What's new

Wooden bread bowl: Care? Use?

Good news!

A white vinegar wash can help strip it out.:thumbup1:

Really? Why didn't I think of that? I just scrubbed until it didn't come out any more (it needed to be used ASAP). But there still is some on the outside bottom. Just rub it down with white vinegar?

Really? Why didn't I think of that? I just scrubbed until it didn't come out any more (it needed to be used ASAP). But there still is some on the outside bottom. Just rub it down with white vinegar?

Sure. I would also "seal the wood" with the Mineral oil/ beeswax mix.

I've got the mineral oil, but I'd have to hunt down the beeswax. How would you apply them together?

Oh, you'd melt the wax in the oil, right?

Don't know why it wasn't that obvious to me at first. I make lotion with (among other things) emulsifying wax melted in olive oil.

Last edited:
I've got the mineral oil, but I'd have to hunt down the beeswax. How woud you apply them together?

Melt the wax and mix the oil right in until it looks like butter- a couple of coats of just oil first if the wood is dry will be a good practice.
Save the leftovers for your cutting board and a lip balm. (no kidding)

Doing this on a sunny day outdoors speeds the process.

Thanks!

I just got done using it and used the vinegar trick to take off anything that I may have missed. I know you are supposed to use a plastic scrapper and damp cloth to clean if possible, but this still has slight ridges from when it was turned. I hope they won't be a cleaning problem.

Just be sure and check in tomorrow and let us know you weren't poisoned by a water-soluble stain, okay? :001_smile

So far, no hallucinations. No, really, it wasn't stained. I had never had something so ancient, other than a book, so I didn't know what I was looking at. Mr. Crafty did, though.

Gents, the photos. Not exactly the best work but I was dodging paper airplanes while trying to get the pictures. In one photo I took, one of the planes landed on the bowl as I snapped the picture.

Top Bottom