uneven turn width despite my best hand sanding. My thought now is to turn the wood piece to shape using the "lathe" set up. This way I can make sure it is perfectly round and true. This will be the next step to complete the set up.

Now once put together though I could not wait to take it for a test drive. I loaded up my brush with a new Captains Choice soap that arrived today and was blown away with the shave results. The balance on the razor was superb. I paired it with a Charcoal Goods Lvl 2 brass head and it felt like it was made for it. Great shave, much more of a head forward weight which lead to more delicate grip and better control.

Handle total weight was 42g. Will update with final sanding/polish pics after new wood handle portion is built. 🤙

IMG_20220331_180427__01.jpg
IMG_20220331_180410__01.jpg
IMG_20220331_182410__01.jpg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Another update. Brass rod finally came in today and I was able to mock up my final set up. Unfortunately the irregularities in my wood dowel were highlighted when assembled. I had an uneven turn width despite my best hand sanding. My thought now is to turn the wood piece to shape using the "lathe" set up. This way I can make sure it is perfectly round and true. This will be the next step to complete the set up.

Now once put together though I could not wait to take it for a test drive. I loaded up my brush with a new Captains Choice soap that arrived today and was blown away with the shave results. The balance on the razor was superb. I paired it with a Charcoal Goods Lvl 2 brass head and it felt like it was made for it. Great shave, much more of a head forward weight which lead to more delicate grip and better control.

Handle total weight was 42g. Will update with final sanding/polish pics after new wood handle portion is built. 🤙

View attachment 1432463View attachment 1432462View attachment 1432464

Oh my gosh, I love it! 😍 You have done such a great job already, this is what I pictured in my mind that it would be. Its a symbol of refinement, for a civilized man. Congrats!

Top Bottom